Healthcare in Bolivia

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Bolivia ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Bolivia?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

I would recommend to purchase private health insurance. The public healthcare system is ok, but on overload. Keep in mind there are tons of people in line and long cues.
If you have the resources, it's much better to go to a private clinic and get the help you need.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

Had the experience right away of having an emergency. My daughter fell and broke her femur. At the suggestion of some local expats they took us to CLINICA ANGEL FOIANINI which is the most expensive hospital in Santa Cruz, yet probably the best one. We got in immediately and my daughter had the surgery she needed and came home with a plate and 4 screws. The bill had to be paid before leaving the hospital and since I had no medical insurance here in Bolivia, after just arriving just 2 weeks prior, never crossed my mind that our insurance was worthless here. The bill for the hospital was $2000, the metal plate and screws another $800 and the doctors fees were $2600 for a total of $5400 US dollars out of pocket. When I compare to the USA there is no way she could have had this surgery at this price. The stay at the hospital was top notch.
Yet I am looking for insurance that will cover us while we live here, so that the funds I have remaining are not exhausted.
Any suggestions from expats who have gotten insured with a good and least costly medical insurance program.