Salary advise - Muscat - Internal Audit - 4 years exp - OMR 1100

I have got an offer from a Muscat based conglomerate as an internal auditor (around 4 yrs exp). Monthly salary offered is RO1,100. I am single and no plans for marriage for 1 year. I expect to lead a moderate lifestyle and not that of a pauper. Accommodation is not provided.

Details of salary breakup:
Basic - RO 695 per month
HRA - RO 225 per month
Conveyance - RO 150 per month
Telephone allowance - RO 30 per month
Total - RO 1,100 per month

Over & above this:
* Comprehensive medical insurance (for you and after marriage - wife and 2 children)
* Air fare to and from your home town (for you and after marriage - wife and 2 children)
* 30 calendar days paid leave in a year
* Gratuity as per Oman Labour Law

I have a few questions:

1. Is this salary good enough for the experience of 4 yrs - internal auditor.
2. Is this salary enough to save atleast Rs.1 lac pm after living a moderate lifestyle
3. What are good places for accommodation in muscat around Indian diaspora and what is cost of renting 1bhk & 2 bhk. My office is located at An Noor Street / Ruwi street, so accommodation near this area is what would be conducive.
4. I believe the entire salary is tax free, is it?
5. What would be the cost of buying a small / medium car (monthly EMI - Auto loan)

Hi ashvidia,

Let me keep my comments brief (for paucity of time). Find against your queries my responses :

1. Is this salary good enough for the experience of 4 yrs - internal auditor. - It is good.
2. Is this salary enough to save atleast Rs.1 lac pm after living a moderate lifestyle - You can save thereabouts. If accommodation had been provided, then yes, you could have. But even now, your savings won't be too bad.
3. What are good places for accommodation in muscat around Indian diaspora and what is cost of renting 1bhk & 2 bhk. My office is located at An Noor Street / Ruwi street, so accommodation near this area is what would be conducive. - Ruwi, Darsait, Mumtaz area, Al Falaj Area, Wadi Kabir are some localities which are predominantly populated by Indians, and more so South Indians.
4. I believe the entire salary is tax free, is it? - 100%
5. What would be the cost of buying a small / medium car (monthly EMI - Auto loan) - Would depend on the brand, model, etc. All car dealers offer excellent offers and deals which can be customised to suit your budget. So there is no fixed rate. But before you consider buying a car, it would be better for you to plan on getting your local driving licence first. That would be a huge challenge.

Please take some time to read through the many informative posts under the various topics of discussions in the forum. You will be able to glean all the information that you would require from there.

Thanks a ton sir...  :D

Please be free to revert to below when u find time:

1. How to find best rented apartments deals when I land in city
2. After meeting all living expenses will I be able to save atleast 50% of salary i. E OMR 550 pm. If not please give tips for saving some quick buck
3. Where can I buy good, value for money furnishing for home if I get unfurnished apartment. I am open to second hand furniture and electronics like TV, fridge etc
4. I heard Skype is banned... What are the other alternatives.
5. You said its a good salary...so i believe its right for a 4 yrs exp..auditor. Or should I have negotiated for more?

Sorry for asking a plethora of questions... But i really need to know as I have a plan to save some mullah to finance my MBA education.

Hi ashvidia,

My comments again, against your queries below :

1. How to find best rented apartments deals when I land in city -
Identify the area you would want to live. Do a recce. Contact the numbers provided. Visit the houses. Finalise the deal. I have explained the same elsewhere in this forum more in depth. Try to locate and read it for a more comprehensive response to the same query.
2. After meeting all living expenses will I be able to save atleast 50% of salary i. E OMR 550 pm. If not please give tips for saving some quick buck -
You should be able to. It's entirely up to you.
3. Where can I buy good, value for money furnishing for home if I get unfurnished apartment. I am open to second hand furniture and electronics like TV, fridge etc -
Again, more detailed responses are available in the forum. Locate and read for complete details.
4. I heard Skype is banned... What are the other alternatives. -
Many VPN services are available. Again, this is one of the most discussed subjects in the forum. So locate, read, and get benefited.
5. You said its a good salary...so i believe its right for a 4 yrs exp..auditor. Or should I have negotiated for more? - I know nothing about the salary slabs of auditors. I said the salary is generally good, especially since you have just 4-years of professional experience.