Best place to live in Ecuador...

GranuaileOMalley wrote:

Does a person have to apply for and obtain the Visa prior to moving to Ecuador, or can it be done after arriving there?  Also, what documents are required in order to qualify for a Visa?  How often do you have to renew your visa...?

A residency-visa application must be submitted in Ecuador, by you or by your attorney/representative.

For a U.S. citizen, your Ecuadorian consulate in the U.S. will not take your visa application directly.

You've expressed interest in avoiding optional fees, so I won't go into detail about how you can obtain the residency visa while still in the U.S.  Go to www.gringovisas.com for more information if desired.

I'm not qualified to give you a complete list of visa documents you'll need.  The official website with English option (green language-'button') is:

www.cancilleria.gob.ec/visas-inmigrante/?lang=en

Probably the documents you will need include your passport, your birth certificate, FBI and local criminal-background checks, marriage and divorce certificates, and apostilles.  Those are international certifications that will have to be attached to most of your documents.  Presuming that you move to Ecuador after the death of your husband, an apostilled death certificate may be required.

Most documents will have to be translated in Ecuador.

A few days after you obtain residency, you may obtain the national ID card.

The visa is a permanent residency visa, so, under current law, does not need to be renewed.  When it comes time to renew your U.S. passport, there may be some paperwork, since the visa will have to be transferred to the new passport.  My passport is up for renewal next year, but for now I do not know how that transfer is accomplished and properly registered.

cccmedia in Quito

Hi CDJ
My name is David and living in Ocala Florida.I am also very concerned about the direction the us is going.I have been researching Ecuador for some time now and am leaning towards Loja as I feel that it offers everything that I want and need.By the way,where is Lakewood Ranch?

David

Hi CDJ  (CJD)
My name is David and living in Ocala Florida.I am also very concerned about the direction the us is going.I have been researching Ecuador for some time now and am leaning towards Loja as I feel that it offers everything that I want and need.By the way,where is Lakewood Ranch?

Hi David,   We are looking at Cuenca for now and will visit soon. Loja looks interesting but they say Spanish is really necessary there and my Spanish is not too good at this point.
BTW This site (Expat.com) has a lot of great info (per subject) in regards to getting ready if you are looking to do a residency visa. CCC does a great job, watch his posts and you can learn much of the process and avoid possible problems.  He will also help you with your Spanish.  Lakewood Ranch is east of Brandenton slightly north of Sarasota.   CJD

Thanks for the compliment, CJD.

David and I did not see eye-to-eye on some conceptual issues on another thread.  But I welcome him in his move to Ecuador, and I hope we can 'agree to disagree' on any differences of opinion previously expressed.

cccmedia in Quito

You are entirely welcome CCC....I enjoy your posts and all the valuable  info and have made a personal information guide for us for  when we start the process.....which looks to be soon. If all goes as planned or not planned we want to visit June or July.   :)    What thread did you and David not see eye to eye ??
CJD

I'll send you a PM with that information.

cccmedia in Quito

Yes we certainly can CCC

Long-time Expat and Quito real-estate businesswoman Liliya Bykova has just shared her opinions about one of the most pricey sectors in Ecuador:  La Carolina.  It's the developed area around Parque La Carolina in north Quito, home to corporate-type businesses, high-rise condos and upscale eateries.

Lily doesn't like La Carolina and says she wouldn't live there if she was paid to do so.

It's a depressing "concrete jungle" in her opinion with too heavy a concentration of high-rise buildings...too congested with vehicles and their pollution, and noisy.

"When it rains," she says, "streets turn into a swimming pool."  She recalls wading in high water to cross at the Amazonas-Naciones Unidas intersection.

On the other hand, Lily likes another area of Quito that attracts Expats and visitors:  certain tree-lined streets in Mariscal sector.

In Centro Histórico, she likes three neighborhoods or streets in particular:  La Ronda (where she owns rental property), Rocafuerte and Benalcazar.

source:  Liliya Bykova website, www.dayinquito.blogspot.com

cccmedia, living at Benalcazar and Oriente in Quito

CJD wrote:

This site (Expat.com) has a lot of great info... CJD

In our PM exchange, I learned that CJD loves to cook.  She had a couple of questions about electricity in Ecuador and did not object to me responding on the wider forum.

