Big move to DK- seeking advice for most convenient immigration route!

Hi all,

I am an Indian national, working and living in the UK since past 6 years.

I am planning to move to DK next year with my Danish girlfriend. I am seeking advice about what is the preferred/most convenient immigration route for me to relocate to DK?

1. Since me and my girlfriend are going to get married soon (in UK and the papers are acceptable in DK; I have been in touch with Danish embassy regarding this), I am wondering if there is like a spouse visa or dependent visa that allows me to stay and work in Denmark?

2. I have briefly read about the family re-unification visa. What sort of time scales am I going to be looking at for processing this? Also, is this preferred route over others and why?

3. Green card scheme -
a. I have studied Masters degree in Engineering from a university in UK, under-graduation in engineering from India. So I will be eligible for 60 points for education (for postgrad in UK)?

b. I have also heard if I prove English language proficiency (yes English,  I have read that on: nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_to_dk/work/greencard-scheme/), I will get 40 points

c. Since I am living in UK for past 6 years with 4 years of work experience in UK, I will also be eligible for 10 points for adaptibility. Not sure whether I will also be eligible for an additional 5 points for adaptability for 1 year's legal stay and work in UK.

So that makes atleast 110 points (against 100 points requirement for green card eligibility). The question is: is it as easy as it sounds? or am I missing someting like a special clause?

Among the three routes above, which one is the best for me - I am planning to settle down in Denmark, so this is potentially a permanent relocation.

Some more info: I have started researching the job market in DK now. I plan to move to DK only after I have found a job. I have also started learning Danish so as to give myself a better chance of getting a job and also getting better integrated into the Danish society.

I look forward for some guidance/suggestions/answers etc

tak for hjælpen,

This Is Me

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_t … cation.htm

Everything is here....

Hi Aleksandra Jensen,

Thank you very much for the reply and for the web link

I have been going through many things in the website you have mentioned and learnt that I qualify for more than one things. However, I was not sure about the best route - hence I mentioned different ways that I qualify and trying to seek advice.

For everyone's use and also an addendum to my first question:

I recently l learnt that if I can get a job under the positive list and/or the pay limit scheme, it is particularly easy to get Danish work visa. (nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_to_dk/coming_to_dk.htm)
For family reunification visa, both partners must be atleast 24 years of age.

If any of you is under 24, then it is best not to try family reunification. But, again - all answers you can get if you check the link I sent. If you can get a job - that is perfect!

Does your fiancee have residence in the UK?  Is she working or studying there?  Has it been greater than three months?  If so, she may be able to bring you back to Denmark under EU rights in which all she must do is prove your marriage ties and once you are there, that she has enough money to support you and health insurance for you.
Normally, she would have to go through the national rout, but under the Surinder Singh clause, if an EU citizen moves their center of interest to another EU country for more than three months, they are not subject to their own national law upon return and can use the same EU rights any other EU citizen would to bring family with them.
Read this from top to bottom: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surinder_Singh_route

Best wishes.

Hi rmny345,

Thank you, that is fantastic!!

Yes, she is in UK now. She is doing an apprenticeship. She relocated to UK to live with me in Jan 2014. So, by the time we relocate to DK next year, she would have spent more than 2 years in UK. That should make things easier as you said.

I will go through the link you sent once it has been reviewed and is visible.

Thanks once again for this awesome news,

This is me

Just to let you know, there is a chance the Danish authorities are not aware of the Surinder Singh route or how to properly apply it.  When the time comes, along with the marriage document, you will have to present evidence of her residence and activity, along with bank accounts, rental contracts etc. in the UK to prove that her 'centre of interest' was effectively moved to the UK.  The more you present the better.  What's more important is to present the relevant case law of the European Court of Justice to inform the Danish embassy of this law.  You may need to contact the European Commission's advisory committee and ask specifically how to present this law to the embassy so that things run smoothly.  You can send them an email and they should reply within a week:  ec.europa.eu/eu-rights/enquiry-complaint-form/home?languageCode=en&origin=yea      (just in case my hyperlink doesn't show, you can look up ''your europe advice'' and ''making an enquiry''.
If the embassy fails to administer your rights properly, you may then contact SOLVIT, which is a European Union action committee intervening on behalf of EU citizens (and their family) who migrate to get their rights recognized.
Don't take the Danish embassy's decision as final unless they are granting you a visa--free of charge, based solely on your ties to her with intent to go to Denmark and a flight confirmation. You do not need to show proof of onward destination or bank statements for the visa.
Hope it all works, best of luck!

Hi rmny345
I thank you once again for this very informative response. I cant thank you enough; I will buy you a beer if and when our paths cross  :top:

Your web link is visible - may be it was not when you sent the message as the link goes under review. But it is visible now. I will do as you mentioned in case the Danish embassy rejects my application.

After your first response to my post, I have been researching on the www.nyidanmark.dk website to find if this option is mentioned on the website and stumbled upon something called "Family Reunification under EU law". When I read it briefly, it sounds like the option that you suggested. Would you mind going through once at your convenient time and let me know if it is the same as you mentioned? here is the link: http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_t … eu-law.htm

I am hoping it is the same as you mentioned - in which case I can relatively safely assume that Danish embassy is aware of the clause and will not reject my application.

In any case, it is extremely useful to know about things like SOLVIT.

Thank you so much once again rmny345

This Is Me

Looks like it indeed, but just make sure you print it in both English and Danish for the authorities and be sure to print up the case law and related material specifically on the Surinder Singh case which brought about that part of EU legislation as back-up. Also make sure the websites are listed so they themselves can confirm.  I am saying this because EU embassies are still not all up-to-date on Freedom of Movement Directive law and often, if not deliberately, make mistakes, ask for things they are not supposed to and deny visas for reasons they really are not supposed to.

Hi rmny345,

Thank you once again for the reply and confirmation that the matter in the website is the same as that you mentioned.

Yes, the website is listed as an official website. And, I now remember that when I emailed to the Danish Embassy in the past about some specific matters, the Head of Consular Section in Embassy of Denmark, London, did mention in an email "If you are going to live in Denmark and your partner has worked in the UK you should be able to apply for family reunification under EU law". At that time it did not occur to me that there is a simpler way for to move to Denmark. But, thanks to your clear guidance, I have started to put the pieces together.

Yes, as you mentioned, I will print the case law and submit it to the embassy with my application so there is no trouble in case the case worker is not aware of the law.

I really appreciate your help in this matter. Thank you once again.

This Is Me

yeah, no problem, hope it all works out!

Cheers dude,  :top: