Raids on expatriates homes

It happening already as what I heard from others.....

The Jakarta Post

Quote:

The Jakarta Population and Civil Registration Agency has aired plans to launch raids on expatriates' homes in Jakarta, following reports that many foreigners lack proper documents.

Agency head Edison Sianturi said the agency was currently mapping residential areas to target.

“We will work together with local leaders to find out where foreigners without proper documents usually reside,” he said as quoted by kompas.com on Thursday.

The agency will work with related institutions, including the immigration office, the local police and the Jakarta Public Order Agency (Satpol PP) to carry out the raids.

On Tuesday, the Central Jakarta Immigration Office arrested five foreigners on Jl. Jaksa in Indonesia without proper documents. The next day, City Police arrested 33 Chinese nationals at a house in Pasar Minggu, South Jakarta, for allegedly carrying out cyber crimes. - See more at: http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/0 … .BHkXVBtX.

Unquote:

This has been going on in Bali for a while.  There are way, way too many illegal villas here lacking the proper building permits, and also those being rented out without a proper business license, thus avoiding paying taxes.  They are also going after so called “nominee schemes” also with the objective being to recovered due and unpaid taxes. 

To say that I've been seeing many unhappy faces on a lot of expats lately would be an understatement.

Nothing like a good witch hunt and shifting the attention away from Indonesia's real problems by always reporting immigration raids or stories about expats. Surely the press has something better to report, not just sensationalised limited stories with limited news content.

Well, at least they do something right once in a while, though there are bigger problems that need fixing... I hope they really arrest those without legal papers as suppose to 'scaring other expats' for the sake of bribes...

They have been doing raids forever regardless of where but its all of sudden news. Jacksa is always an easy target and immigration camping out in foyers of Apartments again is nothing new but clearly the newspapers have nothing else to report about Indonesia so that must mean all is well everywhere else.

Go to any country, disregard it's laws, pay the price.  I am tired of all the self righteous, self serving expats who come here thinking that they can do as they please, showing no or little respect for this countries laws.

VERY well said!   :top::top::top:

One can only imagine how unemployed Indonesian's must feel when they see or hear about expats living here and working illegally, possibly taking a job from them.  It is no wonder that there is now an ever growing backlash showing up in the form of violence against visitors.  Envy, poverty, hatred towards us, is becoming a serious problem on Bali.  It will only get worse as the expat population continues to explode as it is, especially if those who come here show little or no respect for the people, the cultures, or the laws.

This was a big thing a few years ago with the SKTT, or not having one.
I recall there was a big push in Tangerang as very few foreigners held one.
If memory serves, the fines were about Rp500,000 per offence.

One of the big issues with not having local documentation is the lack of available information.

Many local officials don't know and a few don't seem to want foreigners have get the correct documents.
My latest house move is an example.
The previous guys simply refused to let either my wife or I get a KTP, the new guys just didn't know how to deal with it`
My wife's is in process, but that's taken four months, mine will take a further two weeks as I had to find the local area office because the local guys didn't know how to do it.

The letter of residence alone took almost three months, so I was unable to report my change of address to immigration. As it goes, that didn't cause any problems with them, but it could easily have if they thought I was up to something.

You'll find the required forms for KTP WNA on the sticky at the top of the Indonesia page.

Is it just me or weren't most countries founded by immigrants? So they will come and kick in your door and ask for your passport. WOW silly beyond belief. Most peoples passport is with an agent, so i guess if you don't have it on you….Bye Bye!!
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130914051027/degrassi/images/e/e4/I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore-11372-1920x1200.jpg

"[img][link under review]"

I think I know what story you linked to, and from I understand that wasn't exactly properly reported.  In any event, a few phone calls and for those who had proper immigration status, the issue was resolved.  Moreover, in a home raid, even if the passport was at immigration, the expat would still have lots of immigration paper work in their home. 

"Is it just me or weren't most countries founded by immigrants?"

That would depend on how you define immigrants and how far back in a country's history do they go. 

For certain, Indonesia wasn't founded by immigrants.

Never heard that passports of most people are with the agents.

The agent only need the passport a couple of days when processing the KITAS and MERP at the Immigration.

Once finished the passport will be returned.

In this case it looks as if immigration documents are one issue, another being lack of local documents.

http://wartakota.tribunnews.com/2015/03 … -kontrakan

That explains how they've been after locals without the correct documents.

http://news.okezone.com/read/2015/05/14 … wna-ilegal

That one tells more about foreigners without immigration documents, probably illegal immigrants.
I don't expect anyone here is daft enough to live here without a KITAS/P or whatever is required, so we have no worries...... unless you are that daft.

