License to drive in Belgium

Hello - Can anyone assist me with requirements for driving in Belgium? I am Canadian - will my license be valid in Belgium, or perhaps would an International Drivers License work? I am also hoping to purchase a car for my 6 month stay. Are there any particular requirements for a non Belgian to purchase a car? Where is the best place to look for a used car? Many thanks in advance - much appreciated!

All information you need abour license -> goca.be/fr/ (only in FR,NL) but I guess you speak french also ?

Hi,
Regarding your driving licence, you'll have to go to the "Commune" (townhall) to register.
For a car, check this: myway.be
Good luck : )

Hi can anyone help me, my wife is a  (EU) citizen and we are hoping to out go out to Belgium for 6-9 months travelling a kinda working holiday but if it works out settle down there for a bit.

My question is mainly regarding  a residency and driving.

I havent got an international driving license just a US one. which I understand once I have got a temporary residence card I can then transfer to a belgium one so I can drive their.  Has anyone got any idea how long all of this will take me on arrival?

MelsPartner wrote:

Hi can anyone help me, my wife is a  (EU) citizen and we are hoping to out go out to Belgium for 6-9 months travelling a kinda working holiday but if it works out settle down there for a bit.

My question is mainly regarding  a residency and driving.

I havent got an international driving license just a US one. which I understand once I have got a temporary residence card I can then transfer to a belgium one so I can drive their.  Has anyone got any idea how long all of this will take me on arrival?

Residence card will normally take 1 month or so from the date of your registration in the local commune. The turn around time highly depends on the workload of the commune and ministry.

Once you get the resident card, you an present your US driving license to the commune and they give you a Belgian one. In my knowledge, they take some time (a week or so) to verify the authenticity of your home license.