Reliable, friendly landlord & real estate agency in El-Rehab?

Hi everyone,

I've lived in Cairo three times before (for nine months segments each time) with intermittent stays in the US, Canada and Lebanon. I will return to Cairo for my forth and last time late August this year.

When I first lived in Maadi for nine months my landlord was a very friendly and reliable guy whom I still cherish as a friend today. Nonetheless, I moved to Rehab for my return and the experience was horrible. Suffice it to say, I lost my deposit (had paid extra for internet) stayed without internet for seven out of nine months and came close to physical altercations with my landlady. Consequently I looked for somebody else the next time. Again I don't need to go into details, but in spite of meticulous provisions in the rental contract all the bad things you are always warned of happened. Ultimately, I couldn't really fight it because as a non-Egyptian student having to leave on a fixed date and preoccupied and more focused on more pressing things I really have and had no leverage.

Anyway, as I said I have to return for another nine months and am looking to reduce the stress to the minimum I had in Maadi (minus the bus rides). I need a very minimalist place (however my choice of internet connection, which I will pay for separately. Should be located close/between Mall1 and the food court. Price can be discussed

Does anybody know any people that are just forthcoming and  upright about real estate in Rehab? I really can't afford to spent another year fixing things, worrying about the place (that type of stress is so distracting) and ultimately losing the deposit nonetheless.

Cheers!

hey man i tottaly understand what u have been through one of my friends here passed through the same things exactly sometimes people are too greedy and it sucks how bad they can act regarding the real-state agencies i will ask around and tell u what i reach to but hopefully this time will be a lot more relaxing :)

Hey, yeah I would be so grateful if you could survey the situation, even if it's just asking like one or two people in Rehab. I suppose you're an AUCian?

I absolutely hope that that won't be a burden next time around. In spite of all its problems and difficulties I have come to adore Egypt, but I'm apprehensive about when I return since BBC and alJazeera keep reporting an unstable and unpredictable situation. Anyhow, I'm already glad I found this forum just for the Rehabt thread. I know all the localities and contacts on the therein provided list, but it's helpful to have them combined in one place.

I had a freelance realtor recommended by a friend who got me my apartment in Rehab back in May ... He was nice, polite and helpful (and remained the same after the agreement was signed and paid for :D), the landlord was also good ..... I got back my deposit minus 700 EGP (350 for my share of the maintenance paid to the city hall, 350 for the unpaid electricity, gas, and water bills) .... Overall the experience was good. I can give you his number if you want.

and forget about BBC and Al Jazeera .... It's business-as-usual here everywhere and especially in Al Rehab ....

and yes some landlords in Al Rehab are greedy and think that expats are cash cows who get their money easily through illegal means so they are trying to lend a helping hand to rid them of this dirty money (joking :D) .....

I suppose you are looking for a furnished apartment (since you are staying for 9 months only) ..... I think we can find you something in the neighborhood of 600-800 USD/month.

As for Internet, forget about asking the landlord to subscribe for you .... Just make sure there is a land line installed and you can have your internet (with the price and package you choose) installed in a week or two max ..... If you are lucky - like I was - and the phone line is already/or was previously hooked up to an ISP's switch (aka DSLAM) even if subscription is discontinued/cancelled, you can get your dose of cyber nicotine in less than a day ! ..... Please refer to my sticky "Telecommunications Overview in Egypt" topic for more information

Yeah, would be great if you could forward me the number (and/or e-mail address, am currently in a distanced time zone...).
Would be for two people and 600-800 USD sounds fine monthly, depending on the location.

SadandLonely wrote:

Yeah, would be great if you could forward me the number (and/or e-mail address, am currently in a distanced time zone...).
Would be for two people and 600-800 USD sounds fine monthly, depending on the location.

No email. I will fwd his telephone.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi everyone. I am also looking for 2 bedroom apartment in Al Maadi area for at least 2 years. any advice on cost or contact details of honest and reliable agen or landlord would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Nassman

Hi sadandlonely,

Did you find an apartment with a good landlord? I have a friend of mine who is looking to rent in al rehab as well. Because she is single and from the West she is apprehensive and is aware that both will be a problem when she is out there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi the Egytian,
Just wanted to find out if you still have contact details for the landlord. A friend of mine is looking to move to Rehab but doesnt have a clue where to start. Plus she keeps hearing different stories about how foreigners get ripped off.
Thanks in advance

Hi the Egytian,
Just wanted to find out if you still have contact details for the landlord. A friend of mine is looking to move to Rehab but doesnt have a clue where to start. Plus she keeps hearing different stories about how foreigners get ripped off.
Thanks in advance

Reliable AND friendly AND a landlord? Be reasonable man :D

Hi MagnumJoe,
Just wondered if you know any landlords out there especially in Al Rehab?  Appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Thanks

Missmash,

Th problem with the general egyptian conduct is that you may find a worker, landlord or whatever, willing to rip off some people but not others.

I don't know anyone in rehab but i will ask for you.

Thanks MagnumJoe any help will be highly appreciated.
I have heard from a few foreigners that they are easy targets and seems like nothing can be done about it.
Such a shame because Egypt is such a beautiful country.

No one in my contacts know a specific landlord.

But have you tried sites? Like aqarmap.com and 19rehab.com?

Also there is a very very VERY useful group on facebook called cairo scholars, where expats and foreigners share info about cairo, real estate mainly.

I suggest you go on this group ASAP.

Thanks MagnumJoe for your time and effort I truly appreciate it. I will go on the sites you've mentioned and will keep you updated.