Teaching for more than 6 months of the year

It's come to my attention that I can only stay in Colombia for six months of the year on a tourist visa. I'm guessing some schools will help with a work visa. The problem with that is, since most of the schools do not hire in advance, I have no way of knowing if I'll be hired by a school that does help with a work visa.

I didn't pay for my TEFL class and study for eleven weeks for a six month "experience" where I'm living hand-to-mouth and can't even afford a flight home after the fact. If I happened to be offered a job with a school that helps me with a work visa, that is still more money out of my pocket... when I'm only breaking even... after subsidizing my hours with private tutoring.

I hear they desperately need teachers, but then there are all of these roadblocks and expenses. I really don't understand how South America attracts teachers at all. Am I missing something?

My question is, what do other teachers in Colombia generally do? Do they simply invest in a TEFL course, a flight and lodging and get a job, only to find that it really doesn't pay the bills so they do private tutoring... only to find that, their school won't help them with a work visa, so they must return... only to find that the whole "breaking even" thing left them with no money for a flight? Perhaps they get lucky and their school does help with a work visa, does that money come from that private tutoring I was doing so I actually could break even?

I paid my money. I've saved some money. I sold some items. I studied. I did as much research as I had time to do. I finished my practicum early.  I'm going to take the Young Learners and Business English course. I purchased a domain name so I can teach online.  I've done everything I know to do and I'm left with incessant roadblocks.

I expect challenges. I've been to nineteen countries. I've lived in three countries and I've lived in New York City for six years. I can deal with red tape for "the experience."  I don't expect everything to be a cake walk, but I'm no masochist either. This process, only to break even, is very disheartening. I get the feeling South America resents English teachers.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest that you get yourself a return flight and have enough cash to sustain yourself for a couple of months in Colombia. Then just head down there during the main hiring season and see what you can arrange. And also have a Plan B back home if it doesn't work out. It is a gamble to be sure and if you can't afford the gamble then obviously this won't work.

It is my opinion, based on other's experiences, that feet on the ground, face to face meetings are better than long distance negotiations and agreements that are often reneged on by some shady operators. Good luck to you.

Makes sense. Thanks for the sage advice.

Kermit,

I have lived in Colombia for over 6 years and I heard that Colombia needs English teachers before I moved here also..
What people don't tell you is that Institutes pay very little as a rule..  There are those exceptions out there I will admit,  but the teachers they have aren't about to leave so they can make less money somewhere else.  Private schools will hire you BUT they will pay very little.   The schools that will get you a work visa are going to require a degree in English or another related subject usually OR  if you have a State teaching Certificate from the U.S. that will get you in for an interview at a GOOD school.  The GOOD schools here usually hire well in advance.    Universities require a Degree everywhere I have asked.  I have a degree in English, also TESOL / TESL and no one here has been impressed that I have the TESOL..  Private classes can be a pain at times, as students miss classes from time to time and most don't understand the concept of paying when they miss a class..  It doesn't matter that you sat and waited for them for 2 hours. 
What I suggest to you if you have a Degree is to go to a few job fairs in the States..  I know of many schools here that only hire teachers directly from the States that they meet at the fairs.  Then they get you the work visa, plane ticket, a place to live,  and so forth.. 
BEWARE of some of these companies springing up that are looking for native English speakers to be advisers to place in schools.  There are more than a few horror stories going around about them..

This is what I have found in the last 6 years..  I'm sure others have had good and bad experiences also.

Good luck

Get a job with a Catholic school, ask them if they will give you a contract and see what happens.
Where are you living? Medellin pays good for English classes private and at schools.
Give it a try. You can't expect to get rich over there but I think that you be able to do better than surviving.

Markcol, Thank you so much for the wealth of valuable information. I did lots of digging out TEFL schools and countries, but couldn't uncover everything. I wish I'd known some of this in advance.

Fortunately, Berlitz has taken a liking to me and I'm interviewing with them now. They'll hire me in advance and pay for relocation. My contract will be from 6 months to a year, then I'll have to leave Colombia for 6 months.

Since Berlitz is a chain school with schools in other countries, I could transfer to one of their school in neighboring Ecuador for six months, living in one country half the year and another during the second half. I kind of like that idea.

I might not work out so perfectly, I understand, but I did the work and I'm ready to get out there. In my experience, more opportunities come my way when I'm "doing it," then when I'm asking about or preparing for it.

Thanks for leveling with me. If I'd known some of this earlier I'd would've been spared some frustration.

/KtF

Are you looking for jobs at language institutes or at colegios? The colegios will generally sponsor visas for foreigners. Do you have teaching experience?

Kerm
What kind of contract will you have with Berlitz in Colombia? Work contract or service contract?
If they sign you up with a service contract, you can still get a work visa (named TP-4) with your service contract.
But beware, as service contractor, you will have to pay yourself all healthcare, pension... This is to take into account when you will negociate your salary.