Again, the targets seem to be groups of foreigners living together, possibly engaged in other crime.

http://metropostonline.com/5-wna-terjar … -di-jakut/

This one mentions foreigners arrested for not having an SKTT or KTP.
That was 2011

"Never heard that passports of most people are with the agents."

This is, or was, more common with 60 day visas that are renewable for 4 X 30 days Tom.  During that whole renewal process...the four months, it is more common that the passport stays with the agent for processing the next renewal.

I remember well during my sosbud years that I wouldn't see my passport more than when needed to make my bi-annual visa runs.

Traveling within Indonesia was never a problem...a simple photo copy of the passport and a receipt letter from the visa agent was always more than sufficient.

Perhaps we should clarify the required documents, including those you should carry with you.

You must have a valid immigration document, ranging from a tourist visa to a KITAP
If you only have a tourist visa in a passport, I'd carry that with you, but in a secure undershirt belt wallet.
KITAS holders should also get an SKTT. This process starts with your local Pak RT, but they commonly don't know what to do, so you may have to go to your local head office to get it.
I used to carry a photocopy of my KITAS/SKTT and the original SKTT.

KITAP holders require a KTP OA. This should start with your local Pak RT, but you might well have to go to the head office as some don't want you to have it, and others don't know how to do it.
You don't have to get an SKTT.

You'll find information about the KTP OA in the sticky thread at the top of the Indonesia page, including the forms you'll need to fill out.

SKTT?  I just carry my C drivers license.

Your driving license might be not enough these days.....

I would have residence permit and STM still have handy in copy as long you are on KITAS here

Totally agree. 

What gives a visitor the right to come here and work illegally, taking jobs from those who can barely survive here? 

I say, round 'em up and deport them!

Believe it or not, in some circles of newly arrived would be expats, there is this belief that they have a right to live and work in Indonesia as they please.  Some even espouse the belief that they are somehow endowed to “save the Balinese (or other Indonesians) from themselves.” 

Occasionally running into these folks personally at one or another restaurant or bar in Bali has always proven to be hugely big fun for me, and also a great source of entertainment for the service staff in ear shot of such discussions. :D

BTW, my two thumbs up on your choice of avatar!   :top:

Yes, they can be entertaining and also avoidable like the plague.

I really dislike expats who arrive in a country, do nothing but moan about the place, then proceed to tell the world how great they are, and how much better Indonesia would be if it was exactly like their country.
I generally recommend a trip to the nearest airport.

Indonesia is a wonderful country; you just have to open your eyes and you'll see it.

That might sometimes be the difference between people being sent to work overseas and people choosing where to work or live overseas. Obviously Indonesia is not perfect, poverty, corruption, filthy in many places, disease, flooding etc, but then we should look at the nice things like great beaches, superb scenery, nice food, low cost of living and friendly local people. We take the good with the bad. And if you don't like it then you can always choose Thailand or Vietnam or Cambodia or some other exotic place. They all have nice food, beaches and scenery and rich history. They all have their good points and their bad points.

I see no excuse in the reason you're in a country.
So a person came to Indonesia for work (Not forgetting the fat sack of cash they did it for), but they should still respect their host country.
Indonesia has its faults, as do all countries, but I see a great future for my adopted islands - that and the people here are great.
Thailand advertises as the land of smiles, but Indonesia has them beaten on that one.
And don't forget the Indonesian food - YUMMY.

I love Indonesia.

CDRJohn wrote:

SKTT?  I just carry my C drivers license.

To get back on topic.
Immigration have been asking foreigners about their SKTT when it comes to immigration matters. It seems there is cooperation between the departments at the moment, so that new KITAS might well be held up if you don't have an SKTT.

It's simple, cheap and could save you a load of hassle if you get one, so I have to recommend doing so.
The local green ID card (SKTT) is only for KITAS holders; KITAP holders should have the an ID card (KTP OA)
That looks very much like the ID cards Indonesians carry.

These all come from the same place, starting with the local Pak RT, but many have no clue so you might well have to go to your local head office to get it sorted out.
One bit of advice - when you get the new card, give the Pak RT a photocopy.
It'll smooth things out if you ever need their help in the future.

Thanks Fred, that almost tells me what an SKTT is. I am currently out of the country visiting family for the summer.  KITAS renewal will be in Sept so I will return in Aug.  At that time I should go to the Chief of Village and ask about getting an SKTT?  What bureaucracy actually issues this SKTT?  Police? Chief of Village?  immigration? Regency? Is the SKTT the same as the domicilly?  So, to get completely back on topic, if I get raided in my home I should have this SKTT in addition to my KITAS and passport, or just need the SKTT to carry around in my wallet in case I get raided in Carrefore?

