Settle down in Colombia - jobsearch

Hey fellows,

Let me shortly introduce myself: I am from Germany, 24 years old, last year I graduated as BA in Economics from Julius-Maximilians-University of Wuerzburg. Currently I am working as Personnel consultant (actually Headhunting) at a telemarketing company near my hometown.

I plan to settle down in Bogotá for the longer term. My girlfriend studies over there, she is Colombian, I met her in Germany when she did an Au-Pair year. In spring I spent nearly 3 months travelling around and staying in Bogotá. So far so good. But to settle down I need a work and this seems to be tricky.

My ideas:

- Work in companies in sales, communication or related fields (Already sent a lot of applications + used elempleo.com) - Problem: Many jobs are really paid with the minimum wage which is definitely not enough to survive on your own. I already had some Skype interviews but until now I couldn´t find something steady.

- Work as language teacher. I am fluently in English (C1 CEFR) and Spanish (B2 CEFR), already lived half a year each in Spain and in Thailand, therefore I am accustomed to live abroad and I think making friends etc. won´t be the big deal. Guess doing something like the CELTA would be raise my chances to find a decent position.

You see it´s all not that easy. Maybe some members have more experience about finding a work in Bogotá and can give me advice, I´d really appreciate that!

Cheers

Louis

Hi Louis

As a recent graduated, you may expect jobs paid between 1.5 and 2 million pesos. Maybe 2.5 if you're lucky (some engineers can be pais up to 2.5 millions).
From 1.5 million and above, it is livable. Of course you won't live in an estrato 6 apartment in Chico, and won't be able to spend your festivos on the Carribean coast, but it is manageable.
You may check if there is some demand for some native german speakers in language schools. With no teaching diploma, you'll probably be limited to private language schools, with a teaching diploma, you may try the Goethe Institut of Bogota or some private schools like El Gimnasio Colombo Alemán or El Colegio Andino.

If I may say, this is the kind of things you *have* to do when you're still young and with no strong ties. As you mentioned, you already experienced the expat life.

If you can financially do it, try to arrange a "job trip" to Colombia. Nothing beats direct contact with people, especially in Colombia where it's all a matter of personal trust between two people (and your diploma!) more than your work experience.

Hey Steve - first of all thanks for your answer!

I already looked for jobs as teacher in German schools, nevertheless many of them really want certificates and don´t easily take everybody who is just native-speaker. You can get a "German as foreign language" certificate in Goethe, but it takes nearly 1 year where you work for small money until they handle you that title.

I will continue to search and send emails, if I can´t find sth I will just head over in summer. Talking to people face to face seems more effective to get a job than doing internet research and sending applications by email.

Dear Luis,

To live with a local salary in Colombia is not an easy task.. If I would been in  your situation I would set up a small business from home selling services as headhunter to large HR  companies for specific HR projects or as indpendent advisor / support person. Some of the colombian HR companies activ in this field are found at Linkedin.

Thanks for your advice epsacori, I already thought about setting up a own business. I see the main difficulties in:
a) not knowing enough about the Colombian market yet
b) not speaking Spanish on a business fluent level (as a headhunter you need to gain trust and persuade people which you do by talking to them, therefore being language proficient increases your chances to be successfull)
Nevertheless I ll get more information about Colombian HR companies, new ideas are always welcome!

Cheers

My advise would be to apply for a remote job, working for a German or other European company, that way you get paid European salary but can work from anywhere in the world. The most common remote jobs are sales, internet sales, or B2B sales such as financial products, as long as you have reliable internet and a good laptop and headset, even if they pay you less than if you lived in Europe or USA, it probably will be more than the average in Co pesos.

Good luck!

Hey MarkGonz, good idea I didn´t consider that yet!
I ll take a look what is possible in this field. But how could I get a resident visa (which you get with a job in Colombia) when I just have a remote job and work for a company somewhere else? Any other way to get that visa in case you can prove you have a regular income?

To get a visa for Colombia you need to start at obe of the many Consulates in Germany, I'm sure there is one near you.

Ok, actually my plan was moving to Bogotá in a few months with a tourist visa (in case I didnt get a job yet from over here). Then I would look for a job right there and as soon I found one I would try to change it to a resident visa with work permission.

If I were you I would contact the consulate and begin the process of getting a T10 visa. With a visa you can stay as long as you want and leave when ever you want also. http://www.cancilleria.gov.co/en/proced … ices/visas

MarkGonz wrote:

If I were you I would contact the consulate and begin the process of getting a T10 visa. With a visa you can stay as long as you want and leave when ever you want also. http://www.cancilleria.gov.co/en/proced … ices/visas

That´s the easiest way to get your permanent visa. In accordance to the colombian immigration law your right to stay in colombia will not be affected if for any reason you will break up your commitment with your girlfriend after a minimum of 3 years of having lived together. If you will go for that visa type you should also study the colombian family law.

epsacori wrote:
MarkGonz wrote:

That´s the easiest way to get your permanent visa. In accordance to the colombian immigration law your right to stay in colombia will not be affected if for any reason you will break up your commitment with your girlfriend after a minimum of 3 years of having lived together. If you will go for that visa type you should also study the colombian family law.

