Living in Malaysia vs. Indonesia

Hell Ii will possibly me moving to Malaysia next year, and wanted some advice related to housing. What is a safe area to live?
Are there serviced apartments in Kuala Lumpur like in Hong Kong for expats?
Do they have a good public transport system?
Is Kuala lumpur a better place to live than Jakarta in Indonesia? I see a lot of negative news on Indonesia (flooding, cyclones, anti-christians attacks) and it concerns me, somif I could choose I would prefer Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you very much for your advice.

I have only visited Kuala Lumpur, so I can only write from a visitor's perspective, but it looks like it's easier to live in KL than in Jakarta.  I love living in Jakarta though.  Jakarta is a vibrant city with many interesting aspects of a city life, but compared to Kuala Lumpur, life is more difficult.  KL is more developed, cleaner, has better public transportation, easier to travel to other cities and countries, and so forth.  There are a lot of negative media coverage about Indonesia unfortunately, but I think it sounds worse than it actually is sometimes.  I would recommend looking at the safety aspect of life in both cities as a woman.  I have never lived in KL, so I can't really compare, but KL seems pretty safe to me.  I find Jakarta pretty safe despite the reputations.  I hope you'll hear from more people.  Good luck!   

Veronica17 wrote:

Hell Ii will possibly me moving to Malaysia next year, and wanted some advice related to housing. What is a safe area to live?
Is Kuala lumpur a better place to live than Jakarta in Indonesia? I see a lot of negative news on Indonesia (flooding, cyclones, anti-christians attacks) and it concerns me, somif I could choose I would prefer Kuala Lumpur.

Hi Veronica17,

I'm an Indonesian software engineer working and living in KL for 3 years. Here's what I think (mostly about KL):

Foreigners tend to cluster by country of origin, e.g many Japanese are in Mont Kiara, but in general expats in KL stay in Bangsar, Month Kiara, Damansara, MidValley. Not coincidentally, those places are quite expensive. And yes, there are many services apartments here, and not only in those areas. In Indonesia, living in high rise buildings (i.e. apartments) is not as common as in here.

Malaysians are more used to seeing/interacting with foreigners, so you won't get that stare where people think you're alien.

Public transport in (greater) KL is better in terms of quality, but (greater) Jakarta wins hand down for coverage. Taxis are very picky and in certain areas they don't want to use meter esp. if you're foreigner. Most locals own a car though, and many of my foreigner friends end up having one. I happen to stay just next to a train station.

There are more fanatics/busy body in Jakarta because those people are not educated and unemployed. But most of the time foreigners don't deal with them.

In general, KL is a better place esp. for foreigners to stay. Jakarta is a nice place if you stay in expat-friendly places, e.g. Kemang in South Jakarta.

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO BOTH OF YOU for taking the time to respond to my questions. Your input is very important for me. This is VERY helpful.
Best of luck to you!

Veronica

Hi Veronica....if i am Alex...Malaysian CHinese...if u need my help..do let me know...

I would concur with the comments by Chuzai as I too have lived in KL and it is safe, clean, compact as a city so it's easy to go places.  However, when it comes to food, Jakarta trumps on so many aspects.  I do like Chilis in KLCC though as I've tried in LA and Seoul, I think it was? No good.   Indonesians people are genuinely friendly but not so fluent as Malaysians in their conduct of English language, although Malaysians have their distinguished accent. 
The system is better in Malaysia while in Indonesia, it's getting there.
I love living in Jakarta regardless of the massive traffic jams and the chaos. 
I've lived in many countries and to say I love living in Jakarta says a lot.
Hope this helps.

Veronica17 wrote:

KL is far better in many respects but I still prefer Jakarta.
As for:

flooding, KL has lots of that

Cyclones - not seen one here so far - I think you may be thinking about another country

anti-christians attacks - Ner. Some churches are closed down (unfairly) but Christians don't get attacked in the streets.
Try reading some of Malaysia's history; they have a less than perfect record.

Sounds like you've been reading rubbish in newspapers.

“Sounds like you've been reading rubbish in newspapers.”

Way to go Fred…spoken like a true Indonesian!

