Healthcare in Peru

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Peru ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Peru?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Julien,

Our healthcare is far from perfect, but at least pays for most of our medicines and surgery procedures that most Peruvians couldn't afford without it. In my personal experience -as a Peruvian-born citizen- public healthcare has been helpful enough to take care of myself and my whole family. The main drawback may be the fact that they usually don't have ALL the drugs u are prescripted, so u need to go to a private drugstore anyways to get some.

Of course, if u can really afford it, I suggest u take ur time to consider private health insurance. There are several companies and what I dislike about them is the half-truths & 'small letters' on their contracts, which usually mean the more u pay, the more decent the deal will be. So again- Read the small letters. Ask a Peruvian friend who is into that insurance. No need to rush into the first deal u are offered.

One advantage of private health insurance is that u really save time since there are no endless lines to wait in, and the medical staff will treat u much more nicely.

BTW, compared to the American system, I can tell u for sure Peruvian healthcare is paradise :-)

Hope my answer was helpful.

Good luck!

Thank you spanisharecom for your contribution. :)

Aurélie

Yes Health care system works in Peru and its better to have Insurence in Peru ,If you are not covered by Govt insurance or through  your employers it is recommened to have Private Insurance , REMAC & PACIFICO are major private ensurance companies

Regards

Umesh Singh

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team