Car, fine and road licence in Malta

Hello everybody,

I bought a car here in Malta, well registered but to be honest I wasn't really serious with it... The fact is now I have many fines that I haven't paid and a road licence late...
I'm not using this car anymore and intend to leave Malta in a couple of month, so the best thing will be to sell it, but with the fines and without the road licence nobody will want it !

My questions are :

- Does the fine belong to the country where is the car, or everywhere in Europe ? (I'm thinking about selling it in Sicily, and I would like to know if all the fines will be cancel by changing the country)

- Is it possible to take the ferry without road licence ? Does they check it ?

- If a road licence is over from July 2014, and I want to regularize the situation, in July 2015 will I have to pay for the new year or for 2 years (the past year and the one starting) 

Many thanks for you help even if I'm a bad girl who wasn't serious at all ! :-D

aline270990 wrote:

Hello everybody,

I bought a car here in Malta, well registered but to be honest I wasn't really serious with it... The fact is now I have many fines that I haven't paid and a road licence late...
I'm not using this car anymore and intend to leave Malta in a couple of month, so the best thing will be to sell it, but with the fines and without the road licence nobody will want it !

My questions are :

- Does the fine belong to the country where is the car, or everywhere in Europe ? (I'm thinking about selling it in Sicily, and I would like to know if all the fines will be cancel by changing the country)

- Is it possible to take the ferry without road licence ? Does they check it ?

- If a road licence is over from July 2014, and I want to regularize the situation, in July 2015 will I have to pay for the new year or for 2 years (the past year and the one starting) 

Many thanks for you help even if I'm a bad girl who wasn't serious at all ! :-D

you would still be liable for the fines in europe an eu directive allows the sharing of fines and offences to do with cars

EU Directive introduced in November 2013 to facilitate cross-border exchange of information on road safety related traffic offences to ensure that drivers are punished for offences committed abroad.

Aimed at speeding, drink/drug driving, failure to wear seatbelts/crash helmets, red light and forbidden lane offences,  and use of mobile phone offences, directive 2011/82/EU enabled drivers to be identified and prosecuted for offences committed in a Member State other than the one where their vehicle is registered.

you would need to register the car asap and you pay 2 euros a day for every day you were late as well as the new fee but you do get a 3month grace period from the end of the last licence ie if licence ran out last july you wouldnt have to pay august september and october but would have to pay 2 euros a day from then on ..

If the road licence is due to be renewed it is advisable to check whether the roadworthiness test is due. This can be checked online.

Any fees and outstanding penalties must be paid before the transfer takes place.

so you could transfer ownership of the car but would need to pay any outstanding fees before hand ..

im looking for a car depending on price and type but you would need to pay anyoutstandig fees first

or I can pay the fine depending on what it is and you give me the car lol as tearnet suggested in your other post

:)

why not just pay the fines,you got them :dave

why is it nobody wants to pay their fines ?

who knows why,they just done care,they must think they are above the law

it simply perpetuates the "lawless society"

Toon wrote:

it simply perpetuates the "lawless society"

To be fair, that phrase would perfectly describe how most Mediterranean countries operate, and there is the old saying "When in Rome.....". Or "If you can't beat them, join them." It is no excuse though, or at best a poor one.

oh i know - its the same here - but things are changing slowly