Import duty on 20 ft container of household goods and tools?

hi could anyone give me a rough idea of how much import duty they have paid on containers. i would have a 20ft container holding household goods and tools, nothing that is new.

thanks in advance

terriegym wrote:

hi could anyone give me a rough idea of how much import duty they have paid on containers. i would have a 20ft container holding household goods and tools, nothing that is new.

What permanent residence visa do you have (or intend to obtain) to live in Panama?  Pensionado? Self Economic Solvency (so-called Investor visa)? 

The Pensionado visa permits a one time duty tax exemption for household goods up to a total of $10,000 and a duty exemption for importing a new car every two years.  It basically requires proof of a lifetime pension (typically Social Security) of not less than $1,000 a month plus $250 a month for each dependent.

The Self Economic Solvency visa generally requires investment of $300,000 in a bank CD or equivalent purchase of real estate or both.

When talking about $10,000 in household goods into Panama duty free, what does that constitute?  Jewelry, silver plate, musical instruments, etc.?

SmartOldLady wrote:

When talking about $10,000 in household goods into Panama duty free, what does that constitute?  Jewelry, silver plate, musical instruments, etc.?

I have nothing to cite as a reference and you can bet folks have seen crazy range of interpretation from their experiences.  To me, jewelry and musical instruments are not "household goods."

Thank you

This is what our shipper sent us.

"It is permitted the importation of USED household goods and personal effects free of duties and taxes to:"

1.  Returning Panamanians

2. Foreign citizens with working visa

3.  Foreign citizens with retiree or pensionado visa

4.  Foreign citizens with diplomatic visa

5.  Panama citizens with diplomatic visa

6.  Foreign citizens with investor visa

7.  Foreign citizens with reforestation visa

8.  Foreign citizens with self-solvency visa

For detailed breakdown of the requirements for each, go to www.ptypackers.com  Click Regulations & download related documents.

The actual cost of import duties/customs seems to be a national secret.  We have decided not to ship our household goods.  The estimated cost to ship 1100 pounds is $2850 from Orlando FL to Panama City, which is a warehouse-to-door delivery.  Storage. fumigation, and any other charges will be determined AFTER arrival.  For us, it is not worth the money unless we are sure we plan to stay here forever.  The Do-it-Center has everything we need.  We are leaving our personal effects packed in a crate, stored up high in a warehouse for $28 per month.  If we want anything out of the crate, the charge is $28 to access the crate.

If you fly to Panama City from the U.S., you can bring up to $2000 in personal items without duty.  Be sure not to pack valuables in checked luggage.

That would do me in.  I am way over that in jewelry alone. And it sounds like the Panamanian Government gets to decide the value of whatever I bring.
Thank you for your input.
Ruth

Thank you for your response, sorry for my absense after posting the question. I would only be in Panama part time to begin with as my childrens father will remain in the UK, i want to purchase some land and build a house. I have decided that it is probably not a good option to ship the container.

Is it an option to bring handtools, in your luggage or would that cause a problem at customs? I really am in the very early stages of planning.

Kind regards
Terrie

Household goods is anything used you have in your home.  Includes jewelry and musical instruments.  Key word is used.  If you have things packed in original boxes, multiple, same items, that one would not normally have in their home, they may want you to pay duty on those.  There are restricted items.  Too many to list but you can ask your shipper to list them for you.

Bringing things in your luggage is another matter.  I brought in a large amount of used jewelry my mother had given me.  No real problem.  They asked me why so much jewelry, I told them it was from my mother and they just said OK.  The $2000. applies to new things.

this www.ptypackers.com pdf file is at least 8 years old
things have changed
a trip to colon might help to get some basic information
it's rather strange that no one in the panamanian cargo business speaks english
english is the standard airline shipping and even trade language

How do they know if furniture you are shipping is new?

Because they have been doing this for years and know the difference between used and new.