Q: How do the appliances I use here in the U.S. like my Vita-Mix operate on a different voltage in Ecuador?  Crock pots, electric knife sharpener, George Foreman grill, etc.?

Actually, 21st century Ecuador uses the same 110-120 plugs and outlets that are standard in the U.S.

If the equipment you mentioned above works in the U.S., you should not have a problem using such 'small' appliances in any Ecuadorian city.

I occasionally rented in Quito on my visits here before moving to my condo apartment two years ago, and have never encountered any need for adapters or transformers at any location here. 

If you purchase any major appliances in Ecuador, check your electrical outlets beforehand and talk with your landlord or 'super' (and the store if necessary) about them, before the purchase. 

For the more advanced topics of grounding and polarization, some readers may wish to visit www.adaptelec.com ...

To access directly Adaptelec's detailed page on Ecuador electricity, google:
    adaptelec electrical plug/outlet and voltage information ecuador

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks again CCC !!! :top:

Matt.
You might want to check out Loja in the Sierras.It is probably as close as you can get for what you want.

GentIsle wrote:

Cuenca is a nice place that we like to visit every few months, but would not live there as it rains too often. It has also been overrun by American and expat real estate "professionals" (tongue in cheek on that one, which has made prices go up substantially in the last few years,...Gentisle

At best the foreign population of Cuenca 1.6%of the total population.  Ex-pats tend to congregate in the Historic Center so it may seem that there are a lot more than there really are.  Prices have rise in the city of Cuenca, but to lay it all at the feet of greedy expat real estate agents and gullible expats is a bit of a stretch.  A great many  ex-pats that I know are on a very limited budget and unable to afford high rents and have any quality of life.  The root causes are a lot more complicated, including returning Ecuadorians who are used to prices in Italy, Spain and the US and recent import restrictions...

As to the best city in Ecuador...the one that you are the happiest in.  For me it happens to be Cuenca.  For others, not somuch.

Glad I found this site!
I've been hearing and reading a lot about Cuenca as being the best place to live in Ecuador.   Does anyone have some other places in Ecuador that they think rate pretty high?   I have heard that some people have found some lovely spots in the country with a few acres.
Requirements:
mild climate - not too hot or rainy
cheap prices -
good infrastructure
fresh air

Is there a guide for expats?

klfx wrote:

Glad I found this site!...Is there a guide for expats?

Welcome to Expat.com's Ecuador Forum, KLFX*....

Yes, there's a guide, and it's shockingly easy to find. :D

Just type the words new Ecuador Expat guide into the Search Expat.com box at the top of this page, and then click on the search icon to the right of the box.

Then scroll down about 1/4 of the page to the link for the Expat guide.

cccmedia in Quito

*Some of our Texas members may be aware that KLFX, aka "The Fox Rocks 107.3 FM," plays music for the folks in the Killeen, TX, area. ;)

Hi I've been strongly contemplating a bold move as a single not quite retirement age African American woman moving to Ecuador for month or so to learn Spanish and explore the possibilities of living abroad.

I'm seeking advise on the following: 1. best place to live with cafes culture and activities that's relatively safe 2. A place to learn Spanish and my Spanish is very beginner level. 3. Affordable and comfortable living not to exceed 2000 per month.4. I would like to volunteer and serve while living in the country

klfx wrote:

Requirements:
mild climate - not too hot or rainy
cheap prices -
good infrastructure
fresh air

To start, we'll eliminate the largest cities, as they don't have the best air, and everything at around sea level because it's typically warm to hot at that low altitude near the Equator.

Check out these highlands places online and come back with any questions....

Cotacachi, Vilcabamba, Quito suburbs (including Tumbaco and Cumbayá).

