Simplified naturalization procedure instead of simple ius sanguinis?

Hi,

I had a slightly complicated question and have received varying answers:

My grandfather was born in Kosice (Hungary at the time, now Slovakia) and was thus a Hungarian citizen (Hungarian name, language, passport etc). He left to come to Australia after WWII.

My mother was born in Australia and so was I. We are both Australian citizens only. In theory, ius sanginis should mean that my mother was automatically a Hungarian citizen, and so am I. However, I think that because my grandfather is born in what is now Slovakia, I must apply for the simplified naturalization procedure instead of simple ius sanguinis.

Is this correct?

(Note: this is a different scenario to those who have grandparents from areas which are still Hungary)

You are correct.  My grandparents were born in present day Slovakia but then it was Hungary.  You will have to speak Hungarian and do simplified nat.  If you want to take Slovak citz, if you were born between 1949-1969, welcome to paperwork hell.  Your mother automatically gets Slovak citz as they look at present day city of birth.  I'm trying for either and no luck yet.  All your birth certificates will have to come from Ministry in Bratislava.
I'm petitioning this archaic 1949-1969 law and hoping for change.

Thanks blonder. I was born in 1991.

Does this mean that my mother could 'automatically' obtain citizenship by birth, and thus I could too? (In the same way as the Hungarian ius sanginis route).

Why is it such paperwork hell for you?

I guess I have a choice between that or learning Hungarian...

Easy route for u and your mother re Slovak. No naturalization but by descent.
There is a stupid law that if you were born between 1949-1969, the long way of paperwork and language plus residency.  You are lucky.  Hungarian was hard for me to learn. I didn't get Hungarian nat citz because of my grandparents being born in present day Slovakia...I think.  No reason given when I was declined but reading this post makes me think because all docs were from Slovakia and not Hungary.

Great, thanks! I'll have a look and let you know how I go. I imagine it's more complicated for my mum then (born in 1960).

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Good luck with the paperwork!

Let me know how it works out for your mom.  Mine was born before 1949 and got Slovak citizenship by descent.

Hello herzy,

Please note that a new thread has been created on the Hungary forum to optimise your visibility :)

It will aslo ease your interactions with the other members on the forum!

Good luck :top:

Cheers

Mishna

Hello.  After 5 years giving up on Slovak Citizenship.  Since my grandparents were born in present day Slovakia but at that time Kingdom of Hungary, I will move to Budapest and study the language and apply for my 2nd time. 

For those lucky enough to pass and have taken Simp Nat Citz, what questions in Hungarian were YOU asked at the interview?