Planning to marry a swedish guy in sweden

Hi, good day! i am always on your page and was trying to read topics and i am hoping you can help me. i am a filipina with a swedish boyfriend. we havent met but we are in a relationship for more than a year. he wants me to visit sweden through visiting visa because he cant visit me because he has work and i can stay longer, for 3 months unlike him who can just stay for 21 days here. we are planning to get married in sweden as soon as i come and everything is ready, i mean the documents need. i want to ask, after the wedding, can i file a residence visa after we register our marriage so i can stay longer than 3 months or should i return here to file it and wait? i am asking this not to overrule because i know what are the consequences, like if i overstay, i'll be banned in entering europe for 5 years.because ive read some on other website that i can process it there without coming back. i just want some advise on how we should do it. thanks alot! more power.

migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals.htmlst you check some threads on thelocal.se lots of people with immigration experience including lawyers and whatnot.

if i am not mistaken once you get to sweden you can apply for an extension on your stay, i think for up to a year. as far as i know it is a problem for immigration if you haven't met your partner in person before, its like a big no no for them.

why dont you call immigration migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals.html   their number is there, they speak fluent english and im sure they can answer your questions, plus you dont have to give them your name or your sambo's :D

Hi!
Get your BF to check at Destination Philippines forum most of the conversations are in swedish, so it's better to get him to get contact. I am sure your question will be answered. Good luck!☺ :)

Oh.. yes we havent met, but we are planning to meet, either i come or he will go here.. but one thing for sure is we are going to get married. i just want to know if i can file a residence permit after we register our marriage, without going back here.. im not after with citizenship, i just want to stay with him longer.. what should i do? because we are processing the papers already.. is it best for him to come over and we get married here, file it and wait til it is approved?? thanks alot

A year ago, my husband, then boyfriend, and I applied for a residence permit after having been together for two weeks in China. In hindsight, it wasn't the brightest idea we've had, and I suppose we should've expected the outcome; I was denied the permit, based on the grounds that it wasn't serious enough. A few months later, he came to China, we married, and now we're living together in Guangdong, once again waiting for a decision from the Migration Board. The waiting times at the Migration Board has since the first time we applied increased three-fold; the expected waiting time is now 12 months.

So, be aware that the waiting times for the residence permit are really long right now, and if I remember correctly, you cannot apply from inside Sweden, else we would've surely done that.

The advice I'd like to give is this: apply for a visiting visa, marry each other in Sweden, extend the visa for as long as you can, then go back to the Philippines and apply for the residence permit. Since you by the time you apply for the residence permit, you are already married, you should have no problems with the Migration Board, except the waiting times.

Also, you should know that the Swedish law that regulates residence permits (Utlänningslagen), is different for couples that plan marry or cohabit, and already married or cohabiting couples. Utlänningslagen 5 kap 3 § states: a residence permit shall, if nothing else follows from 17§, be given to, 1. a foreigner who is a spouse, or a cohabitee, to a resident of Sweden; while Utlänningslagen 5 kap 3a§ states: a residence permit may, if nothing else follows from 17§, be given to, 1. a foreigner who plan to marry or cohabit with a Swedish resident, if the relationship is deemed serious enough, and no reasons exist against giving a permit. 17§ contains exceptions like; if you intend to marry but don't intend to live together, if your boyfriend is already married to someone else, etc. See: lagen.nu/2005:716. I was denied because they handled me under 5 kap 3a§, and because my case worker apparently deemed our relationship as not serious enough. Furthermore, it is way easier to prove marriage than cohabitation. Cohabitation is very vaguely defined in Swedish law.

If you want more info, do as tym05 said, call or mail the Migration Board: http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Contact-us.html

Be aware that they're really slow at answering mails though, so calling them would be preferable.

You can talk to me on Skype if you want.

Hi annie! Nice to meet you here! I was trying to send a msg in your inbox, for some reason it cannot be sent. Can you msg me in my inbox where else can i contact you! ❤️

I know married people who have still had to wait for their residence permit in Sweden just like everyone else.

If the relationship is serious, aka marriage or common-law partnership, migrationsverket will give you a 2-year residency permit. If you are still together after those two years, you re-apply and they will then give you a Permanent Residency permit. This still does not yet mean you are a Swedish citizen. It took my married friend 3 years to get Swedish citizenship while being married to a Swede the whole time. They had met several times, were in a long term, long distance relationship, and got married in another country before she moved here.

They specifically recommend waiting in your home country while they make their decision. The decision can take more than 3 months (I think they quoted me 3-7 months) so staying here is not recommended.

Hi. I just wanna ask you how many months did you wait before you apply a residence permit again?

neslund921 wrote:

Oh.. yes we havent met, but we are planning to meet,

Are you serious? Is he serious or perhaps deficient in some way? You are telling this board that you have never met yet that you are going to marry. I have never heard of such a ridiculous thing.

Be warned that the authorities in Sweden (and in the rest of Europe) are onto this sort of marriage and are extremely loathe, rightly, to grant residence for it.

hey, me and my sambo, applied for resident permit, and was denied as thy said it was not serious, then immediately we appealed and got married, was denied again because they said we got married immediately because the permit was denied. now i want to apply again, using the marriage certificate and all other documents, it is a good thing or i have to wait first

Hej,najdiaz how is it going?