The largest cities have the best infrastructure including healthcare, but not the lowest prices.  Overall, Ecuador offers high value for the dollar  for food and services except for imported items, electronics and major appliances.

cccmedia in Quito

Kwillia01 wrote:

I'm seeking advise on the following: 1. best place to live with cafes culture and activities that's relatively safe 2. A place to learn Spanish and my Spanish is very beginner level. 3. Affordable and comfortable living not to exceed 2000 per month.4. I would like to volunteer and serve while living in the country.

Congratulations, Kwillia of Washington, D.C., you're on your way to Cuenca, Ecuador.

It fits your criteria #1-3.  It's not the cheapest place in La República, but your budget will work out fine.

For volunteer opportunities in Cuenca, visit:

www.gringopost.comwww.cuencahighlife.comwww.tribelr.com (formerly the Gringo Tree website)

For more posts about Cuenca, type the words cuenca expat into the Search Expat.com box atop this page, and then click on the search icon to the right of said box.

cccmedia in Quito

Hi,

which part of North coast is good for a  family with young kids please?  is it a developed area or more like a town please? any information would be great

Nash.

The north coast of Ecuador is safer than a few years ago thanks to more police and a coast-guard type presence.  However, criminal activity spilling over from Colombia remains a concern.

The town of San Lorenzo is still considered part of the U.S. State Department's no-go zone, which consists of the areas of northern Ecuador near the Colombian border (except for Tulcán, which is well east of the Pacific Coast). 

The travel.state.gov pages for Ecuador are still warning folks away from northern Esmeraldas province including the city of Esmeraldas.

State Department personnel need special permission to visit the  northern coast and are not to visit there when off duty.
www.travel.state.gov

Pick a different area, Nash, or head past Esmeraldas and go further South down the coast.

cccmedia in Quito

I am a big fan of the north coast of Ecuador, from a perspective of real estate investment (I am a real estate investment consultant) or from the standpoint of starting your own business, etc. Basically, financial reasons, or just a beautiful place (and it is beautiful) to enjoy "the lifestyle". However, for someone with school age children, hard for me to be very positive about the education options in the region, this despite that initiatives by President Correa have elevated education standards and accessibility across the nation. Still, tough area to champion "excellence in education". You might want to look further south...a lot further south...on the coast.

Where is the best place for a single mother with 8 yo son?  I'd like to be safe, have several schools to choose from (including. International options), activities for kids (sports?), and access to non-GMO, organics meats, dairy, and produce.

Do you have a good hospital close to you in Cumbaya? Are the roads bad?
Do houses and apartments have yards to plant veggies?

OrganicMom wrote:

Where is the best place for a single mother with 8 yo son?  I'd like to be safe, have several schools to choose from (including. International options), activities for kids (sports?), and access to non-GMO, organics meats, dairy, and produce.

IMO:  Cuenca and vicinity.  Or the Quito suburbs if you like it a little warmer.

cccmedia in Quito

seastar46 wrote:

Do you have a good hospital close to you in Cumbaya?
Are the roads bad?
Do houses and apartments have yards to plant veggies?

Yes.  No.  Yes.

The hospital is Hospital de los Valles.

cccmedia in Quito

I was leaning toward Cuenca, or the outskirts, but an expat who's lived there for many years just told me that while you used to be able to live there comfortably for $800 per month, now it's more like $1200 per month.  That's a little too close for comfort as far as my budget goes.  So, I'm re-evaluating.

Wow, I guess that's my favorite place. Do you think I could work as private Spanish interpreter for English Language speakers like in hospitals or so?

OrganicMom wrote:

I was leaning toward Cuenca, or the outskirts, but an expat who's lived there for many years just told me that while you used to be able to live there comfortably for $800 per month, now it's more like $1200 per month.  That's a little too close for comfort as far as my budget goes.  So, I'm re-evaluating.

That Expat is probably 'right on the money' so to speak.  Cuenca rents have gone way up, according to anecdotal reports, probably because Cuenca has become one of the hottest Expat retirement locations in the world.  It's relatively safe and is lower in altitude than Quito proper.

For recent pricing there and other EC locations, visit www.numbeo.com

cccmedia in Quito

seastar46 wrote:

Do you think I could work as private Spanish interpreter for English Language speakers like in hospitals or so?

