Job offer Cairo - Advice

Hi I'm a 36 yr old British Expat with a job offer to move to Cairo.
I've lived in the UAE for the last five years but am looking to move.

My concerns are meeting new people I enjoy my social life and would like advice on meeting people? How easy it to make new friends?

Where is best to live to meet people?

What is the accommodation like? How much should I be paying per month. I'm a single guy but I'd like a two bed for friends visiting.

Any help is appreciated thank you
Regards,
Rob

hello , how' are you doing ?
this hassan from cairo egypt , listen if you want to move to cairo , just come and you'll be in a hotel and we'll discuses everything where to stay and meeting people , there's a lot of things just come and we'll discuss a lot.
thanx.

If u need a housekeeper sir...[ Moderated by Priscilla : do not post your phone number here pls ]

I think Zamalek will be perfect for everything you just said. You can rent a studio apartment; they make good offers to foreigners.

Good luck!

hi , there,
how's it going ?
if you want a house cleaner just talk to your door man and he'll arrange something for you ,
thanx.

There is many places to stay but first of all ask about your new company location. For example.. zamalek, Maady, New Cairo....etc. about friends,i think you can easly make new friends because egyption peaple eager to make new friends, do not worry... have good luck at egypt

Hello Rob,
Tracy here, British also in Cairo.
I have been here on and off since 2009 in several areas of Egypt but in Cairo since 2011.
My experience here is very good and I tell it how it is!
In terms of places to live.....the best areas for ex pats are in Maadi and Zamalek....however, i do not live in these areas as its way to expensive for me. however maybe you have the funding.
You are looking at around minimum 4-5000 LE a month for rent in these areas, possibly more which is cheap compared to UK prices, but expensive for Egypt. If you share with another foreigner it will be cheaper.
It will also depend where your work is? Cairo is massive with the 2 main governorates of Giza and Cairo.
Public transport is not good....and very crowded...most foreigners take taxis which are a reasonable price on the Metres.
Also, if you want to invite friends to your flat, men is fine, but women....not much chance of that. Most building have security or 'Bowebs' who are caretakers of the building and live at the entrance or close by so see everyone coming and going. It's not usually acceptable to bring a woman to your home.
Meeting people isn't hard and there are several ex pat groups who meet regulary.
Me personally, I don't join them. I prefer to mix with locals and I often find that the ex pats in Maadi and Zamalek are rather snooty as they have money and feel they are better than everyone else!
But I can give you a link..........http://www.internations.org/cairo-expats?utm_source=google_adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=internations_cairo&utm_content=Brand_-_cairo&utm_campaign
A British guy called Chris is one of the organisers and lives in Zamalek. Their get together events are also expensive which is why I don't attend.
I hope this helps.
Feel free to contact me if you need any other advice.
Bye Rob

Hello Mrs. Tracygrant
how are you i want to explain some Misinformation if you please
Maadi is not expensive i have apartments her in maadi per L.E 3000 and in Zamalek - Maadi - Mohandessen - newcairo any expat take all freedom he can invite anybody to visit his home men or women
But in local areas can not because of customs and traditioth

thank you

I am sorry Wail....

But what would you know about what a foreigner can or cannot afford?
And also, it is not just in Local areas that they are strict about people of the opposite sex visiting apartments.

You are only looking at this from an Egyptian perspective.
Please be careful how you reply to me...I am not stupid and have a lot of experience here as a Foreigner.

Tracy

Hi Rob,

Please be careful with the Egyptian replies.
They are not looking at it from a Foreigners perspective and often are angling for something.
I am not saying they are all  bad as I love Egyptian people in general, but there are a few tricksters out there.

Tracy

just to make it short for you, no matter what the job offer is, but do not accept it.
i lived in abu-dhabi and dubai around 12 years and i had a terrible culture shock once i came.

+ don moe
Please reject this offer if you can. A lot of foreigners are shocked. Cairo is not Hurghada/SES, but noone is ready to see THAT huge gap, mostly in traditions...
If you do accept - please insist on settlement compensation, because appartment prices here are doubled if you are a foreigner. Plus car & driver compensation, or you waste huge chunk of your salary paying for the taxis (if you do not plan to stay home all the time). I bought a car 3 years ago, and for previous 7 years i paid another car))) to the taxi drivers
+ to Tracy
I have been living here for almost 10 years. Private life here draws HUGE interest, especially if it is private life of a foreigner. So from the start you point out to your appt owner that you DO have friends and they DO visit you. Full stop. Otherwise every time you have visitors - neighbours, owner, bawwab (doorman) will bother you with the one way or another (ring the doorbell, call landline phone, complains etc)
PS - sorry for mistakes, English is not my native language

hi mrs. tracygrant  how are you i just  explain some Misinformation and the tricksters  in all country not in Egypt only
but i am sure you don't know Maadi - Zamalek and new Cairo well so you must visit it before you tell any body Misinformation please .
Thank you

errr, excuse me??
I spend most of my weekends hangoing out in Zamalek so i know it very well and also spent time in Maadi.

You know nothing obviously about foreigners expenditure..and may I remind YOU of an Egyptian term..."Not all fingers are the same" !!
Don't be quick to judge me

sorry mrs. tracygrant i live in Maadi and all my friends is foreigners
but i am Egyptian and Jealous About Egypt
Not all fingers are the same that is Right
and you are welcome
thank you

Rob, before moving, you just need to know if what you know about Cairo is in fact real or not, and whether it's worth leaving you current state or not?

