Thinking of moving to Gib on my own , any advice?

Hi ,
I have been offered a job in Gib , and I would be relocating from the uk on my own , I am 27 years old and just wondered if anyone else has made the move on their own? and if so how was it?

any advice or experiences would be very helpful

thanks

It's all good Chris. I moved here single 4 years ago and have settled well - and now married. It really depends what you are in to. There is lots to see and do in south of Spain and the weather is great. I play Gaelic football and that's a great way to meet people, we have lots of complete novices joining all the time. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi shambo,

Thanks for your reply, it was good to hear you settled in well.

How did you find meeting friends?
How dod you find the nighlife ?

Im a bit scared of been on my own a lot and not meetig friends to go out with , especially on my own . Is there many people in my situation over there?

Many thanks
Chris

Hi Chris

I'm moving to Gib from Fife at the end of June.  I've been a member of Round Table in UK for 6 years and have found this to be a really good way of meeting new people and getting to know new places as I move around the UK.  I have already made contact with Gibraltar Round Table, which has around 20 members.

If you don't know, Round Table is an association of men between 18 and 45.  We meet usually twice per month for socials and to discuss organising community events.  They've got a good website.  If you're interested then either contact them directly, or let me know and we could go to a meeting together.

Cheers
Tom

Hi There. I just saw your post and wondered if you went through with moving to the rock.

I lived there, well not quite. I worked there and lived in lalinea for 2 years.

If you have moved there and are by now beginning to question your own sanity. Don't. It's not you. It's them. That's all I can say to you. Really, as an educated, developed person with any interest in culture, history or art, you may well find yourself in the minority. So don't worry.

If , on the other hand, you are a poker loving boy racer who likes to date underage school girls and eat stale crisps or visit Morrison's and BHS  for a hobby on your day off, you will be in your element by now. Or you could go to that one star hotel or Club , just across the border when the chaps from my office frequented to meet 'ladies'.

Whatever happens , you will have an incredible experience. My advice is to see the whole thing as a giant experiment on human beings. Because you will see and meet all sorts of them. And just when you want to avoid them, you will see them again and again and once more for good luck. There is no escape. Forget about work life balance. It all blends into one long dreary hazy fog of gossip and narrow mindedness.

So mind the cockroaches. Keep your wits about you. Don't tell people anything about yourself that you don't want blasted all over the place. Understand that this place is a microcosm of strangeness. There are alot of very unworldly people about. Don't stay there too long. And find a pal to giggle with at the hilarity of this wildly weird and backward little military base.

Oh and remember that you are Geographically located just off the coast of Africa. Learn about Spanish wines. The best ones are from the north. Mensia, albarino, txcholi and rioja are the best. Drink them in Spain. Get out hiking all year round in Spain, if you can. Round up your work crew and make them come with you. Start a fitness boot camp on the beach in the evenings.

Go to Spanish lessons in Spain. Do online courses in the winter time to quantify all the amazing learning you will get.

Write a book about the characters you meet. You will enjoy reading it when you leave.

I hope this helped. It's what I wished I did when I was there.

Darren. I'm sorry that your experience here wasn't the best. Personally, I've enjoyed the culture of Southern Spain and Gibraltar. The people I have met here and with whom I regularly visit new towns or go for Tapas across the border in La Linea have been friendly and quite normal professionals. I suppose it depends on the places you choose to visit and the people with whom you enjoy your spare time.