Truth be told there is a lot of rivalry between Malaysia and Indonesia.  Some of this stems from ongoing territorial disputes, unsportsmanlike conduct of Malaysian fans at infamous Malaysia vs. Indonesian football matches, but what really gets an Indonesian's irk is when Malaysians claim credit and origin for many of the cultural icons of Indonesian culture, such as the kris, batik, dance, gamelan…just to mention a few.

It seems to be an inconvenient historical truth that Malaysia was dominated for centuries by the Indonesia based Srivijava and Majapahit Empires.   

Anyway, while I personally think Malaysia is fine, their popular tourism jingle, “Malaysia, truly Asia” just ain't so in my book.

In keeping with the responses here so far, the simple truth is, if you ask the question, Malaysia vs. Indonesia you can expect the answers and preferences to pretty much align to where the respondent is living.

Ubudian wrote:

“Sounds like you've been reading rubbish in newspapers.”

Way to go Fred…spoken like a true Indonesian!

Truth be told there is a lot of rivalry between Malaysia and Indonesia.  Some of this stems from ongoing territorial disputes, unsportsmanlike conduct of Malaysian fans at infamous Malaysia vs. Indonesian football matches, but what really gets an Indonesian's irk is when Malaysians claim credit and origin for many of the cultural icons of Indonesian culture, such as the kris, batik, dance, gamelan…just to mention a few.

It seems to be an inconvenient historical truth that Malaysia was dominated for centuries by the Indonesia based Srivijava and Majapahit Empires.   

Anyway, while I personally think Malaysia is fine, their popular tourism jingle, “Malaysia, truly Asia” just ain't so in my book.

In keeping with the responses here so far, the simple truth is, if you ask the question, Malaysia vs. Indonesia you can expect the answers and preferences to pretty much align to where the respondent is living.

Wasn't going to touch on how Malaysia claims credits and origins for many of the cultural icons including songs this what baffles me of Malaysians.  The audacity to unabashedly believe that they are theirs speak volume of what these people are made of.  Hence my comment on "Indonesian people are "genuine" people.

Ubudian wrote:

I don't know.
I've explored a lot of Malaysia and I rather like the place.
As for "Truly Asia", sort of depends what Asia is supposed to be against what it actually is.

Fred, the way I look at Malaysia it was totally screwed by the English colonialists…no offense intended.  Thanks to them the entire population of the country was radically changed, thus in my view, one doesn't get any sense of an indigenous country with deep historical and continuous roots which one might think is necessary for a country to call itself emblematic, or truly Asia.

Ubudian wrote:

Fred, the way I look at Malaysia it was totally screwed by the English colonialists…no offense intended.  Thanks to them the entire population of the country was radically changed, thus in my view, one doesn't get any sense of an indigenous country with deep historical and continuous roots which one might think is necessary for a country to call itself emblematic, or truly Asia.

The English (+ a few Scots and so on) colonised the place and turned much of it into a little England (without the lousy weather) but Malaysia retains its own cultural identity.
The Chinese tin miners brought their culture with them as did the Indians but the local culture remains as well.
Most people see so little of a place but, if you wish to find out what it's really like, you have to toss the 'lonely planet' in the bin and get off the beaten track.

In turn, that means talking to locals and getting their opinions and ideas. Malaysia was my first experience of 'wandering' (France doesn't count because it's ......er......France) so I wasn't as up on what to look for as I am now but I still managed to get a pretty good handle on things.

“…but Malaysia retains its own cultural identity.”

I agree, but that identity is one which was created by its English colonizers and rather recently in history at that.     

It's interesting to compare Indonesia and the effects of Dutch colonization on it…a colonization which lasted some 350 years, to Malaysia which was colonized by the English for less than half that time.

I also agree with you Fred that Malaysia is interesting and certainly worthy of visiting and exploring, but I laugh every time I hear that incongruous jingle, “Malaysia, truly Asia.”  Seriously, the idea that a country in Asia which completely underwent a metamorphosis just a couple of hundred of years ago defines or represents what is Asia, is rather preposterous, don't you think? 

Anyway, a good discussion to have over some beers one day!

Cheers!

Make it coca cola and you're on.

