School and education system

Hi all,
I am Mrs jain, from India. I am with my husband and 2.5 year's old kid coming to Brussels in July this year. I have very little information about education system in Brussels...please guide me on this...

1) My daughter is 2.5 years...what is the best education system for her and what are the fee structure.
2) When the new session starts and addmition took place.
3) My plans to stay in country for nearly 4years. What are the patterns for extra ccurricular activities activities like dance and swimming and their fees...?
4) What options for me to engage on part time basis to keep myself engage...unpaid works can also do.
5) And lastly how much saving we can expect on salary of 5500euro/m in hand.

Thank you...

No reply.... :(

It take some time before some one is able to answer the questions. Be patient!

I can only answer your last question: if  you have 5500 euro monthly in your hand to spend, trust me, you can save al lot.
But I have to say that it all depends on your lifestyle.

Belgium is similar to the Netherlands so I can give you a brief general information about schooling: you can choose between private and governmental schools and in each "section" there are differences too. Some schools offers activities after school ("brede scholen") and some don't so you need to find clubs who offers classes of your choice.

When you arrive in July the schools are closed due the summer break. Since your child is 2.5 years old, he/she can attend a kindergarten (peuterspeelzaal) for a couple of mornings. Or to a daycare if you whish. It is possible there will be a waiting list after the registration. Fees depends mostly of the salary.
If you know that you will be living in Brussels, you can search online and contact them at forehand.
My advise to you is, to visit the facilities of your choice, with your kid, because then you will know if your kid like it.

anijain wrote:

Hi all,
I am Mrs jain, from India. I am with my husband and 2.5 year's old kid coming to Brussels in July this year. I have very little information about education system in Brussels...please guide me on this...

1) My daughter is 2.5 years...what is the best education system for her and what are the fee structure.
3) My plans to stay in country for nearly 4years. What are the patterns for extra ccurricular activities activities like dance and swimming and their fees...?
4) What options for me to engage on part time basis to keep myself engage...unpaid works can also do.

Thank you...

1) public and freein Dutch or French (French is 95% in Brussels) or private in English/Japanese/German/Greek etc
2) school starts 1st September, admissions at any time
3) lots, too much to list
4) Serve the City is a good charity to start with for English speakers
5) 5500 is double the national average net salary, what you save will depend on what you spend, I have a familly of 5, on that salary, I'd be saving 2000 a month

I hate writing "please read the existing threads in https://www.expat.com/forum/257-6-study … ssels.html:)  But doing that, will give you a lot of information that is already discussed while addressing similar questions :)

Thanks Primadonna and tervurener.

Your inputs are really helpful. I never knew that July and august are the summer vacation time...I thought I was running behind academic year...thanks a ton.
Is there a registration que to get the admission in a dual language school. Or I can get easily once I reach there.

Thanks you.

Hi Aneeshks,

Sorry to bother you.
Your link is not working but I still try to find out my queries in the forum.

Regards
Ani Jain.

anijain wrote:

Hi Aneeshks,

Sorry to bother you.
Your link is not working but I still try to find out my queries in the forum.

Regards
Ani Jain.

Sorry there was one extra " as the last character in the link.

Here is it again:
https://www.expat.com/forum/257-6-study … ssels.html
Academic year 2015-16 Info on Brussels Capital Region: http://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm?id=5732

Regards
Aneesh

The best school that I have known is International Montessori School Tervuren. It is bilingual and teacher student ratio is 11:1. I saw the rating of the school and decided to visit. It is the best environment you can think for your child. It has from 2.5 yrs to 11yrs old age group. You will love it!

Hi tejasvani,
Thanks for your input. I will defenetly visit that school. Its English/ French or English/Duch?
She will be three in September. I read somewhere that schools don't teach English to kids younger than four years old. Is it true..?

Thank you...
Ani jain

There are NO public schools in Belgium that teach English to under 12s, except for about 20 schools of the French community, in Wallonia alone, nowhere near Brussels. Children in public schools in Brussels do not learn English until 14 years old.

The school mentioned is a private school, it will cost you 20-30k per year. Most Belgians don't even earn enough that they'd be able to pay the school fees there.

Please ignore the advice from the Netherlands person. School is full time from 2.5 years here, not mornings.

anijain wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you...

Hello Anijain,
I work for a Commune. Like Tervurener said school is day long here at that age.
1) The public schools(Communal) are not that bad here.
2) You can register but there is the possibility of a wait for private schooling.
3)The extra curricular activities are called stages here and there are many offered and the fees vary. My step son goes to climbing once a week and it is 150€ for the session(quarter).
4)This depends alot on your interests and willingness to travel. There are volunteer organizations everywhere paid work depends on your skill set.
5) Savings depends on lifestyle as Tervurener said. With that salary I would be saving 2500€ by month with a family of 4, and have more out to eat or family treats/outings to boot. My kids are older, he 11 and she 17 so at the expensive ages for wanting everything names brand etc... Wait to shop/buy for the clothes until the sales(2 by year) and you can save a bundle.
Sorry for the book and hope it helps.

Hi Anijain,
Welcome in Brussels!
1) I recommand you this small british school with high academic level:
BJAB (British Junior Academy in Brussels)   bjab.org   
2) New term start in September, your daughter should  be in Pre Kindergarten
3) Aspria is a nice place to go
5) depends on how much you're going to spend in housing

Good luck : )