Where to rent in Roatan

I am planning to visit Roatan to see if it would be a fit  for me to retire to' After a first visit I would plan a 3-6 month trial rental and would love some advice as to the best places. I would like it fairly quiet but easy to bus or taxi to market,etc as I plan to at least start out car free. Maybe slightly uphill? Please give me suggestions. Thank you.

We are at a place in  life where we can change things to please ourselves.  Roatan sounds like it might check most of my wish list
We are looking for a lifestyle where we can relax, cook, garden, write, and still be able to get out among people. What we are looking for is an area convenient to the basics, like a farmer's market and basic drygoods, maybe a health clinic but not in the middle of the tourist area. Any Roatan xpats have any suggestions?

It sounds like a good place for you to live might be between Sandy Bay and Coxen Hole. That would give you easy access by bus or taxi to do your shopping in Coxen Hole and there are quiet, low-key places for rent. Casablanca Apts. just West of Palmetto Bay Rd., for example.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do some online investigating.

From what I have read online, Coxen hole is very dangerous at night.  Not sure during the day but the bad people may live in the area.  And with virtually no police force watch yourself.

Re: Coxen Hole. It is pretty safe during the day but your safety may be questionable at night. And anyway, mostly all you are going to do there is go shopping at Eldon's Supermarket or at Plaza Mar - and both of those places are definitely safe. I have gone walking around in Coxen Hole many times without incident. It is a wildly colorful place and I enjoy going there.

Hi Betina,

Your criteria included preferring to not have a car. West Bay is your choice. You can walk to the beach, restaurants, bars, shops. It is the safest place on the island and has the largest expat community. That translates into potentially more friends. You can get taxis out of here but what most people do is ask a friend who has a car to pick up a few things for them in Coxen Hole or mention you need to go shopping soon and go with them. There a number of rental choices that would provide nice surroundings, peace and quiet. If there are any vacancies when you want to come, Mission Gate is a perfect choice. Go to VRBO and check out listing # 620887. I can help you faster if you are interested.

Best of Life!

Edward

Hi!

Any luck so far? Contact me if you need a hand.

Hi Ed,
Going slowly as I am not yet sure when we are going to be able to get down there for the first exploration. When I know would you be able to help me find short term rentals (say 2 weeks here, 2 weeks there) so we could try out a couple of different areas? We would need 2 bedrooms, but obviously would not be bringing dogs with us then. At this point I am guessing probably mid August for arrival, though that is definitely not firm

Hi Betina,

Renting or buying on Roatan is much easier than almost any place in the world. The reason is about lifestyle. The reason anyone comes here is for lifestyle and Roatan has distinct "lifestyle zones". Add in size of home and budget and whether you need waterfront or not and the options narrow down a lot to places that you would be happy in. 

So are you more 'people people' and enjoy making friends, going out once in a while for drinks or dinner, happy hour at the beach and access to amenities OR are you more of a hermit type and prefer your own company, rarely go out and are self sufficient?

What is the budget? You have answered the other questions previously.

Best of Life!

Edward

Ed,

Can you give me an idea on rental costs there in West Bay? We would like to live on social security income if possible and not dip into our savings. Would it be possible to live on $2500 per month?

We want to downsize and want a very simple lifestyle. Even a ballpark of cost would help.

Thanks!
Debi

Hi,

It would be tight but possible. Most places run around $800-$1,000/mo. but if you look hard you can find some for $500-650/mo.