My minimal time in Malaysia didn't allow me to explore as closely as I would like but the local culture was very much evident.
At the time, I was doing a fetish on Chinese girls so I spent quite a lot of time exploring Chinese cultural influence in Malaysia.
That is serious stuff and has to be seen behind the scenes to fully appreciate the subtleties that drive the festivals.
However, I was very lucky and became friends with some local guys in small Malay villages where tradition is still strong.
The English influence did seriously effect the country as is evident in both the immigrant populations and the way things tend to be done.
Basically, they've retained the English style of colonial government but slapped a local twist onto it. That's probably why they've been so good at what they've done.
As you say, the colonial influence changed things so much but we didn't destroy all and it's still there to find.

However, Indonesia's rich cultural mix is far stronger as I'm sure you're aware.
Bali wasn't invaded until about 100 years ago and the bits the Dutch did manage to colonise over the last few hundred years were pretty much left alone except for stealing as much as they could.
English influence in Malaysia was far greater than the Dutch here as we infested all levels of society there whereas the Dutch left the locals alone unless they wanted to enslave, steal or rape.
I'm unsure of the English record in Malaysia regarding the above.

Coke it is Fred. 

"English influence in Malaysia was far greater than the Dutch here as we (the English)infested all levels of society there whereas the Dutch left the locals alone unless they wanted to enslave, steal or rape."

Yup!

"Bali wasn't invaded until about 100 years ago..."

More like 160 years ago...the late 1840's and the Balinese seriously kicked the Dutch behinds too!  Selamat I Gusti Ketuk Jelantik! 

Bali didn't completely fall to the Dutch until 1908. 

The Balinese are tough hombres amigo! ;)

I've been doing a little reading up on early Dutch settlements in Batavia. Interesting stuff and just as nasty.
Between raping local girls because there were no Dutch women around and mass murder of Chinese immigrants - they were a bit nasty.
The Dutch, best I can tell, seem to have invested in whatever they needed to plunder the local resources and not a lot more.
That takes care of the railway system in Central Java for a start.

This total lack of interest in the locals left local culture to go its own way.

‘Bhinneka Tunggal Ika' and ‘Gotong royong' (Luckily, I'm reading up on some stuff I was sent the other day so I don't have to find the phrases - cheers, Saf) are commonly lost in Malaysia but are still very strong in Indonesia. The Malay villages still have this attitude but even smaller towns have lost it.
My experiences whist living in a village for so many years has helped me understand these concepts and I like them.

As for the Balinese and the Dutch -  serious arse kicking for the Dutch in several attempts. That has to be pretty impressive as the Dutch were so well armed.

indonesia is heavn 4 female expat,,,if u looking fun,enjoy pla.blablllla bla,,,but kl life is so bzy no one hve timev4 u people r mostly very rude n shoting allwayz if u no beluve gohead n chek ur self,,u mast rember jakarta life or indonesian people,

hell no, u should read a lot. you know

learn english first then say anything what you want

mas fred wrote:

I've been doing a little reading up on early Dutch settlements in Batavia. Interesting stuff and just as nasty.
Between raping local girls because there were no Dutch women around and mass murder of Chinese immigrants - they were a bit nasty.
The Dutch, best I can tell, seem to have invested in whatever they needed to plunder the local resources and not a lot more.
That takes care of the railway system in Central Java for a start.

This total lack of interest in the locals left local culture to go its own way.

‘Bhinneka Tunggal Ika' and ‘Gotong royong' (Luckily, I'm reading up on some stuff I was sent the other day so I don't have to find the phrases - cheers, Saf) are commonly lost in Malaysia but are still very strong in Indonesia. The Malay villages still have this attitude but even smaller towns have lost it.
My experiences whist living in a village for so many years has helped me understand these concepts and I like them.

As for the Balinese and the Dutch -  serious arse kicking for the Dutch in several attempts. That has to be pretty impressive as the Dutch were so well armed.

been there, but indonesian were the one who litter a lot. no wonder they have to 'gotong royong' a lot

Ur post is ady 4yrs, so hows life in malaysia? Is it awesome in ur opinion? 😊

joe18 wrote:

Ur post is ady 4yrs, so hows life in malaysia? Is it awesome in ur opinion? 😊

With whom you are talking here ?

I often like an old thread reopened as it brings back memories.
In this case, the "Thanks, Saf" was a reminder of a conversation with a very intelligent young lady I met some years ago, but only really knew for around a year.
Some people stick in your mind, and Safira was one of those people.
Exceptionally bright, a lovely personality, and great English (down to the odd points few except native speakers can manage) made her a very interesting person to chat to. We often discussed points about Indonesian culture and I think we both took something good away from the conversations.

