Information on Expat Community & Life in Cartagena Sought

I am currently in Cartagena for another 2 days exploring the city & researching what it's like to live, work and/or retire here for the free access research/resource expat website I am creating for those looking to move abroad.

In the Dominican Republic, I experienced towns with expat concentrations and the community was visible, frequenting the same places.  I am not able to get that same vibe here.  I have spent most of my time around the Centro/old city/Getsemani though did take a trip to Boca Grande.

Can anyone let me know if there is a sizable community, where they are concentrated, what they do if they work and what are the costs of living in general. Any details on healthcare cost and quality, services, safety, housing...etc., is welcome.  I would like to see more while I am still here.  Thank you.

Hi, I lived in Cartagena for 2 years but left at the end of 2013. There are quite a few from the U.S. who work at the Centro Colombo Americano as English teachers on Calle de la Factoria (where I worked), although many are in their 20s so not necessarily there to retire.

If you can, head to Plaza de la Trinidad in Getsemaní tonight. There is usually a Zumba class there & lots of foreigners, both those who live there & tourists, as well as locals. More info here: http://ervelynebernard.zumba.com/horarios-de-clases

You may also find people on Tuesday night at Jet Lag Tuesdays; see the calendar at the bottom of this page http://www.cartagenaconnections.com/  There may be other events on that calendar where you'd find people (but again, not the type who are necessarily there to retire).

Hope this helps!

Barb

Thanks, Barb! I'm actually at the Plaza now and was here last night as well. There's so much happening in Getsemani and all of the old city areas!

Please let me know where in Cartagena that you lived, what the big adjustments were and anything else such as safety and healthcare costs and quality.

Thank you.

Randy