Foreigners in BUCARAMANGA with kids

Hi Everyone, we are planning on moving to Bucaramanga this summer. First here is the story. I am from Bucaramanga, but moved to the US and then to northern Europe more than 20 years ago. I got married to a woman from Scandinavia, have 2 preteen kids, moved to the USA where we live. Part of my family lives in Bmanga and we have visited many times and just love it. We have been everywhere and have had no problems. My job allows me to work remotely from anywhere so no problem there, plus by moving to Colombia we will be able to move up a few notches in the "stratos" then what my income allows me here, big reason why we want to move there.

My question is mostly for the safety part. Those of you that can easily be detected as not locals based on your physical appearance (specially those from Holland, Denmark, Sweden), how do you handle the day to day life? and what advise can you provide for us, my biggest concern is my kids, they are used to pulling their cell phones to play games at the park or any restaurant, walking the dog around the block, walking home from the school bus, etc.

Much appreciated, thanks!
MG

They will be welcome, but nothing is safe in life. Keep doing good and no harm will ever happen to your family

You may find these Spanish-language online Colombian newspapers about Bucaramanga to be useful, to keep track of what makes the news from day to day:

http://www.vanguardia.com/http://www.elpais.com.co/elpais/temas/bucaramangahttp://elfrente.com.co/ahora/

I have been living in Bucaramanga for 6 months. Came from the U.S., where I had lived in Chicago and New York, among other places. I can honestly say that I feel as safe here as I do in New York. A few things you can't do here that you can do in the states--like walk down the street yakking on your cell phone, or whipping out your wallet wherever. Other than that, this city is safer than I could have imagined. Like any city, use your head, and no harm will come to you or your family.

Hi everyone, My name is Andres I'm an 18 year old university student living with my family here in Bucaramanga . I was born here in Colombia but raised in the States (in Miami to be exact). It was kind of hard for me at first since I left Colmbia when I was 4 and well I know how it feels for a kid to have to experience such  drastic change in culture. I speak both English and Spanish fluidly. I just hope I can help if anyone needs anything.

Hi Andres,
  This reply comes rather late, but I would second what Mike said, below. Bucaramanga is among the safest cities in Colombia. I'm from Canada and am immediately recognizable as a foreigner but feel very safe here. Knock on wood, but in almost two years, I haven't had so much as a scary moment in Colombia - whereas I certainly did up north in Winnipeg. As Mike says, you do take precautions like keeping your phone in your pocket when you're out on the streets. I'd add calling ahead for a cab instead of just grabbing a random one, and staying away from the down town area after dark, but besides that it's pretty easy to keep to the good areas of the city and avoid exposing yourself to harm. The other thing to keep in mind is that Bucaramanga is one of the wealthiest cities in Colombia, and that even as a northerner, it's not like the old days where that immediately made you the best target in town. There are a huge number of extremely wealthy Colombians in this town who are much more appealing targets than you and your family, and even they don't seem particularly concerned, anymore.
  Basic precautions, same as everywhere else, and you should have no worries. By the by, it would be nice to meet you and your family when you come to Colombia. There are only a very few permanent ex-pats living in the city and most of us are acquainted with each other. Do say hi sometime when you arrive. :)

Cheers,
Emile Blanchette