Whilst post 21 was otherwise pointless, it reminded me of something nice.

No indigenous culture left because the British people have totally screwed them?  What about the indigenous Malaysian culture like Malay culture, Dayak culture and Orang Asli culture?  They are still alive.  Besides, many indigenous Malaysians are better off compared to the average Native Americans.  So, I wouldn't say Malaysia's culture is totally dominated by British culture.

Would you say the Native Americans are losing their cultural identity since White settlers came taking their lands and turning it into little Europe.  It seems to me what most people know today with the Wild West American culture stems from White American culture.

The British did not totally turn it into Little Britain.  So, I'd have to disagree with you on that.  There are various Asian races living in Malaysia, each contributing their own culture - Malays, Chinese, Indians and he various indigenous .  What more to say there are Siamese and Portuguese Eurasians (Kristang people) too.  British influence is generally seen with common law and the Westminster system.  I could also say the Dutch have influence Indonesia through it's legal system.  So, I wouldn't say Indonesia is totally Little Netherlands or Little Holland. 

Being a former British colony, surely the United States has adopted British ideas - especially through aspects of common law? You wouldn't say America is exactly Little Britain or another Britain would you?  I know American culture is not the same as British culture, but I think you even have more in common with Britain than Malaysia, especially with many people of British ancestry there (English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Cornish people).

You don't like the "Malaysia Truly Asia" slogan is simply a matter of individual perspective.  Individuals have different perspectives.  In my perspective, it is called truly Asia because of the melting pot of mostly Asian races as I have mentioned above that inhabit Malaysia.  Just because there are people non-indigenous to Malaysia who introduce their culture, it doesn't mean Malaysia is stealing their culture, because after all Malaysia is multi-cultural and multi-racial.  Besides, I don't see Chinese and Indians complaining about Malaysians stealing their culture.  So, Indonesians should not be accusing Malaysia of cultural theft since there are many Indonesians who have introduced their culture to multi-cultural and multi-racial Malaysia.  They should get over that issue.

Besides, why did you start arguing on that topic since it is irrelevant to the topic in question? Are you trying to crave for attention?

I also would like to say you're entitled to your opinion of "Malaysia Truly Asia" slogan, but I have my own opinion to it and I beg to differ.  To me, yes, the background music in the commercial isn't really my taste, but has made it's point as multi-cultural and multi-racial Malaysia, which is real.

Yes, Malaysia and Indonesia both do have European colonial architectural styles as seen on shops, hotels, houses and some other buildings, but that does not necessarily mean these respective countries have been totally British and Dutch in character.  They have their own local cultures.

“They should get over that issue.” 

“They” meaning we Indonesians.

We would if Malaysians stopped trying to take credit for the cultural icons of Indonesian culture, such as the kris, batik, dance, gamelan…just to mention a few…ALL of which were introduced to Malaysia during the centuries that Malaysia was in fact part of Indonesia, viz, the Srivijaya and Majapahit Empires.

As for the cultural make up of Malaysia in more “modern” times, you should read up on Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles.  It was he who imported countless numbers of Chinese and Indians into Malaysia, thus changing its cultural make up forever. 

This is all just factual history…no big deal, just the way it was. 

Anyway, welcome to the forum, but don't history personally.   ;)

Cheers!

Malaysia is quite nice especially if you like shopping in malls, but it is difficult to see any culture anywhere. Maybe that it because the country is modern and KL seems to be following in the tracks of Singapore. What I love about Indonesia is that you see, feel and breath the culture everywhere you go. Perhaps that is possible in Malaysia in places like Sabah and Sarawak. And then I really like it that Indonesia has amazing landscape and not huge flat stretches of palm oil plantations. Also, the Indonesian people are very friendly.

I go to KL alot and to be honest its nice there..It just depends on how your trying to view it i have alot of friends in KL and kuching and bsides lets put it this way KL was picked for NASCAR there first races are Aug 7 and 9 th this year ....It takes alot of local influence and condtions to get a nascar event. But dont get me wrong i like jakarta as well but at times i wish enviroment wise was more like KL... Just how i see it as living wise now the culture battle others speak of well that story will never end from.what all i have seen and heard lol my comment is only living and enviromentle wise. And with singapore being so close with its economics well enough said.