New members of the Thailand forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Thailand forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Thailand if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Thailand forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2015 continues below!

I'm Rajvinder Kaur currently living in Bangkok (Thailand). I'm looking for any jobs such as Personal Assistant, Housekeeper, Nanny and Senior Caregive and also service crew. I believe that I am hardworking, strong, enjoy the challenges and also love to try new experiences. So then, I would like to finding friends in Thailand, who could help me and give me any information about the job there. I will be happy and appreciate for any help from you all guys :)

Hi,
I'm new in this forum and also in Chiang Mai. I have already a job here. So I'm looking for new friends and also looking for someone who can help me improving my thai.
I'm always free in the morning and on the weekends.
See you!

Hi all,

I am Arvind, living in bangkok. I work as software engineer. I can help in improving english, mathematics. I would like to exchange thai language with English & mathematics skills. I can also help in making smaller applications for Home-based business.

Hi all,

i am newbe in this blog, currently i am living in jakarta,
i love bangkok, looking opportunities in this city. i hope someday will be living at here.

Cheers,

Erwin Panjaitan

Am Clementina phiri from lusaka zambia!!!!!am a project planning and management officer,looking for a job in Thailand on anything relating to my field,am in my youth age and i enjoy exploring in my field ,,,,

Hello dear me too cant wait to live in Bangkok,looking for the field that will best suit me in project planning and management especially in non governmental organisations

Hi my name is Nick and I've just visited Thailand and am totally in love and would love a life change - please if anybody has any tips or can help get in touch

nickboy wrote:

Hi my name is Nick and I've just visited Thailand and am totally in love and would love a life change - please if anybody has any tips or can help get in touch

Welcome.... :) 

Please read through the posts in the forum categories section on the right hand side of this page for information.
Just remember to take off your rose tinted glasses and take a long hard look at what is required to settle in Thailand, especially monetary requirements along with visas,and general costs including medical cover, food, accommodation etc.
The reality of life in Thailand is a lot different from being a tourist here.

Hi New member ( White Dragon),

I could help to have you learn Thai... you can text me at Line Chat.
my ID: rcdi.vit

Have a good day!

Is it important to learn thai or would I get by with English ?

Hi again stumpy I met a few experts over there and I got bits and pieces of information but in general got the feeling it was the best thing they ever did

@nickboy

Yes it probably was the best thing but there are hoops to jump through to be able to live there and then there is paperwork to be done on a regular basis to be able to stay. All this information can be found online.
If you wish to retire there you have to have to show an account with a certain amount of money in it to help get the visa. 
Thai govt now closing in on people doing visa runs into Laos and elsewhere and who continue to stay in Thailand on a tourist visa.
Jobs for expats are very limited. Not easy to set up a business either.
Cost of living is rising.
You will need medical insurance cover.

I am not being negative but merely pointing out the realities of what is required to live in Thailand on a permanent basis. 
I am not saying " don't come " but do a lot of research beforehand. And always have a plan B in place if things to not turn out for the best.

Ok thanx for your email I have no plans as yet to move but I need all the info and help I can get so please feel free to contact me

Hello! My name is Flavie,
I've lived in France,  United States, Spain, Belgium, and Scotland. I am arriving in Chiang Mai in June(first week).
I am looking forward to discovering all the beauty of the people and culture.
I would love to make new acquaintances of course as soon as I arrive. I speak French, Spanish and English.
See my profile and drop me a note! :)
Cheers!
Flavie

Stumpy has Great advice, we have been here 16 months on retirement visa's, the hardest part for me is having to check in every 3 months to have them stamp my passport. They saw you can do it on-line, but I asked last month at my 90 day check in they said it wasn't working yet for my district. You would think they would be Happy to have a constant flow of money coming in every month, we spend 3-4 thousand dollars every month, with the condo paymt. being 1500.00 a month, 1 more year to pay it off. Thailand is more interested in the Russians & Chinese coming here, than the Expats that want to live her in Peace, I always told all my friends in the US that Thailand was not a 3rd world country, but I Lied. Good Luck to You, remember there are a lot of other countries that make it easier to be Expats, I have no choice my wife's family is here and that is why we struggle to stay, but always have a plan B, you never know.

