Unmarried couples living together in Muscat...

Hi

My boyfriend is applying for a job in Oman / Muscat and if successful I would go with him and apply for work (we are currently living in Singapore).

I've read that it is illegal to live together in Oman if not married. Is this applicable for non muslims / non Omenis? And if so is it inadvisable to risk it? Does anyone hear of anyone who does?  We could look at renting separate apartments but that will be expensive and defeats the whole purpose!

Thanks

If you try being discreet don't think that will be a problem.

annabelfox Today 11:34:42
Hi

My boyfriend is applying for a job in Oman / Muscat and if successful I would go with him and apply for work (we are currently living in Singapore).

I've read that it is illegal to live together in Oman if not married. Is this applicable for non muslims / non Omenis? And if so is it inadvisable to risk it? Does anyone hear of anyone who does?  We could look at renting separate apartments but that will be expensive and defeats the whole purpose!

Thanks

You cannot come to Oman if you don't have a marital status with your partner. Oman is a Muslim state and doesn't believe on illegal and unethical relationships but a legal family system. If you  want to stay with your partner, get married, then obtain a family visa and come down to Oman or else it would not just be possible for you.

live.ali Today 11:47:10
If you try being discreet don't think that will be a problem.

Please don't misguide anyone or don't arouse anyone to do something that is considered illegal as per Oman laws. Provoking someone to find illegal way is also considered as crime. Hence, please refrain from posting such replies.

Sorry that not true

@ omanlove > Can you please give more details? To which post are you referring to please?

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

First in Oman we know non Muslims live together in same house like husband and wife so this not issue here also no anything per Oman laws about this and I have friends like that and many live here  not married .

Hi Annabel,

In addition to the above posts, being in a bonafide relationship isn't recognised unless you've got a marriage certificate to prove that, terming it illegal is a bit too harsh ;) ................... Personally I don't think its worth the effort to be in a live-in-relationship in Oman. That being said, its not like people aren't doing it here... just not worth the effort.

There are a lot of live-in partners in Oman which is considered unlawful in Muslim country. Problem will arise if someone complained or reported the couple If it is a common knowledge that you are not married. But if those around you knows that you are legitimate husband and wife then they dont have issue to report.

Also choose the place to live there are places that being inspected by the police. All these years I live in Oman I haven't experienced that my place was checked in the middle of the night by the police.

When I was in Doha I heard that there are marriage certificate that can be obtained somewhere with all the stamps but not registered in the statistics office of your country of origin only for the purpose of police check. If both of you have the same nationality that would be less complicated.

Better go through this hassle than going through the hassle of getting out of the marriage later on :D

You can obtain tourism visa and live with/accompany him!
However, a piece of advise, why do not get married and live peacefully!? :)

Hi Annabella,

the point is you won't be able to get a 2 years residence in oman as an unmarried couple,  I know lot of unmarried expats live with their partners here in Oman but she/he comes with a 1 month tourist visa and once you are in Oman, you will have to keep renewing your visa every month by going to dubai and coming back in the same day.

If you are lucky, your boyfriend can try to apply a residence for you through his company, it does work sometimes.

good luck and all the best,
fatina

No issues, you both can live together even I know many locals who are living without marriage.
I am living in Oman since 3 years and never hear any news regarding this.

As has been pointed out, what you are proposing is illegal in Oman and if you chose to live and work in a country other than your own, then you have no option but to abide by those laws or take the consequences and duly pay the price if caught and that goes for both of you.
Yes, people do run the risk and remember the residence visa will be in you boyfriends name as will the apartment.
Because you will be there on a visitor's visa ( I assume one month) you will find every two months that you will need to do a visa run assuming that you have the privilege to do so as this may well be based on your nationality as you can only renew a visitors visa twice before having to leave the country, although tings may well have changed in the three years since I left, but having had an association with Oman going back almost 30 years, I have not heard to the contrary.
You will also find life fairly restrictive.
Without the residence card,you will not be able to open a bank account, buy a car, rent an apartment and as a single woman getting you a residence / work visa never mind applying for and getting clearance to recruit you will prove to be difficult but having said that it can depend on who your sponsor is.

i would suggest for the concerned person to get a marriage certificate anywhere else in this planet to protect yourselves from the police checking they have no way to check if it's valid or not, I know locals who got married with another nationality but the marriage is not official and not recognized by the laws of Oman but they are accepted by the society as husband and wife ....i will go off topic a little bit...marriage, legal, illegal, moral, immoral...were only devised on this planet, it's more headache and more costly to get out of a marriage when the time comes that you don't want to be there anymore....and no one has the right to judge you....there are a lot of ways to stay in oman and live in oman with the person you want to be with without getting through what they call "marriage"

Hi everybody,

I would like to inform you that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this topic.

Regards

Priscilla

Hi! your issue is not a big deal thou its Muslim country. the only way you can be together, both of you must have job and live with people who can understand both of you. choose the place you will live and people to live.
theirs a lot like you here and end up in the church wedding so don't worry you will make it.

I have a love, but my father don't let us to get married, and my boyfriend has a job in Oman, I have a job too, there. We want to marry in Oman. Can you help me about the law.
Thanks

@hexebella  you mentioned local married to foreigners  but not recognized by law of Oman. What if they have kids then ? Will it be illegal ?

My god. Its entertaining how its 2023 and yet we still find very pleasant people trying to oppress even with topics they know nothing of. We are not in Saudi or Pakistan. This is Oman. The most easy going of all GCC countries. And yes, you will not be able to get a long term visa unless you are married, have a job in Oman or start your own business. The issue in this world are opinions and perspectives, just because someone has one, doesn't mean they are correct. Listen, respect, learn, teach, tolerate and love. 🙏

Hi, we are sri lankan leagly married couple.no childrens.we have married certificate.

Then we want want to know,

We have o2 work permit for 02 year in oman.

So can we stay in same room ? Is it leagl in oman ?

Thank you for ur support.

@annabelfox it's okay to live with your boyfriend or anyone.