Moving to Grande Prairie Alberta

Hi everybody,i'm moving to Grande prairie in a couple of week on work permit.I'm a heavy duty tech.I want to know how's life in grande prairie........I mean the people,the cost of living ,rent,facilities ect

thks

Cost of Living info for Grand Prairie numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Grande+Prairie

Can't answer you on how's life there as I've never been there. But I am pretty sure its cold and rather isolated. Closest big city to it is Edmonton - 4.5 to 5 hrs drive. Next is Calgary, about 7.5 hrs drive.

Good luck!

Hi,

Please advise if you relocated to Grand Prairie. If so, how is it down there? Is it a decent place to live and are there things to do, is it safe and so forth?

Hi

Gp is good.people shows respect.cost of living is a bit high.I mean if you come in alberta,you have to work,because there are lots of people on waiting list here.THE WINTER IS BONES SHATTERING COLD

Thanks for your prompt reply. I heard how expensive it is but I guess it is expected.  We are looking to relocate shortly but could only find limited information on line. I read that housing is quite hard to come by. How did you find the housing market? Also my husband got work in GP...how difficult is it for me to find work. Is employment that scarce. Thanks

@rhiggins, try to contact folks at The Grande Prairie Centre for Newcomers. Their website is http://www.gpcn.ca/
In it you'll find their contact details. Just talk to them and see what kind of help they can offer given your situation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...i will check the website

I have friends that live there and have been there myself.

Lots of opportunity! Depending on what you do/where you want to work of course, but I know that jobs are fairly easy to get if you're not too picky.
You will need a car for sure (as is the case almost anywhere in Canada). Gas is cheap though, so that's nice.
Housing is expensive if you rent! I think it is more economical to buy a house there than it is to rent, so if you can buy I would recommend doing that. If not... well, definitely look at some surrounding areas such as Clairmont: a lot cheaper and not too far of a commute.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your input...I was getting a little concerned here. I would certainly like to keep busy whilst in GP. Glad you mentioned a district to stay...are there other areas to recommend as I am looking for a nice family friendly area that is not to expensive. We will have rent so not sure what will be a fair budget.

If you know further on the cost of food and if the schools are good that would be great or any other info you think I need to know.

Thanks again