Visa wise the easiest country is Cambodia. 

In Laos I only get a single entry 30 day visa, renewable twice in country then I have to cross into Thailand for a night then back in again. No residency, retirement visas.

Thailand has a lot of visa types but they all have paperwork,checklists and stamps etc which have to be done on a regular basis.

Hi - I've been living in Chiang Mai for 3 1/2 years. I've traveled all over Thailand and have considered living on one of the islands. But no place has what Chiang Mai has to offer. I love the cafes, the wifi, the massage and the fact that I can ride my bicycle everywhere. It's so much easier to meet people in CM.

I'm currently looking to move to the Neimenheimen area. I found a beautiful 4 bedroom garden home for rent. I'm a quiet peaceful zen natured novelist. I don't smoke, I drink a beer now and then, and don't chase Thai women. I'm looking for a quiet person who wants to live in a beautiful home with someone who is gone on trips 40% of the time and doesn't do drama. Let me know if you're interested. 091-307-7825,  David

-i would look at costa rica--it is as cheap as thailand and lovely ,and everyone speaks english--God Bless You

Wish I could, but have family here.

But I like speaking Thai.

hi all,
i been in thailand over a year and setting a wine business to beat expansive wine in thai and looking for good investors
our per bottle cost 20 thb (with profit) and trying to set in market @ 25thb(after pay to seller and transportation) any body interest please feel free for inquiry about this (wine available in  GREEN APPLE, GRAPES, STRAWBERRY, ORANGE)

Sawasdee ka everyone,

I'm Thai so it might feel weird being here in this forum. I am doing a research on cross-cultural management for my master degree in Political Science and I am looking for any Malaysians who are working here in Thailand so I can ask them some questions. Still trying to find the best way to get more contacts...I wish you guys having such a nice experience here in Thailand. Enjoy the sun and the rain in this season.

Good luck

Kwanny_tu
Basically, any expat living in LOS has to be a bit mad/weird.
Expats who are not weird will not come here in the1st place. If they choose to emigrate to LOS thy will be a bit weird. IF not they may well become totally insane.
Why not join the club.

Good luck in your pursuits - may goo things eventuate.

Hello guys,

My name is Andy. I'm Thai. I used to work in United State for 7 years then moved back to Thailand in 2013. I Earned 3 degrees in Management, Public Relations & Advertising, and Commercial Photography.

I enjoy riding bicycle and play sports. I also love travel and meeting people.

I'm offering many services in Thailand like Personal Assistant, Interpreter, Outsourcing, Paralegal, etc. If you guys need any help or advice, please feel free to ask.

The reason that I joined Expat.com is networking, make friends, and curious what you guys talking or thinking about my country. I just want you guys like my country like I do. :D

Thanks for reading,

Andy

I agree with you. Cost of living in Thailand is so high.

stumpy wrote:

@nickboy

Not easy to set up a business either.
Cost of living is rising.
You will need medical insurance cover.

I am not being negative but merely pointing out the realities of what is required to live in Thailand on a permanent basis. 
I am not saying " don't come " but do a lot of research beforehand. And always have a plan B in place if things to not turn out for the best.

Is there a place where xpats get together sometimes just to talk? I live in the BKK area.

Hit Andy
yes you can live in Thailand. yes you need to understand the price of things change just like in the states. But if you can learn to live as Thai, then it can be easy. I moved here last year, have a house(married).
Working here is almost a no no. so make sure you have money coming in the meet your demands, and future demands. Visa is the most important thing to look into.

Hi Nick
you can read my post and if you have any question I will try to answer them.

You could join Internations.com, it's a group of Expats from all over the world, but living in Bangkok. They get together for different functions, dinners, drinks, potluck partys, cruises, and so on. Check them out. Patrick

thank you. but how do I find them?

www.InterNations.com  49.00 dollars a year for membership. Which will give you discount on all the functions.

Hi Bodacious,

Yes,I just surprised, I understand things changed.

I am Thai and have a business here, so I don't have a problem to stay.

What I'm trying to say to all foreigner is .. life in Thailand is not easy like they are thinking. Think well before you guys moving here and expected to find a job.

