Health insurance options in Panama

Hi,

First off sorry if I'm asking a question that has been answered over and over already -- I did read around on the net a number of articles about health insurance in Panama, which from my understanding comes down to the government provided one, local Insurance provider, or international insurance provider.

What is not clear to me is whether or not heath insurance provided by local companies (i.e. for example the ones listed here) is available also to non resident, or one in order to qualify for such insurance has to be a resident / citizen.

Looking at their websites it seems their options are cheaper than the ones provided by international health insurance companies such as Cigna, Bupa, etc.

Thanks!

- Adriano

Sorry I am not familiar with their insurance since I did not need to participate.  Blue Cross/Blue Shield is accepted almost everywhere and that was the coverage that we had and  I do know that they accepted what the insurance company compensated them for.  Good idea for you to get other input on this, I was only sharing our experience while in Panama.
Our friends did have their pensionado, so that may have been how they qualified for the insurance, but it is something I do not know.  To the best of my knowledge Panamanians do not have to have insurance.
Please go to Chiriquiri Chatter and Don Ray can answer your questions because he works for the US Embassy.

Use Don Ray,he can also answer any other questions you have.
Or email me as i lived there a year.
[email protected]
Good Luck
Tom