If you can read Spanish, check this interesting link that compares how much someone with a Service Contract needs to get paid to get on par with a "regular" work contract.

Mike, I do not have a college degree. The Colegios seem to prefer degrees. So, I'm left with language institutes. This probably means I'll get paid less & have to work more. I wish my TEFL school had told me that part.

I misunderstood Colombia's visa requirements. I thought it was like Brazil's, where you can only stay in the country 6 months of every year on a tourist visa. As it turns out, I can extend my tourist visa for 180 days. After that, I only need leave the country and return every 90s days. This is doable.

I guess it can't hurt to apply to colegios, though.

Steve - Berlitz has a work contract on offer with full benefits. However, they seem to be looking for substitute teachers. I would be sent to different schools and businesses daily. Berlitz will offer the next day's schedule by 6pm. The following day, I will have to be there by 6am, teach two 1.5 hour classes... then go to another place & teach 6pm to 9pm, then catch the metro/bus home from a new place every night. In bed by 11p up by 4:30a.

I'll never learn how to track students. I'll never be able to get accustomed to anything.They seem to be looking for a scrub to run about town at the last minute & fill-in for sick teachers.

I may not have a degree or experience, but I'm hardly going to be treated that way. So, I'm buying my ticket for late June / early July & hitting the streets.

Thanks for the link.

As a tourist, you can stay up to 90 days, and then request for a (payable) extension of other 90 days.
You cannot stay in the country more than 180 consecutive days AND not more than 180 days within the same calendar year.
For instance: You enter Colombia, say, Jan 1st 2016 with a tourist visa. You can stay until end of March 2016. Before the period ends, you can request an extension that will give you the possibility to stay until end of june 2016. After June 30th, you will have to leave Colombian territory, and you will not be able to come back to Colombia as a tourist before 2017.

As for the contract, you are right. These kind of assignments are a complete nightmare because you're spending your time in crossing the city from E to N and from N to S. Meanwhile your commuting from site to site, you're losing time not being with students (and getting paid for that).  It is truly exhaustive. Still, the vast majority of language schools won't afford any better deal. Teaching in a proper classroom is for their permanent teachers only.

So, I just spent $1,100 on a TEFL course for nothing. I was told a degree wasn't required. What I wasn't told is that I wouldn't be able to make a living wage, or work for more than half a year. I suppose I could just teach in two countries, going back and forth every six months.

Unfortunately, I'd probably have to work like a dog, in random places, always on the metro, with no benefits... and still not break even until I also get private tutoring jobs on top of those hours.

I, literally, just threw $1,100 down the drain.

Well, Steve Russo - I've been chatting with a guy who works for Barton Shaw. He's not running about town. He works in only two places and makes ends meet. He has no degree. He knows of others in the same boat. So, working for a private language school doesn't necessarily mean what Russo claims. You can teach in a "proper classroom." You needn't run N, S, E & W. Besides, Medellin has a very efficient public transportation system. You don't even live in Colombia. You're no more of an expert than I am.

Some folks are here to help. Others to impose their limited knowledge on folks. Still others may be jealous of or intimidated and wish to knock others down a notch. They won't relent until they've succeeded. Then they'll move on w/o a word of encouragement.

Thank God I finally came to my senses. If I listened to folks' advice (or warnings, as it were) prior to living in Amsterdam or NYC or Copenhagen, I never would've gone. Bottom line is, folks can't tell you what life will be like for you; they only know what life is like for them. ...or what they've read online if they don't even live there themselves. Those who don't actually live in Colombia are ill-equipped to dole out advice on lifestyle, or crossing town from N, S, E & W.

We can't possibly dot every "I" and cross every "T" before making a move. The best plans never take into account how individuals respond to an individual... chance... luck... right place, right time... the unplanned, etc. Do your research, prepare yourself, make a decision and go.

So, to anyone reading this thread, don't be dissuaded by Russo. He doesn't live in Colombia and is wrong about his "warnings." I have a list of reputable schools, provided by ITA, that are all quite close. I'm in contact with a guy who is working for one of those private schools, in a proper classroom, without a degree & he knows of others because he works with them.  I found a very reasonable place on CompartoApto. Medellin is cheap. Medellin has very efficient public transportation (for running N,S,E & W. I kind of fancy the idea of living in two countries every year.

So, I'm going to high-tail it down there in early July and do my thing. Here's the kicker... I might even beat  Russo down there.

Kerm,
I feel sorry you didn't find value in my messages.
You are absolutely correct. I am currently not living in Colombia.
Even though I have to say that your message sounds, to the least, unfair, if not insulting, I will nonetheless provide some insight so that you can understand better where my answer is coming from.