Hey everyone!
does anybody here knows how many months is it to wait for a residence permit to marry someone in sweden? I am here in philippines. Tack!

It takes 14 months of waiting Belle garci

Wow! It will that long? 😕😮
so i need to be very patient about it. Huhu

Yes you need lots of patients you and your partner.when did you apply?

I just applied last june 9, 2015..my friend applied before and she got a reply a month after she sent an application. I never thought it would take so much waiting time.. thanks for the reply..

Your most welcome,some people get lucky just like your friend.it's long waiting but don't worry someday it will be your turn.

If you're married and have proof of being together and you're serious with your relationship you can receive a response from the after a week or 2 and they will ask you to go to Makati for an interview and wait for the result I got mine after a week and went to Thailand for Biometrics and received my Card after 2 weeks.... it was pretty quick if you can prove that everything between you and your husband is real... goodluck....

hello it worth to be wait.

I don't think you can enter Sweden if you have sent in any paperwork until you receive word from them. We had just the opposite problem in1999. My husband and I married in Sweden, then I had to fly home to USA, and he had to wait for green card - only 21 days, but still, we had no idea that would happen as all sources told us to marry and he would have no problem coming home with me. I would check with the embassies before doing any travel planning.

Now we are on our way back to Sweden. I applied for residency in May, and have been told that unless he has employment there we will likely be waiting until next June for permission to travel (immigrate). 

Good luck to you and your man.

Qiuxiang Jiang wrote:

A year ago, my husband, then boyfriend, and I applied for a residence permit after having been together for two weeks in China. In hindsight, it wasn't the brightest idea we've had, and I suppose we should've expected the outcome; I was denied the permit, based on the grounds that it wasn't serious enough. A few months later, he came to China, we married, and now we're living together in Guangdong, once again waiting for a decision from the Migration Board. The waiting times at the Migration Board has since the first time we applied increased three-fold; the expected waiting time is now 12 months.

So, be aware that the waiting times for the residence permit are really long right now, and if I remember correctly, you cannot apply from inside Sweden, else we would've surely done that.

The advice I'd like to give is this: apply for a visiting visa, marry each other in Sweden, extend the visa for as long as you can, then go back to the Philippines and apply for the residence permit. Since you by the time you apply for the residence permit, you are already married, you should have no problems with the Migration Board, except the waiting times.

Also, you should know that the Swedish law that regulates residence permits (Utlänningslagen), is different for couples that plan marry or cohabit, and already married or cohabiting couples. Utlänningslagen 5 kap 3 § states: a residence permit shall, if nothing else follows from 17§, be given to, 1. a foreigner who is a spouse, or a cohabitee, to a resident of Sweden; while Utlänningslagen 5 kap 3a§ states: a residence permit may, if nothing else follows from 17§, be given to, 1. a foreigner who plan to marry or cohabit with a Swedish resident, if the relationship is deemed serious enough, and no reasons exist against giving a permit. 17§ contains exceptions like; if you intend to marry but don't intend to live together, if your boyfriend is already married to someone else, etc. See: lagen.nu/2005:716. I was denied because they handled me under 5 kap 3a§, and because my case worker apparently deemed our relationship as not serious enough. Furthermore, it is way easier to prove marriage than cohabitation. Cohabitation is very vaguely defined in Swedish law.

If you want more info, do as tym05 said, call or mail the Migration Board: http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Contact-us.html

Be aware that they're really slow at answering mails though, so calling them would be preferable.

You can talk to me on Skype if you want.

Call the Swedish Embassy in the Philippines.  Make an appointment to meet with the consulate. Your Swedish Guy can make that call and set the day for meeting, if need be. Things go much smoother if you use the Consulate services. They know what documents you need, etc.

Hi there. It took me 14 months of waiting before I got my UT approved.  We applied for it Sept.  22,2014.  Interviewed me in Manila January 30,2015.  Then me and my fiancé visited Bangkok June 19-28,2015 to get my biometrics done even without us knowing if we will get it approved or not and ofc our first out of the country trip together. It was indeed a long waiting time and you need a lot of patience.  I was even worried that I won't get it approved but thanks to him for always being the positive one and always cheering me up.  He even called SMA alot of times for follow ups and always get the same answer from them. We got email from them second week of October 2015 and they were asking for more details and proofs of our relationship so what my partner did was to send them pics of us together, plane tickets/itinerary, our passport stamps from immigration of Bangkok and even the hotel receipt where we stayed there. A week after when we checked migrationsverket.se and saw that our application got a decision already so he called SMA and found out that it got approved October 27,2015. I got my UT ID November 24,2015 and I'm leaving January 25,2016.

Have patience.  Everything is worth the wait. Butterflies in my tummy when they finally handed me my UT ID card.  😊

Anyone here who lives in Luleå?  I would love to meet you all next year. 😘

Hi, Congrats..Luleå is up north, but if you have time send me a sms we can hang out in stockholm, because, I wil be  working on Viking Line in cold kitchen...and I want to meet some friends when Im free...God bless

Congrats girl! Enjoy ir new journey. Next it will be me and my fiancee :) God bless everyone!