Sure, If you are a retired foreigner, or business owner, I believed Thailand will be your paradise. But if you are trying to find a job in Thailand, I don't see much opportunity for them except Teaching jobs, IT gig, and a few occupations.

If you earned less than 30k in Thailand, you might be tuff.... just my opinion :D

I am lucky. right now I am on my third stage for the visa I want. it cost me $5,000 to get all my/wife's  things here from states to where we live now. Thung Khru area. its not like when I was first in Thailand in the 70's. and many visit from 2009-2010.

like you say.Do not think you can find work here. and the teaching jobs can be hard. because some schools don't get you a visa.

the main thing about moving here is you my live/eat like a Thai! and your right, you need $2100 a moth to live above standard.

Yes, you are so lucky. You are right, $5,000 not to bad for settle down to the new place. I'm not a Thung Khru expert, but surrounding that area has a public park, bicycle, tennis and badminton complex for public. Also Nakorn Thon and Bangpakok 9 international have a high medical standard in that area. You will be happy to leave there :D

May be EXPAT required minimum salary for 40k to get work permit and pass all government conditions, most school in Thailand can afford only 25k - 30k for Certified Native Speaker. That's why many schools can not get them a visa.

For your information. Have you ever heard about "Soka Gakkai International (SGI) www.sgi.org "  It is a world peace movement organization. It's free and has people around the world who speaking english come to join a self improvement meeting.

Hope you enjoyed your retirement in Thailand.

Andy

Hi I am ash from bangalore India .
Just want to explore thailand can any one help me on the same

Ash

Andy, maybe you can help my wife & I find a place to rent for a month at a time, we live in a condo in Nonthburi, but it can be very noisy here, we are looking for a quiet place to go that does not have tourists. But I need a pool & A/C would be nice. And if they allowed small dogs that would be a Plus. I am from the US, and my wife is Thai but she has lived in the US for 40 years, so she is a bit out of touch with Thailand. We would like to spend between 300-500 US Dollar, Thanks. Patrick

Hello everyone, My name is Umimz. I'm Thai. I live in Chiang Mai. I study at Faculty of Education, majoring English in Chiang Mai University. I would like to work as babysitter. I really love children and I will do everything honestly and fully for you. Moreover, if you want to improve your Thai skill, I can teach you.
You can contact me: [email protected]

Hi Patrick,

Which part of US you guys from? Just wondering :D

Well, could you please more specific.
- What kind of activities do you like?
- Are you driving?

Your informations can helped me narrow down a couple areas for you.

So far, just thinking about area that I am familiar :D

1st, I live in Pattanakarn Road. It's nice, clean and quiet. I may say B+ to A++ residents.  It's close to Suanluang Rama 9 Park, Paradise Park, Tesco Lotus Superstore, Villa, Max Value, Samitivej Hospital, and Airport Link. I'm very love this area. It's easy to go to Ekamai, Thonglor, Rama 9, and Asoke. It's possible to find $300-$500 / month apartment

2nd, choice that I'm think about is Samsen or Rama 6. This area is close to Aree, Grand Palace. You may enjoyed many thai culture around this area. I'm not sure about cost of living here though. Aree has Villa Market, horse riding activity, BTS Station.

3rd, Ekamai or Thonglor is a very good choice as well, but it might be pricey too. Many things to eat :D
Ekamai & Thonglor are close to BTS Station, Samitivej Hospital, Emporium, Major Cineplex, Pub & Restaurant, etc.

4th, Sukhapiban 3 (Ramkhamhaeng xxx) is a little far, but may be cheaper. I also love this area. It has a lot of food, clean, and quiet.

Those, just my idea :D ... Anyway, you are so lucky to have Thai wife, she is able to help you translate and give you many many ideas about Bangkok.

Good luck to you guys,

Andy

Dear everyone.. I m Nichney. I m from Singapore. I would love to stay and find a job in Phuket. Can anyone give me any advise or help me. It will be greatly appreciated.
Currently I m a real estate agent and would like to explore in Phuket. But I have not many friends who can assist me in this area.
Would love to get  more advises n help from here. Cheers guys...

Closed