I worked for about a year in Bogota, for my current employer, in their local branch. During this stay, I of course socialized and found really good friends and even love.
I then had to get back to my home country. That's when I started to made several travels back to Colombia.
I once thought about leaving everything behind and head up to Bogota on a tourist visa, and trying to find a job, any job meanwhile looking for a proper one. This is how I got to think about language teaching. Even though the vast majority of the offers are for native English speakers, there is also some demand for native French speakers (that I am).
I basically went through what you are experiencing right now. I did study the langage teaching case. And from the discussions I could have (just like what you're doing right now, right?), the huge majority of postings are for "flying teachers".  Now, if you get to have a job with Barton Shaw school with decent working conditions, I'll be the first to congratule you for this great great find. You could then consider you as a very lucky guy.

I can see from your messages that you can get somehow emotional (first saying you threw up a thousand dollars down the drain, and now backfiring at me for no reason). Cool down, just remember that this is a discussion board, that everybody is entitled to give his opinion. And you are free of course to follow or not any opinion given.
Remember that people are just here to help, with no other reward than getting a thank you from time to time (it happens!).

Please calm down guys.

@KermitTheFrog > this is a mutual help forum. Everyone can share their experiences and give advices. If you do not agree, you can just share your information and advices without any conflict.  ;)

Hi Any news? We're now late July. You set foot in Colombia? Having a good job?
Would be happy to hear about your experience.

I am enjoying living outside of Cali now so I began researching about what qualifications I need to teach English in Colombia. I have a Bachelors degree in Economics but no formal teaching experience. Does anyone know about the TEFL certificates? Is it worth paying for and completing the course to get a teaching position? How would I find teaching positions available in Cali or Medellin or another city in Colombia? Is there much demand for English teachers in Colombia? I realize that I will not make a big salary from teaching. I can live with that.

All facts and opinions will be appreciated.

Also, it is the end of July. Kermit, are you in Colombia and did you get a job?

can anyone tell me about colegio douglas brown and its environment?

Nancy3030,   Go to  Computrabajo.com  to find the latest teaching jobs available.  Just select Colombia  and then the area you are interested in.   There are new listings almost everyday.

I recommend you deal directly with the schools.
BEWARE of using so called agencies if possible.  There are more than a few companies looking for Native English advisors and some of  these are nothing but scams.
Dealing directly with the schools  gives you a chance to check them out yourself online or in person if you are already here.  Try to get a contract before traveling to Colombia if possible for peace of mind.   
Another option is emailing your resume to the Secretary of Education offices in each department. These are for the public school system which give 12 month contracts as opposed to the regular 10 month contracts.
  I have been teaching in Colombia for 7 years and I love what I do. 
Message me if you want more info.  There are things I can't tell you on the post such as the names of a few of the scam companies and the problems that can arise.

My personal experience is now just over 2 years teaching to private students only in Barranquilla. I came here on a tourist visa, it is expired, and nobody cares, so far anyway, that is a moot point to all the people I have met (including some police officers such as the one living in the apartment above me). The only 'real' problem is I can't sign any contract, so my internet service is 'borrowed' from my neighbors wifi. I have talked to admins in a couple schools but they couldn't hire me because of the expired visa  If it weren't expired I could be working for a private school, and I have the minimum 40hour TEFL certificate. I did work 'under the table' for a business as the company English teacher for 1 year, and there is another business that I sent a proposal to for the same type of work, and they like the proposal, but said they are not in a position right now to pay somebody cash. I spoke to a guy at CENA and he would have hired me except for my visa issue. So far, in my experiences here in B'quilla, a degree is not necessary, just a basic TEFL certificate, and the one that appears to be known the best is the i-to-i (onlinetefl) certificate.

Right now I have 15 students. And yes, I am busing all over the city 6 days a week. And yes, people here do not accept the 'you pay for my time, not the lesson' mentality we are used to from the USA (or other developed countries). I do get one or two cancellations every week, but with 15 students that really doesn't have much effect on my income. I admit, it's not easy having so many students, but any less and I wouldn't be able to make a living doing this.

I love what I am doing, my students are wonderful and so grateful to have me teaching them. The rewarding experience is well worth the long days.

Some day I will hook up with a company or school that will sponsor me for a visa, or I will marry a Colombiana, until then, I am illegal and that's ok. Since I've been here over 2 years I think I can apply for an extranjero cedula, but I haven't gotten any details about that, yet. I just haven't had the time to find an english speaking notaria (my spanish is still too basic to hold such a conversation in spanish).

I say just come on down here and do what you can and enjoy yourself. If you looking to get rich teaching english, that won't happen in any Latin American country. The Asian countries pay much higher, but also have much higher requirements.

Take a look at the SENA programme. It's a liveable wage, government "run", in Colombia.

If not, email every school in Costa Rica or Chile.