Seeking advice: Ex-pat starting business in TZ.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]

[Moderated: off topic]

Hi,

Have you considered Kenya?
You can own 100% of the shares.
Let me know what sector you are keen on if you haven't already settled in Tz.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share emails/external groups/websites on the forum. We have a private message system :top:
gravitythread wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Tanzaia from 2006 to 2008. I loved the experience. Opened up my eyes more than anything else I've done in my life.
Now I'm sitting back in America dreaming of getting back to the ex-pat life.
I'd like to return to TZ and start a business along the lines of technology and importing.

Does anyone has any expereince or advice in this area?

Here are some of my biggest questions:
I know there are 30% corporate taxes in TZ, but as a US citizen do I still pay taxes to Uncle Sam?

Ownership.
Will I be allowed to own my own small business 100% or will some TZ partner need to hold 51%?

Has any one dealt with the Tanzania Investment Center?

Thank you so much,
GcR

Hi,
I would like to ask you about your experience :
* TIC can you find in Zanzibar too or just in Dar?
* to buy a house, for a next cafeteria business, what do we need for?
* do we need a residency before buying the house?
* do we have to register a company in Tanzania?
* do we need a partner or not?
Wishing u a good evening,
Simona

Hello Simona,

Saw your questions and thought to assist you.

TIC is the centre overseeing investment on Tanzania mainland while ZIPA overseas investment in Zanzibar.

As you are a foreign natinal you will need residency first to do anything. You can lease a house from a local person but you can not buy/own. For big investments you would want to go through the process at TIC!

If you want to start a catering business or any business you will need to register a company and thereafter liase with other authorities to get all permits.

Company are formed by two or more people so it will be necessary to have another person with you.

There is also a process of incorporating a foreign company meaning if a company was incorporated outside Tanzania it can be registered here as well.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks so much for your advices!
Simona

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. Any lawyer recomandation to assist the process ?

Have a good evening,
Simona

Hi Simona,
Lydia has put the process quite correctly.  Since the purpose of this forum is to provide assistance to one another, I can give you guidance before you embark on expensive lawyers fees.  Apart from the establishment of a company in Tanzania, there are also sector specific licenses for some ventures which are required as well some restrictions on majority ownership by foreigners.
Please advise the indicative capital injection you intend to start the venture with and the specific business which you wish to embark on and I can give you the relevant advice.
Regards,
Patrick

Thanks so much for sharing your knowlages!
If you know any lawyer ( around Paje area ) to take care for the papers, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Good day,
Simona

Hi dear
this is Vikram.  from India
I intend coming to Dare eslam in couple of weeks.

I wish to carry study and setting up business ( import and export) from Tanzania.

can you pls help me understanding on how to form a emport export company in Tanzania
how much does it cost and approx time required to get all these legal papers etc.

Pls do connect me privately  or share me your mobile / watsapp no ..
my mobile no- ***

looking forward to hear you soon

Best Regards
Vikram

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : For your own safety please avoid sharing your personal contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Vikram,

Sorry for the late reply... unfortunately your number has been hidden from me, so couldnt see it.. are you still interested to find out about starting a business in DSM?

Lydia

Hello everyone!

I am planning to move to Tanzania to start hotel business in Zanzibar. Now I am in the process of seeking land to buy. So I understand correctly that I can buy land only with local partner? And should share with him profit? And one of my friend offered his land , not buy or rent, just build my hotel on his land and share profits. Is this legal? And how can make process that my partner doesn't trick me? We'll be very appreciate for your advice 😃