Making the move - About Rincon - Your suggestions most welcome

My name is Ryan, and I currently live in Seattle. I have traveled quite a bit and am really wanting to make PR my future home. I have never made a move this big, and am a bit nervous. I was just looking for suggestions on how to get this process started. I have worked as an EMT and in an emergency room as a surgical tech for over 5 years now. I am just getting tired of working 60 plus hour weeks just to pay bills. I am looking for a less stressful job in a place that I can actually enjoy the weather. Rincon is the place I really want to be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Ryan,

I am, like you, making the move.  I went to Rincon last week.  I figured I would like it and I love it, so I'm bringing the kids back in June when school gets out!  I have a job from home, so I do not have to worry about getting a job when I get there.  Since you have an education and a skill, I would suggest (as would others on the forum, I'm sure) that you make sure you can get a job. The cost of living is relatively cheap, but getting a job is very hard from what I've seen!  I found a great 3 bedroom house (split into 2 apartments) for $600/month.  I'm sure if it is just you, you might find something smaller/cheaper??  My house is a 5 minute walk to the beach.  It is not fancy, but definitely affordable!  And, the neighborhood has free-roaming chickens.  Super bonus!! Oh yea, my yard has coconut, mango, and avocado too :)

Most of the people I met spoke English, but not all.  I am not sure how that pans out in the job world either.  If you don't speak Spanish, it may be more difficult to get a job in a hospital setting or anywhere. My Spanish isn't great, but I know enough to order food and converse a little, but it is a mental workout to try and converse with people at times. For me and my kids...that is a great learning experience.  I can't wait!!  Also - you could look at www.usajobs.gov

Another thing that I learned, since I work from home, I decided to sell my car instead of bringing it.  For me, the cost wasn't worth it.  I'm a cyclist, so that's my style anyway.  So you also have to consider shipping your vehicle.   

So, I would suggest a visit and research on jobs before making the move as the priority and if you are tied to your car, know that you will have shipping costs for that. 

Good luck!

Liz

Thanks for the info Liz. I am planning on not bringing a car with me. I want to just try to purchase a scooter when I get there. Also I am trying to get out of the hospital setting. I would like to just get any job that is less stressful. Ice cream shop, hotel, bar back type thing. I was in PR last year and fell in love. One of the reasons I am moving is that my current landlord is selling the house I have been living in for over ten years now.  So I am not sure if I can afford a trip there before the landlord kicks me out. This might be a sudden move, but I think it can be done. I am trying to save enough money so I can just put 6 months rent down on a place. I wouldn't be doing it alone. My long time roommate would be moving as well. She has been to Puerto Rico and knows that she loves it as well. I guess my biggest thing is just finding a decent place to live for the first 6months while I look for a job.

There's a woman who has a house for rent for a 6 month lease that is about $1000 a month (it's on craigslist).  Craigslist has quite a few options. That's where my house was found, which is incidentally still there (so ignore it ;)), but there are 2 bedroom apartments by the beach for about $600/month.  I was initially skeptical of craigslist, but everyone I talked to and met were happy to show me their houses and all were very nice!

I have looked on Craigslist as well, that seems like a great option. Most people were able to save a good amount of money before they moved, I don't know if that will be an option for us. Have you heard of or know anyone that has done it on a shoestring budget? I just can't seem to get ahead here. I know I will never be a rich man, but I would rather struggle on a tropical island than here in the rainy weather

I'm definitely operating on a shoestring budget.  The main way I'm doing it is no furniture.  We can buy what we need when we are there.  And do that in increments.  My house downpayment was $1800.  The flight there is just under $1200.  We will set up water and electricity and cable (under $500 to do those).

Good to hear. That is about what I was thinking of spending on housing. We are not going to ship any furniture there either. We are actually starting to sell all of our stuff at a garage sale next weekend. It will still be a couple of months at the soonest, but I am trying to get as much info as I can right now so we can be informed before the move. Maybe having someone there like you would help us. I know I have talked about moving somewhere tropical and I think this time I jus t have to do it. I can keep coming up with reasons for staying in Seattle for a long time. I don't want to do that anymore. I love the excitement I feel just talking about it.

My gut reactions: First, DO IT!   Get ready as much as possible, but then take that final leap.
Now that I have that out of the way, here are some other thoughts.  Some towns have  a cluster of medical services, which might mean a bigger job market for you.  For example, there are several hospitals and many doctors offices in Humacao where I live. So, I suggest that once you are here, explore the other parts of the island to find the right fit for you.
When I read you planned on getting a scooter, it raised a red flag in my head.  Driving in Puerto Rico is crazy.  Once you get here you might reconsider that decision.
Best wishes and keep us all informed on your progress.

Welcome PR Bound! How exciting for you.  We are in love with the Rincon area too and want to do long term renting.

Etilley23, congratulations on finding your apartment, it sounds like a lovely deal!

A few things. First, if you haven't already, do a search using "Rincon". Lots of info will pop up. Second there is no reason to spend $1,000 for rent. places are available in the $500 range. Third, I've perused Craigslist and although there are listings there I was not impressed. Fourth, as a starter, see Ruben at his hardware store at 22 Commercial in town and ask about rentals (you can mention my name, Vic); he has about 30 apartments in the $300 to $500 range; I rent one for $300 (including utilities) and it's fine. If you have any questions please message me via exp-pat. Also go to the Surfing Potato for lunch (it's a cart), it's in fron of the post office. Teri and Nathan have a wealth of info about Rincon and are very helpful (mention my name, Vic).

How is the Internet in rincon? We have plans to move next year and must have good internet

I hear you about the internet. My experience is good. I live a short distance from the town square, up on PR 412 (I can walk to town). I use Choice Cable. Installation went smoothly and internet goes down sometime for a half day every few months. It also goes down if the electricity goes out which happens every few months. Now I live in barrio Puerblo. The reliability of internet varies by provider and location. For example electricity goes out much more frequently in Puntas. So, before you choose a place best to check with people in the neighborhood concerning experiences with internet.

Hey Victor,
I am still saving money to make the move. I am waiting for my landlord to sell the house I am in now, then we will be on our way. Thank you for the recommendation on the many rental properties. I will definitely get in touch with that man. I thought 1000 a month seemed a little steep, but wasn't sure. I think you are the person I tried to message on FB as well about glass studios in PR. I am really excited to make the life change. I know the weather there would suit me much better than the constant Seattle rain. I am going to be here at least 6 more months, so I would love to stay in touch. Thank yo u so much for your reply.