New to Bogata!! Where to live???

I'll be moving to Bogota in July due to my husbands job and would like to know where's a good place to live with 2 boys ages, 8 and 12? I hear North Bogotá is a good area, but where North?

Earzu wrote:

I'll be moving to Bogota in July due to my husbands job and would like to know where's a good place to live with 2 boys ages, 8 and 12? I hear North Bogotá is a good area, but where North?

Hi Earzu

Depends on your budget,  on where your hubby will work,  where your kids will go to school...
One basic rule, don't live too far away from work, because traffic is *terrible*.  It really ads to quality of life to live nearby.

On  this link (in Spanish), are listed the best neighborhoods of Bogota.

Thank you for the response! He will be working at the embassy and we're strongly considering Colombo American School for the kids.  Any suggestions?

There must be like 50 different embassies in Bogota  :)  But I guess you meant the US embassy.
The US Embassy is in a neighborhood named Teusaquillo. It is halfway between the airport and the city historical center. 

The Colombo American School, which is an excellent school, is located in the green outskirts of the city, up North till calle 214.
Meaning that the Embassy is 15 miles away from the Colombo American school.

The nice neighborhoods to live in are up to the North of the Embassy.
If you'd like a house, I'd suggest to check the areas of Pasadena, Puente Largo, Alhambra, La Floresta, San Nicolas, Pontevedra, Niza, Niza Norte... All these places are in the Suba district. These are nice neighborhoods with mainly houses, with easy access to the Embassy thanks to the Carrera 68 and the NQS. Its about 6 miles away from the Embassy.School is of easy access too thanks to the highway.
If you are more into living in appartments, you may check the areas named El Nogal, Antiguo Country, Chico, Chico Norte. Here again, easy access to the Embassy through the NQS, and school thanks to the highway. And most of all, at least to me, the nicest areas in town.

Just check these names on Google map (you can type for instance "pontevedra bogota colombia") and then use the Streeview feature to check what it looks like.

I'd also suggest to try and get in touch with families working at the embassy to check where they are living and get their suggestions.  I am sure that your husband wpuld be able to email some of his future colleagues and ask for some suggestions. They are the best persons who have a practical experience of commuting to the embassy on a daily basis.

This is GREAT information!!!  I really appreciate all the details.  With this information and the information my husband has received from his colleagues, I feel we can make an informed decision on where to live.  Thank you so much!😃