Healthcare in Gambia

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Gambia ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Gambia?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Day to day healthcare is mainly carried out by nurse practitioners located in your neighborhood, and they generally are moonlighting to supplement their income on their regular jobs.  Otherwise, there are a small number of clinics with qualified doctors; state-run clinics provide competent care, but are overwhelmed with patients.  The MRC is only really interested in studying epidemics, and the promised primary care in their facility is usually not dispensed, or dispensed after the patient waits all day (having arrived before 6am).
     I recommend coming with  international medical insurance, and seeking care at the Westfield Clinic in Westfield or at Afromed in Senegambia.  My husband and I have been operated on an in-patient and an out-patient basis at Afro-med, and the doctors are quite competent and the medical staff is caring. Nonetheless, they will evaluate if you need to be medically evacuated to Senegal or some other point abroad for the best care when the situation warrants it.
    ALl drugstore items are approximately double the price because they are imported--gauze, bandages, iodine, etc.  One definitely needs money and a well-built house to stay healthy.  I recommend treated mosquito nets, double-screened windows, and mosquito repellant to prevent malaria.

Day to day healthcare is mainly carried out by nurse practitioners located in your neighborhood, and they generally are moonlighting to supplement their income on their regular jobs.  Otherwise, there are a small number of clinics with qualified doctors; state-run clinics provide competent care, but are overwhelmed with patients.  The MRC is only really interested in studying epidemics, and the promised primary care in their facility is usually not dispensed, or dispensed after the patient waits all day (having arrived before 6am).
     I recommend coming with  international medical insurance, and seeking care at the Westfield Clinic in Westfield or at Afromed in Senegambia.  My husband and I have been operated on an in-patient and an out-patient basis at Afro-med, and the doctors are quite competent and the medical staff is caring. Nonetheless, they will evaluate if you need to be medically evacuated to Senegal or some other point abroad for the best care when the situation warrants it.
    All drugstore items are approximately double the price because they are imported--gauze, bandages, iodine, etc.  One definitely needs money and a well-built house to stay healthy.  I recommend treated mosquito nets, double-screened windows, and mosquito repellant to prevent malaria.

Very expensive private medical good caring staff but very poor equipment I went into afrimed with a chest infection and was overdosed with pure iron for five days causing permanent liver damage constant pain for the padt several weeks although all my medical notes were clearly presented about my pernicious anaemia and only being given b12 injection medical insurance averages 250 pounds a month so not cheap but the staff I must say are caring and do theur best with what they have

I have seen the comment from one member saying that Africmed had caused 'permanent liver damage'.

I have been admitted to Africmed over my 3 years in Gambia, and I can only say that their care is superb, as well as their new clinic at Brusibi (Turntable) having facilities similar to European clinics.

I can only recommend them 100%

Africmed/Afro-med is not  really AT the Turntable, but further up the road,  perhaps a 20 Dalasi taxi ride from the Turntable. They have a website as Africmed, which has a map and gives the exact location.