How do we need to prove that we have a relationship? I mean we are not married and I neither plan to do that in the near future. I am even not sure if we will live together from the beginning because she still lives at her parents place. When she just would affirm that we are in a stable relationship, is it enough to apply for the TP 10 Visa?

loufre wrote:
epsacori wrote:
MarkGonz wrote:

How do we need to prove that we have a relationship? I mean we are not married and I neither plan to do that in the near future. I am even not sure if we will live together from the beginning because she still lives at her parents place. When she just would affirm that we are in a stable relationship, is it enough to apply for the TP 10 Visa?

Actually, you need to set "union libre" with your gf. It is a rather simple process with a notaria.The legal name of the document is "Union marital de hecho". You basically just have to provide birth certificates, IDs (her cedula de ciudadania, your passport), a letter stating you are living together (no proof needed). And that's it. With this paper from a notaria, you can request TP-10 visa. Beware though, after 2 years of "union marital de hecho", Colombian laws consider that the "sociedad patrimonial" is formed, In other words, this means that you're getting to the same obligations as a marriage. Keep an entry in your agenda a bit before the end of the 2 years to remind you to reconsider your union marital de hecho depending on the updated situation with your gf.

Hi,
You might find this blog post useful for information about teaching English / the CELTA course in Bogotá. http://www.howtobogota.com/2014/05/04/t … in-bogota/

This gives information about the process of applying for a partner visa (please also read the comments section for updates):
http://www.howtobogota.com/2014/01/06/p … -colombia/

I would see if there are any jobs being recruited for at the German, Swiss, Austrian consulates/embassies in Bogotá as these are usually well-paid, and this is what many expats try to do - I know a Finnish woman who was looking for a job for quite a while in Colombia and finally managed to get a good one at the Swedish embassy.

Another option: Bunny Inc. is a new innovational company searching for an English and Spanish-speaking Executive Assistant, and Recruitment Manager. https://bunnyinc.hiringthing.com/

Have a look at those links and see what you think! :) Good luck!

Guess you are the author of the howtobogota blog? I already read something of it and I really liked it, you deliver great info. The Celta could be an option if nothing more works out well.

Thank you as well Steve! Partner Visa sounds good but I think I will start to apply for it in Colombia with my gf and go over with a tourist visa.

Thanks Louis, I'm glad you've found it useful :)
If you're thinking of doing the CELTA, as a non-native speaker you will probably need to prove your level of English somehow, such as with an IELTS score or some other English exam. I can vouch for the CELTA at the British Council, and I have friend who did it at International House - I believe both offer excellent quality, but the facilities and the technology at the British Council are MUCH better!

Ok I already contacted them both and I will see what to do. I have a DAAD-certificate which proves C1 level in English (Common European Framework - CEFR). Do you think that´s enough, not only to apply but also to pass the test and be capable of working as an English teacher?
The International House told me that would be enough to apply for the Celta. I am still waiting for an answer of the British Council. Lets see...

Hola!

Puedes venir a Colombia y buscar empleo desde aqui. es mas facil

JORGEMANCERA wrote:

Hola!

Puedes venir a Colombia y buscar empleo desde aqui. es mas facil

ENGLISH please as this is an English speaking forum.
Thank you.

You can come to Colombia and seek work from here, Sorry but my english is bad

Hi guys

I consider moving to colombia / bogota as well an work "remotely" there for an european company or an a freelancer basis.

Do you know which VISA is required for such a "remote work"?
Is the TP-7 (independent activities) the right one for this purpose?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

boreas wrote:

I consider moving to colombia / bogota as well an work "remotely" there for an european company or an a freelancer basis.

Actually, the temporary visa TP-4 is for a foreigner who has a job in Colombia.

The TP-7 that you mentioned is for retirees / investors / folks with incomes from outside Colombia.

Provided that you have a job contract with a company for work in Colombia, you should contact that company about the paperwork, including the appropriate visa.  They should provide you with any work documents you need to obtain the correct visa.

Source: www.medellinliving.com

cccmedia from Zona Cafetera, Colombia

cccmedia wrote:
boreas wrote:

Actually, the temporary visa TP-4 is for a foreigner who has a job in Colombia.

The TP-7 that you mentioned is for retirees / investors / folks with incomes from outside Colombia.

Provided that you have a job contract with a company for work in Colombia, you should contact that company about the paperwork, including the appropriate visa.  They should provide you with any work documents you need to obtain the correct visa.

Source: www.medellinliving.com

cccmedia from Zona Cafetera, Colombia

Thank you very much for your reply.

I guess the TP-7 is indeed the VISA i need if i wanna work remotely for a foreign company.

Does anyone have experiences in getting this kind of visa or does anyone have an input regarding the special requirements?

I unfortunately only found out that you need to proof an average balance in the bank account of the last six months which is higher than fifteen monthly minimum legal salaries. (Does it matter from which job this income comes from or is it important that it is a result of the same work you planning to do in the future?)

Thanks a lot!!

Did you read the sections on medellinliving.com that list the various TP-7 visas, including the financial requirement(s) for investing in a business in Colombia?

After reading these sections, are you still sure a TP-7 is the relevant visa for you?

cccmedia in Zona Cafeteria, Colombia

cccmedia wrote:

Did you read the sections on medellinliving.com that list the various TP-7 visas, including the financial requirement(s) for investing in a business in Colombia?

After reading these sections, are you still sure a TP-7 is the relevant visa for you?

cccmedia in Zona Cafeteria, Colombia

You're right!

Apply for a TP-10 (spouse visa) seems to be the better and easier solution.

Thanks again!