Renewal / Replacement of UK Driving Liicence with Cypriot one

THE OPENING HOURS FOR THE ROAD TRANSPORT DEPT in PAPHOS
== 8am to 3pm, call them to check 26821336
Literally just got back from the Dept and all done and dusted in under one hour left with a cypriot driving licence

Note... the time limit for use of a UK driving licence is until it expires -  but be aware the on the plastic card the date the photocard expires is different and shorter than the one on the paper section... usually 10 - 15 years life depending on country of issue.

for example the wifes plastic card expiry was 10th May 2015 but paper section  was 2028???? and the paper bit will no longer be valid after 1st june 2015....

If renewing / replacing here - just remember to take everything with you and copies plus €40 too makes it so much easier and quicker... this is the list i used - - - - - - -taken from an email i received for the dept.

I would like to inform you that according to the Cyprus legislation you are allowed to drive in Cyprus with your U.K driving licence until it expires. After the 6 months permanent stay in Cyprus you are allowed to exchange your driving licence with a Cyprus one.

(In order to exchange your driving licence you must be a permanent resident (185 days) of the Republic of Cyprus.)

Converting foreign driving license in Cyprus:

• An application for driving license (TOM 7B).

• Two recent photographs sized 40X35 mm

• Identity Card (Certificate of Alien Registration (for foreigners) (original and one photocopy).

• Passport (original and a photocopy of the first page with the details of the applicants).

• Foreign driving license (original and a photocopy of all pages). (The foreign driving license will be sent to the Competent Authority of the State of issue).

• Translation of foreign driving license unless it is in English or Greek language. The translation must be made by the Public Information Office or the Embassy of the country that issued the foreign driving license (original and a photocopy).

• The application along with all relevant documents should be presented in person to the District Offices exam guide for relevant inspection and approval of the conversion.

The cost is 40 Euro. It will be done on the same day

note - once the official has checked the paperwork over he will hand it back and you simply go to the reception area with €40 and pay then she will print and issue the licence.

TIP - - -
Dont go to the main desk where the queue is - if standing in the queue LOOKING AT THE GLASS OF RECEPTION  go down the corridor to the right of the reception office - 2nd door down on the left

NB Mind you its not a plastic card we got its pre-printed pink card with the photo stapled to it.. and stamped..lol . also be wary of typo errors on the new licence - luckily we checked ours for errors and sure enough they got the name wrong but hey ho they sorted it out... and Trassos was superb and very helpful.

no medical required as long as you ask only for classes b and b1.... if you need to drive vans trailers and minibuses  then be aware they will ask you for a medical certificate

Good advice Toon.  My wife and I did ours last year.  A very easy process and a simple eye test as well.  As you say, all done within in our, but avoid Monday mornings as the Dept is very busy on a Monday morning.

cheers toon, i got my cypriot licence before my uk licence expired, i understood that if a person spends more than 6 months in an e.u. country that a driving licence from that country had to be obtained by e.u. law.  i don't see why, i would have much preferred  to keep my uk licence. when i renewed my licence here there were no plastic licences available and had to get the paper one, cyprus was not prepared for the demand.

Not true - you are ALLOWED to change it for the cypriot one if you choose to do so - after 185 days of residing here. Your existing licence can still be used legally as long as it is valid by the photocard date

NB Oh yeah nearly forgot - the sight test - you get asked to read a number plate in the car park from the office - and this was so funny he asked my missus to read the plate and because she read it accurately and quickly (clearly thought it was our own car) he then asked her to read another plate... now.... that was our car!!! lol PMSL .. then a finger flex check...... job done

By the way for information purposes my local med centre quoted me a charge of €35 for a driving licence medical with the GP. So pleased we didnt need it.

I also exchanged my UK driving licence for a Cypriot one when my photo card expired.   

If you exchange the licence because you have reached 70 the first time you go to the MOT offices in Mesogi Ave on your birthday and then when you need to renew it 3 years later you go to the Citizens Service Bureau. 

If you try to exchange the licence before your 70th birthday you will be given a Cypriot licence that has to be changed when you are 70. However, if you try to exchange the UK licence after your 70th birthday your photo will have expired and the MOT will have to get in contact with DVLA which may cause delays.  A relative went though this procedure last November and was told it would be best if he came on his actual birthday or the day before if it was at the weekend.

Good to know Talagirl  - handy tip