I need travel help

Hello, I need to go to Indonesia for a year to immerse my self. But first I want to take a short term trip so I can better ready myself. It would be nice to have some one there who I could contact and get advice and help from. I was looking at staying in hostels over there. If anyone could help or give advice I would greatly appreciate it. Any tips, help, or even someone to do a little traveling with. I was hopping to go for about 3 weeks this coming July (2015).
Thank you.

I would strongly suggest you travel alone, and avoid many of the (international) tourist traps.
If you're alone, you end up meeting and talking to more people, so you'll learn a lot more than if you're with someone.
Some tourist places are worth a visa.
The temples at Borobudur are amazing, but Jalan Jaksa is a dump to be avoided (unless you want
to hang with drunken tourists and spend time with gold diggers and prostitutes).
Dieng is another tourist place worth a visit, but then divert to Purwokerto and the towns in between.
Fancy a beach? Go to Carita (Pro. Chareeta).
You will also be able to go to Baduy villages - a world of its own.

Far too many places to mention, and that's only within Java.

Thank you Fred! I would like to go alone. My biggest concern is just not having I well planned out and getting there and not knowing what to do exactly.

Thats the joy of travelling. Just make sure you have the first nights accommodation booked and go from there. Exploring Indonesia in itself will be an amazing experience. If you want to do it even cheaper then join couch surfing and go and stay with the locals all over the country. Enjoy

Thanks!! I love the advice about couch surfing! I will check that out.

There's a post about backpacking on the advice thread at the top of the page.
If you have any questions, post them here so that thread stays tidy.

Oh ok, thank you! I appreciate your time and consideration.

Hi

Nice to know you plan to visit my country.

There are many nice places to visit in Indonesia as my country has 6 big islands, which is Jawa, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, Sumatra, Papua and Bali.  I believe you know or heard Bali island already.

In each island there are many places to go that you will love it.  Not only the culture, view, tradition but also their unique dishes.

You might try Jawa island first where you can go to Jogyakarta, Bandung or Surabaya.  Jakarta itself the capital city is in Jawa island.

If then you plan to visit Jakarta first then please welcomed to contact me.  I am happy to assist you or give you any advise as you needed.

Wish to hear you n welcomed to contact my direct email or if you have whatsapp.

Cheers
Desy

Moderated by Gavind
Reason : Personal Contact

Wow thank you, you will definitely hear from me as a further plan my trip. Thank you for such a kind offer and willingness to assist me. I am looking forward to visiting what a hear is an amazing place.

Hi. nice to hear you want to visit Indonesia. Bali is nice place to enjoy and immerse yourself :)

Hai welcome to Indonesia and plan your journey ready as you can, make your schedule by how long will you stay. Try to find contact with someone who can you trust first to find out how does looks like Indonesian people would be good if you ask expat who already live there. You can brows on youtube about Indonesian by Sacha youtube.com/user/sasaseno here you can prepare your self as foreigner to visit my country.

your first place after you arrive is Soekarno Hatta Airport, located  at Tanggerang Banten. If you want to spend few days in Capital of city you can use Damri bus busbandara.com/jadwal-bus-damri-dari-dan-ke-bandara-soekarno-hatta-jakarta/ ( local bus transfer to some places, and of course cheaper than Taxi ) aprox if use taxi cost around USD 20/25 and these are transportation can bring you to spots which you decide to stay or to your hotel or hostel.

In my opinion you better to have host or stay around Bunderan Hotel Indonesia or Grand Indonesia,located at Central Jakarta. This are close to good spots, and  It's up to where will you want to stay. Hotel,hostel,apartment or just common flats,for common flat you can just ask people around Grand Indonesia or Plaza Indonesia that are a lot of expat who live there.  And for accomodation for another options you can search at airbnb.co.id/s/Jakarta-Pusat--Daerah-Khusus-Ibukota-Jakarta?checkin=20-05-2015&checkout=27-05-2015&source=bb&ss_id=6k800wmz if you cn't find at couch surfing website, From here you can go to Monumen Nasional ( MONAS ).

But if you decide to go to another city or island from aiir port well just buy air ticket and continue your trip to your destination places. Also you can go with tran or bus from Jakarta for alternative transportation.

Cheers