Do the Japanese have bad opinion about foreigners from eastern Europe?

Hello all,

I am 24 years old, from small country in eastern Europe and planning to visit Japan some day (possibly even live there...haven't decided yet!), but I am also curious what do Japanese people think of foreigners (especially white people from eastern Europe)? Thanks in advance for the answers...

There are many Japanese who love Russians. So, I don't see why they would dislike any Eastern European.
But still, there are a lot of people in Japan and they're not the same.
Don't let it stop you because of some people disliking you.

Buddy, you haven't decide yet?! You think Japan and it's most restrictive emigration rules are waiting for someone from east?! Well, enjoy your holiday, but after it, imagin a back way to your home :)

Thanks for the input...also thanks for the answer of flo bologna above.

Yes...I know they aren't the most 'job friendly' country in the world, I've also read some people accusing Japan for using signs such as the ones warning people not to enter shops unless they speak Japanese. But personally I do NOT think this is a xenophobic thing to do.

Btw, in reference to your answer: So you mean Japanese think of other eastern europeans in a way similar to how they think of Russians? Interesting...most people from eastern europe these days do not like to be associated with russians...especially countries such as Ukraine, Bulgaria, Poland, but I believe you. Most foreigners think russians and other eastern europeans have lots in common.

That was just an example but I don't see much difference.
We're all people and I think they see all gaijin as, well, gaijin.
You don't have to worry about if they will like/dislike you depending on where you come from.
Even if they do, it does not mean that every Japanese dislike Eastern European so it's kind of pointless to be worrying about such a thing.

If you want to visit Japan, go ahead! I think it's not too late to decide whether you want to return to Japan or not after your first visit.

I was just in Japan the week before last and everyone was quite pleasant and very helpful.  One part of the culture seems to be they keep to themselves, and are more reserved than in most other cultures, even aside from issues related to talking to foreigners, which would seem to involve language as much as anything else.

I can't imagine how they would have distinct impressions of Eastern Europeans versus Russians or anyone else, even though I really can't speak for the Japanese people.  I live in Thailand, where they do have a lot of contact with foreigners from different places, and to them all white foreigners are generally seen as the same. 

Thai people with a lot of contact history might begin to distinguish individual cultures, but even though I've known a number of people from Eastern Europe personally I still don't have a great feel for regional culture characteristics there.

^ thanks...good info.

I am Albanian. Most poor eastern country. Japanese don't even know where it is. They don't like any abroader, trust me. I am married with a japanese, so i have a family visa, my wife too don't like japan. I used to live for 24 years in Italy, i am a chef, very good one, and i come here because love, but japan's rules are bad. You need to come here and live here to understand all. Good luck my neaby eastern european friend
facebook.com/grainca.florian

@flo bologna:

Most people outside Europe know very little about Bulgaria too (my country)...bulgaria is also among the poorest in europe so not much difference. I knew a guy from Albania once, he was decent but all the time was talking how the Albanian mafia is the strongest in europe (0_0 - i think he had a point and...we also have mafia in bulgaria so...same thing...).

I also know though how Albania saved their Jews in WW2 which I think is great!

As to Japan again: It's probably not too bad? Whenever i see pictures of Japanese people they are always smiling and look friendly.

Visiting somewhere (as I did Japan, twice now) and living there are two different things,  and people being pleasant on the street and accepting a foreigner as a neighbor and coworker are also different.   

Of course not everyone in a country would share the same perspective,  and rights and restrictions are something else. Any one simple answer is unlikely to tell the story but input from people living there could help.  Maybe blogs could serve as sources; expats in every country write them, and this site lists some.

Based on experiences here in Thailand it seems likely bloggers would be positive,  that self-selection about who writes a blog would narrow input to those with positive experiences.  Expats here fall into two general groups in outlook, positive and negative,  also probably linked to different types of conditions and backgrounds.   On a barstool or in a forum you might be likely to hear different ranges of outlooks than from blogs.

I'm an American guy, retired from IT job in USA.  I've been in Japan 2 years, married to Japanese wife.  I've had zero problems with neighbors, actually very positive.  Part of that is because my attitude is very positive and that effects those I'm in contact with.

As far as employment coworkers, that's a different story.  That might be a bit of a challenge.

There's a lot of good things here in Japan, but the Japanese are extremely 'naive', i.e. they have that sort of 'center of the universe' attitude like in many other countries.  They can be quite shy, probably due to the language barrier.

I've found it important to not feel personally insulted because of the apparently 'stupid' things they do; their culture is still quite inflexible, but your attitude about their behavior can make things either a lot more or less pleasant.

The immigration rules are a separate subject.  This is a political game and often not a very pleasant one.  Be aware of the rules before you make the leap to Japan.  I've got no regrets coming here, but learning the language is certainly a big problem; at least for me.