Ledigkeitsbescheinigung

Hello,

can anybody tell me if the "Ledigkeitsbescheinigung" (required for the wedding registration) is the same document as the "affidavit of celibacy" made at the Supreme Court?

Thanks

Wikipedia wrote:

Celibacy (from Latin, cælibatus") is voluntarily being unmarried, sexually abstinent, or both, usually for religious reasons.

What you need instead is a certificate that you are legally eligible to marry (i.e. are not currently married to anyone, anywhere).

In Australia this is called a "certificate of no impediment to marriage" and must be issued from your home country which states you have never been married before, or are not currently married to someone.

Hello,

thank you for your answers. The paper in question is now done and am posting here the steps to get it in case it may help others later ;) It is important to note that the following applies to mauritian citizen:

1. First step is to get an affidavit of celibacy from the Supreme Court of Mauritius. This is delivered by any notary in the presence of 2 witnesses and cost a few hundred euros, depending on the notary fees.
2. The affidavit needs to be apostilled. This is done at the Prime Minister's Office, in Mauritius.
3. The apostilled affidavit should then be given in person to the Mauritian Embassy, in Berlin (together with some others documents from you and your partner), in order to get the certificate of non impediment to marriage. This certificate is required for the wedding registration.

I guess that the procedures should be more or less the same for other countries where the certificate of non impediment to marriage cannot be issued.