Getting a Visa "D" from the US

Hello, my name is Danial, and my family is planning on moving to Bulgaria at the end of the year. Is there anyone out there from the U.S. that has gotten a Visa "D"? What was the process that you went through and how much trouble was it? We are planning on going to Chicago to do our interview.

Thanks,
Danial

Hi I have a American in my village I will ask him and report back ASAP. It is a holiday till Tuesday her so it might take a few days.

Good afternoon there.  I picked up a visa D from Chicago also, 3 years back.  The hardest part for me was getting my criminal background check notarize correctly.  Of course it has to be notarized from the government and not the state you're from. I also order two copies of it because you end up using one somewhere in the process of all the documentation from there to Bulgaria. Sorry I can't remember where it gets taken.  But as far as meeting up at the consulate in Chicago to submit your application,  I didn't know what the timeframe would be in Chicago for them to interview and process my application so I took a week off to go out there but it literally took me five minutes to meet with the personnel out there and for them to accept the application.  They didn't ask too much questions.  If you have all the documents prepared and ready, there should be no problem.   They did a quick scan of the application to make sure everything needed is Field in and that you have all the necessary documents to go with it plus the pre-paid postage envelope.  I got mine back within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info. Where did you get the background check translated at? And what all paperwork did you need?