So... what the hell makes you think cairo is better lol?

wish you a good day Bob. Maadi is the best place in Cairo for expates where you can find lots of them. There is also the British Community Association club and the Ace club which members are only foreigners.

regards

Azza Patel

Hi !

I'm American born and raised but lived in Egypt for like 8 months and will be going back to learn the language.. ( I'm 1/2 American , 1/2 Egyptian )

I would say yes, especially if it's a good offer or salary near what you're getting in UAE. I've spent one week in UAE & lived in Egypt so I can tell you from what I see it may be better for you..

I have a few British friends and most that I know really enjoy Egypt & the culture also you are coming from UAE where it is more strict than Egypt .. Egypt is a very open minded country compared to the rest of the Middle East, for Egyptians it's quite strict as part of the culture but if you are foreign it is very accepted that you have a different culture and don't have to be as conservative as Egyptians are expected to be.. Even myself I look Egyptian but it's clear I'm foreigner and they treat me as foreigner and don't impose the same rules on me.

You should live in a nice area.. Maadi is the best which is where I live and zamalek and Heliopolis are also nice, these areas aren't only nice because they are most full of expats but because the businesses and roads are more European / American influenced. I have met many Egyptian who get lost in Maadi because it's not a common place for Egyptians and also the roads are like European .. A lot of roundabouts like in London :) it's very nice & I feel most comfortable in Maadi. Although I will tell you it's not extremely nice there is still trash in the streets and things like this, it's of course egypt and I would say there is a large population of expats but the majority are well educated Egyptians. 100% Maadi is best area for foreigner in Egypt but there are other nice areas, I like zamalek a lot and also Heliopolis is very nice and underrated.. Nasr city is called noble rich place, a lot of rich Egyptians are thee because they had good luck with real estate and again the richer someone is the more likely they are more educated and open to new things. Also keep in mind you are British, you look 100% foreign only a strict or uneducated person would expect you to behave like Egyptian when you are clearly not.. As for the door people, my apartment building doesn't have one and I have cousins in maadi who also don't have anyone at the door.. They are not everywhere.

As far as meeting people, there is a club in Maadi it's an expat club.. I went in one day to take an application but ended up leaving for Spain soon after so I didn't apply but it looks nice, they serve imported alcohol and pork products and maybe it's more suitable to meet people closer to your age as when I went in most people were 25-50.. Not sure if it was just this day.

Bottom line is Egyptian standard of living is very very cheap, you will save a lot of money even if you are being charged foreigner prices or paying high rent & yes it's worth it in these nice areas ! Btw try to start Arabic courses when you arrive ( maybe you speak some in UAE but gulf Arabic is very different than Egyptian and most will not understand you at all. ) also there is uber which is a fixed rate taxi and more reliable.. Be smart and don't let them take advantage of you , good luck in cairo !

BreannaCairo wrote:

Hi !

I'm American born and raised but lived in Egypt for like 8 months and will be going back to learn the language.. ( I'm 1/2 American , 1/2 Egyptian )

I would say yes, especially if it's a good offer or salary near what you're getting in UAE. I've spent one week in UAE & lived in Egypt so I can tell you from what I see it may be better for you..

I have a few British friends and most that I know really enjoy Egypt & the culture also you are coming from UAE where it is more strict than Egypt .. Egypt is a very open minded country compared to the rest of the Middle East, for Egyptians it's quite strict as part of the culture but if you are foreign it is very accepted that you have a different culture and don't have to be as conservative as Egyptians are expected to be.. Even myself I look Egyptian but it's clear I'm foreigner and they treat me as foreigner and don't impose the same rules on me.

You should live in a nice area.. Maadi is the best which is where I live and zamalek and Heliopolis are also nice, these areas aren't only nice because they are most full of expats but because the businesses and roads are more European / American influenced. I have met many Egyptian who get lost in Maadi because it's not a common place for Egyptians and also the roads are like European .. A lot of roundabouts like in London :) it's very nice & I feel most comfortable in Maadi. Although I will tell you it's not extremely nice there is still trash in the streets and things like this, it's of course egypt and I would say there is a large population of expats but the majority are well educated Egyptians. 100% Maadi is best area for foreigner in Egypt but there are other nice areas, I like zamalek a lot and also Heliopolis is very nice and underrated.. Nasr city is called noble rich place, a lot of rich Egyptians are thee because they had good luck with real estate and again the richer someone is the more likely they are more educated and open to new things. Also keep in mind you are British, you look 100% foreign only a strict or uneducated person would expect you to behave like Egyptian when you are clearly not.. As for the door people, my apartment building doesn't have one and I have cousins in maadi who also don't have anyone at the door.. They are not everywhere.

As far as meeting people, there is a club in Maadi it's an expat club.. I went in one day to take an application but ended up leaving for Spain soon after so I didn't apply but it looks nice, they serve imported alcohol and pork products and maybe it's more suitable to meet people closer to your age as when I went in most people were 25-50.. Not sure if it was just this day.

Bottom line is Egyptian standard of living is very very cheap, you will save a lot of money even if you are being charged foreigner prices or paying high rent & yes it's worth it in these nice areas ! Btw try to start Arabic courses when you arrive ( maybe you speak some in UAE but gulf Arabic is very different than Egyptian and most will not understand you at all. ) also there is uber which is a fixed rate taxi and more reliable.. Be smart and don't let them take advantage of you , good luck in cairo !

well,comparing to the short 8 months which you lived in Egypt, but you just said it all and clear.  :top:

What? Most Egyptians won't understand Arabic speakers from the gulf?  :/

Horrible life in Egypt! Do not move. My advice!

thank you for this good words about Maadi /Cairo / and Egypt

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : Off topic + not helpful