I have to go to that office on another matter next week, so I'll try to get hold of the forms and post them on the sticky at the top of the Indonesia page.
Immigration have been asking KITAS holders if they have this when they renew, so it's worth getting ASAP. I'm unsure if it's just the odd immigration officer, or if this is becoming standard for renewals.
I'll also try to get a list of the required documents you need to submit with your application, but I'm guessing it's be the same as the KTP OA.
The process should start with the village head, but you might very well have to go directly to the regency office as the local guys commonly don't know how to do it.
You will need a letter (surat domisili) from the village head as part of your application.
EDIT - I haven't needed one of these for a good while so I'm likely out of date at the moment. I'll try to correct that next week.

agree totally , respect the laws and the people, as in any other country, and make sure your papers are valid, you will not have a problem, the once who are scared to death, leave, because I think their papers are not okay then

no need for skkt, you don't need it anymore, its a thing of the past..

henkrubus wrote:

no need for skkt, you don't need it anymore, its a thing of the past..

You'd better tell Indonesia that - they still issue them, and immigration (at least some officers) are asking for them when you visit immigration.

PS - It's SKTT, not skkt

This does NOT apply to KITAP holders who do not need one, but they must get a KTP OA

you right Mas Fred, I forget to tell that this is for a KITAP is I have, and thanks for the correction :)

http://indonesiaexpat.biz/featured/the- … quisition/

Quite interesting to read because more insight about the happenings at Jl. Jaksa that time.

Also copies of personal docs are obviously not enough if Immigration say so.

Tom, best not go to Jaksa. It's a dump to start with. Immigration won't be visiting Gandaria anytime soon so I will drink there! But a great read.

Luke, just went to Jaksa once since living here so have also no intention spending time there.

But you are right, a great read especially the story of the British guy spending 3 days behind bars.....

Btw Gandaria is not bad at all, went there a few times lately

its indeed scary stuff, I understand its hard to stay polite if those immigration officers start asking for paperwork in a certain " way ", and you had a couple of drinks, its not like back home, the questions is now whould we carry all official document with us, a myself Kitap ? or should copies be enough ? bringing official documents every day, scary also if get stole or lost, then if bringing copies not enough, but in cases like this, I know, the best thing is to stay polite, and present the papers, if start screaming or being rude also it will be fatal, those guys don't know compromise, so then you F *** for a while. also Jl. Jaksa is not an upscale neighbourhood, its cozy, cheaper then most places, but lot of prostitutes ladyboys, so obvious a magnet for foreigners and cops.. mm

Reading the article one must say copy of personal doc is not enough.

Certainly it depends on the official who is checking on you as long you are polite and cooperative they may accept copies. But looks like they have all the power (and right ?) to take you along and for sure it will not be pleasant behind bars even just a day.

So far I never got checked and have only copy of my KITAP with me (besides my original SIM) but thinking to take along the original KTP from now on

well yes, I have original KTP and KITAP, and copy of passport with me always, and SIM,
if this even is not enough, with a big smile, they can put me in jail..

henkrubus wrote:

you right Mas Fred, I forget to tell that this is for a KITAP is I have, and thanks for the correction :)

KITAP holders don't have the SKTT (Green ID card), but they should have the KTP OA.
Local offices commonly don't know about this, but you should get one.
The advice thread at the top of the Indonesia page has details, including the forms you need to fill in and paperwork you must take with you.

I have this so don't worry my rt is my " friend " and all y need is a couple of bucks and a friendly smile, which is not that difficult, foreigners are most of time not aware that they are guest, and should behave like that, friendliness it whatever situation will give you a win of 50 percent to start with. well I am going soon for the 15 years extension of my kitap, so they can either bury me here, or deport me if I die, I don't give much of a S** about that, we living here very happy and planning to do so, having fun, love the people, and hate the traffic.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2HCrpR9Uu-pgvSzOQcTeamqoCC4NRBoQ_qI9CWiEUnL5rVu53aQ

Same here - I'll very likely get dumped in a hole in the ground in Indonesia - hopefully after I'm dead, but you can't have everything. :D

More seriously - The Indonesian authorities know what groups they're after, and target those groups.
The majority of us are going to have little problem, but it's very wise to stay on the right side of the law, even if it's something minor such as this.
They go for Jalan Jaksa because it's full of drunks, and they know that's where they're most likely to catch overstays.
They go for the factories because they know that's where loads of illegal are.
That guy at the airport I saw having trouble was very probably  working illegally, but they let him in anyway - I suspect his 'previous' employer had a visit a week or two later.

So many treat immigration as if they're stupid - they aren't, so don't.

The SKTT and KTP OA can be a pain to get, and they often require some effort, but it's worth it to save the hassle if you happen to be stopped, unlikely as that might be.