Top 5 tips to live in Belgium

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Belgium.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Belgium?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Belgium!

Thank you in advance :)

Despite the fact you may have French, I really believe it is also worth learning Flemish/Dutch, not just for work purposes but for travel around Belgium (even if the English spoken by Belgians is great!!) and of course for visiting nearby Holland.   Like any place, the locals appreciate people knowing their language.

You might also feel more settled if you can handle the two main languages spoken in Belgium.

Number 1 (and is the most important...) Learn the language corresponding to the area you will be living/moving to. Northern Half is primarily Dutch. Southern half primarily French.

Number 2 If you leave your area for work in the "other" area(s) learn that language too.
It does not hurt to know the other one to help in the work areas.
Brussels is a tri-lingual city Dutch/French/English.

Number 3 RELAX... life abroad is not so chaotic. If you are stressed you will stress out others.

Number 4 Don't expect the American definition of friendship too quickly... Those take time to develop over here.
(Been here almost 5 years and have only 2).

Number 5 Enjoy life... You moved here for a reason... There is a refreshing difference make the most of it...

Hi i applyed for the family reunion visa 4 months before for belgium.
My husband is working there from last year.
Today i got reply for my visa decision " waiting for the receipt of supporting document from diplomatic post/ councilor.
I cant understand it.
I applyed a strong application through belgium lawyer.
Pls help me.

Hello,
Not to worry... Sounds like they are awaiting some missing paperwork from your embassy or his boss or both.
regards,
Howard

By the way forgot to tell you it is government and my co-habitation visa took more than 6 months to accomplish and I had all pertinent paperwork before applying... Don't worry like I said they are probably just awaiting paperwork.

Thanks for your post.
I got agreement from immigration office and now my passports are under visa stamping process in embassy of belgium in islamabad.
Do u know how much time they took for stemping visa on passports???
It will help me alot...
Thanks again for your help.:)

Sorry I have no answer as I was already in Belgium at the time...

No problem,
Thank you....