Healthcare in Nigeria

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Nigeria ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Nigeria?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Hi Julien,

I can only speak for Lagos, but you'll find good clinics with well trained doctors, both foreigners or Nigerians who studied abroad. I never had any serious issues that required surgery, but I've heard that everything can be delivered up to European standards.

Healthcare: If you work for a Nigerian owned company under a local contract, you will participate in whichever health scheme your company subscribed to. There is no universal healthcare, meaning the particular health provider limits you to a handful of specific hospitals you can use - they are usually not the best ones (not terribly bad as in other African countries, but still not advisable for more serious treatments).

If you are hired as an expat, most companies provide specific expat insurance - if you don't get it, I would definitely recommend to arrange for it privately to have access to all medical facilities without limitations (you'll have to pay cash and will get reimbursed).

Can't tell you if there is a difference in the public sector, I have only been dealing with private sector employees so far.

Hope that can shed some light!