Woohhh... that's a pretty long process... but at least it's all worth it.... I applied mine April of 2015  after days of processed  I was interviewed in Makati and had a schedule for biometrics in Bangkok.. in just 1 whole month everything was done 1 month and 2 weeks I got my Residence Card so that was around May and flew here in Stockholm June.... I guess the difference is were married back in Ph and was a couple for 5 years before marriage  (3 years engaged)... sabi nga nila kelngan lang ma prove that you are really a couple and how much you love each other... even name nflg alagang pusa tinatanong sa makati hehe... anyways goodluck girls.... hope to have some friends nearby.. -- Spånga, Stockholm :-)

Hehehe its true even the name of the dead dog that the in laws have you must know it...fav. color..outfit etc. etc etc..

Indeed... and tinanong sakin yumln since 5 years ang relationship nmin.. hehe..

Hi. Good day. I just want to share my experience with you. I applied for a tourist visa to visit my partner in Sweden. And I'm glad to say that I got it in just two days. It's easy for me because I made sure that I can provide all the documents they needed from me. And especially, you needed to prove that your relationship is real and your boyfriend can cover your stay in Sweden. In my case, we have been in relationship for almost 2 years that time and he already visited me. That's why I got the visa so easily. When I got there, time goes fast so quickly that we thought 3 months are not enough for us. So we applied for an extension for me to stay longer in Sweden. Unfortunately, they denied my application plus they banned me for applying for any visa in Europe. But we didn't accept that and we filed a reconsideration on their decision. We told them that we have no idea that I have the possibility to be banned in applying for any visa for 2 years. Luckily, they changed their mind they took away the ban but still they didn't grant me a permission to stay longer. So they adviced me to go back in the pHilippines and applied for a residence visa. And my application is now on the process.

I think that you have the chance to get a tourist visa to Sweden as long as you can proved that your relationship with your boyfriend is real and that you can provide all the documents they need from you and from your boyfriend. I'm not sure if you can get married in Sweden while you're on a tourist visa since I'm not a lawyer (haha). But one thing I know, even if you get married you still need to go back to your country and process the residence permit to live in Sweden. And I would advice not to apply for an extension since its only small chance to get that. Just to avoid any problems. If you still have many questions, feel free to contact me.

Hej hej i want to share my exprience too.Min man and i we been together for 2 yrs.He propose to me when he came to visit me then after some months.I seek for visiting visa for 3months it flied so quick which was unbelieveable so we seek for extension they grant me another 3 more month.we decide to get married in sweden and everything went well for us i thank God.I believe you can get married in sweden too.

But you need to go back to your country and apply for residence permit. Right?

Yes you do,i went back to my country of origin to apply for resident am in the process 9 months waiting.

Hey, I read your story. So sorry about what happened.
Did you apply again? What's going on now?

"Planning to marry Swedish guy in sweden".

Base in migration rules and policy you need to go back in you home land so that you can file your residence visa. Marriage is not answer so that you can stay more in Sweden when you have you tourist visa.

Thanks

Hello everyone here ! IM new here in Sweden I leave in götoborg theres any one here live in Gothenburg ? Will ..  same also me , me and min bf stay together with in two moths in the  Philippines then we travel together in Asia, after that he went back to Sweden and I apply residence permit card i aplied   april 21 2014 processing time with  mine it reach up to 14 months.. I got my UT card may 6 2016.. Good luck for the one waiting you have to be patience

Woohhhh... that took you ages... but I heared others had that processing time as well.. It took me a month only.. had my Residence Card in my hand in total of 7 weeks since the day my husband applied it online.. but maybe because we are married that's the difference. I live in Stockholm BTW. Välkommen och Lycka till.

Hi there

I totally agree about the "seriousness" of the whole "I haven't met you but let's get married" situation. It is ridiculous.

What's the proof of love in this whole equation? Isn't this visa or residency meant for couples who have sacrificed many things to be with one another in terms of time, annual leave, money, feelings, distance, family and friends. This is not a game lady.

How ridiculous is it to marry someone you have not slept with, lived with, have a face to face conversation in real life with?!

This is the weirdest thing I've come across but being Asian I've heard about this sort of relationships being popular in Thailand and Philippines. I'm not here to belittle anyone but let's get real here.

How much do you know someone of you haven't met them, let alone marry them. Marriage is a serious thing and it seems like people are just making light of the whole institution.

let share my story i applied two times visit visa andwas denied .after one year dating my bf we decide to apply for resident permit till now we met 4times in asia and africa .i applied december 2015 for resident permit got a mail to set an interview at the ambassy in april 2016 got my interview plus biometrics this october 2016 ...now i am waiting ...not sure if i will get this .we are not married or engaged its in our furture plan get married .

please could u tell me how about the age factor?

I am not sure but I think if u are 18 is ok to marry

Did u go back to your country and apply for residence visa.?