Depends on your knowledge of Spanish medical terminology, your ability to sell your skills, visa technicalities, hospital rules and possibly other factors.

Speaking in general, not about hospitals, bi-lingual skills will probably be more and more important in the job market here as new waves of Baby Boomers invade La República.

cccmedia in Quito

I worked as an ESL teacher here in USA for about 10 years. I just applied at the Department of Education, brought my resumé and my collage degree and I was hired. Can I do that in Cuenca or
any other place in Ecuador if I move there for good?

seastar46 wrote:

I worked as an ESL teacher here in USA for about 10 years. I just applied at the Department of Education, brought my resumé and my collage degree and I was hired. Can I do that in Cuenca or
any other place in Ecuador if I move there for good?

Cuenca is a possible choice for this, although there are a lot of Gringos there and some might be trying the same thing.

Meaning competition.

Quito has a smaller percentage of Gringos, is the national capital, is a business center, has many language schools and has seven times the population of Cuenca, so the opportunities here are greater.  And that population statistic doesn't even take into account the populations of Tumbaco, Cumbayá and the other increasingly-popular suburbs of the capital.

cccmedia in Quito

You also might look into getting the "professional" type visa if you have university degrees and bilingual skills

As a woman who has travelled to over 30 countries I can guarrantee Cuenca and the Andes in general are not places where women are verbally harassed.

I have been looking at Canoa as a place to settle. Can anyone give me any insights as to the positives and negatives of living there? I have a 12-year-old and a 4-year-old.

Canoa ...

Visually attractive ... ocean proximity.

Limited infrastructure ... limited healthcare.

Avoid during the upcoming peak of El Niño season.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you! Any thoughts on crucita?

tajaimassey wrote:

Thank you! Any thoughts on crucita?

FWIW:
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3710381http://www.ecuador.com/blog/adventure-i … of-crucita

Searches on the 'net for Crucita, Ecuador turn up a number of hits.

cccmedia wrote:

Canoa ...

Visually attractive ... ocean proximity.

Limited infrastructure ... limited healthcare.

Avoid during the upcoming peak of El Niño season.

cccmedia in Quito

Your pretty quick to steer people away from Canoa, Did you not think to mention Canoa is located 15 minutes north of one of the most modern towns on the Coast Bahia de Caraquez. or one hour from the fastest growing city in Ecuador, Manta.

Moving to Canoa or Crucita is fine, there are plenty of expats already enjoying the good life minutes away from first class infrastructure and Healthcare

I gave two positive reasons to consider Canoa and two reasons for pause.  I'm not intentionally steering anyone away from there. 

But Expats need to know that the infrastructure in some of these charming little beach and fishing pueblos may be below their standards before they make the mistake of arriving in Ecuador and buying into a 'once-in-a-lifetime' ocean-view property-deal during their first week.

Bahía de Caráquez (bah-EE-ah day kah-RAH-kez) is a beach city that has gotten overwhelmingly good reviews from Expats in recent years.  Better infrastructure might be a reason for an Expat to choose Bahía over Canoa.  Given the barriers/disincentives to getting a drivers license in Ecuador, a 15-mile distance to shopping and emergency health care may seem greater than one would expect.

Manta, "the Baltimore of Ecuador," is a major industrial port with a film festival, an airport and good surfing. 

cccmedia in Quito

"Avoid during the upcoming peak of El Niño season"

Come on , The El Nino effects all of Ecuador.
The North Manabi coast was affected last time because the roads were dirt and crappy.(dirt plus rain =mud) now they are highways. World class surfers from all over the world come to Manabi just for this amazing phenomenal.

Although El Niño may affect all of Ecuador, it is the coast and the Galápagos Islands that are most at risk.

I said to avoid Canoa during the peak of El Niño weather because we were discussing Canoa in particular.  The other coastal towns will be impacted, too.

El Niño, named after the Christ child because it peaks around Christmas, will especally put Canoa and the rest of the coastal communities at risk in December of this year (2015) and early next year.

Our primary El Niño thread on this forum at present is titled El Niño 2015, and is reachable by typing the thread name into the search box atop this page and then clicking on the search icon.

cccmedia in Quito