How much time to get a Permanente card in San Miguel de Allende

Hello!  I am trying to find out how long it is currently taking to get a permanente card at the INM in San Miguel de Allende.  We have our permanente visas from the consulate in the US and are planning on moving in July.  However, my husband needs to come back to the US on August 10th to help our daughter move into college.  We are trying to figure out our move date based on his being able to leave the country with his permanente card.   Alternatively, he could go down in June and stay until he gets his card and come back for the move.  Either way, we need to know how long it is taking.

This may be helpful to you. Your post indicates there may be some confusion. A permanent residence usually requires you "Have 4 years of regular status as Temporary Resident (2 years if legally married to a Mexican spouse or permanent resident) "
This site might make things clearer for you http://www.mexperience.com/living/immig … mexico.php

cmservin wrote:

Hello!  I am trying to find out how long it is currently taking to get a permanente card at the INM in San Miguel de Allende.  We have our permanente visas from the consulate in the US and are planning on moving in July.  However, my husband needs to come back to the US on August 10th to help our daughter move into college.  We are trying to figure out our move date based on his being able to leave the country with his permanente card.   Alternatively, he could go down in June and stay until he gets his card and come back for the move.  Either way, we need to know how long it is taking.

A permanente visa is a plastic card with a photo on it.  When I first read the rules and followed the progress of other expats, it turned out none of them could get a permanente with less than 4 years prior residence as a temporal except one person who had invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in a Mexican company.

Almost certainly, the final decision is up to the INM in Mexico.

When I applied for my permanente in Aug. 2013, I asked about a permit to leave and return one time while my application was in process because I needed to be in the US 10 days later.

I was told that the permanente would be back in time.  But just in case, a permit to leave and return one time would be issued the same day here in the office.

The permanente was back in less than a week here in Zacatecas.  Depending where you are going in Mexico, the time it takes for any process can vary greatly.  If you aren't absolutely sure your understanding is correct, it would be advisable to see the consulate again and ask specific questions.  Possibly find an expert in the consulate city whose business is to walk visa applications through the consulate process for those who don't understand Spanish completely.  If you are relying on what you were told or given in English, there may be a misunderstanding.

Most all residency visas from consulates only  allow you to enter Mexico for the purpose of completing the residency process which includes paperwork, photos, fingerprinting and payment of additional fees.

Again, any procedure can vary greatly in time and specifics depending on which location is handling it.

I hope this helps.

That is no longer the case.  We were able to get our permanente visas immediately as "rentistas" or retirees with proof of savings.  We did not have to go the temporal route first.

If you need to leave Mexico before receiving your card, go to INM and ask for a letter to exit the country. They can issue it that day.  Travel Permission Letter Fee: $332.00 pesos (to exit Mexico while your Residency application is being processed by INM)

That's good news for many people from all countries.

It appears you still have to complete the process in the normal way in Mexico.
If you can't get get your card in time to make the date you want to go back to the US, you should to get the one round trip permit the same day you apply as described by Joaquinx.

Once pre-approved you have 6 months to enter Mexico. Once you enter Mexico you have 30 days to start the process at your local INM office. Once I submit documents on your behalf, you will be finger printed in a max of 3 weeks and usually less. At that time we apply for a travel letter. That takes 2 business days and has a small fee. The travel letter will allow your husband to be out of the country for a maximum of 60 days from date it is issued.
Moderated by : Priscilla
Reason : No free ads here + register in the business directory

Sonia Diaz Ortega wrote:

Once pre-approved you have 6 months to enter Mexico. Once you enter Mexico you have 30 days to start the process at your local INM office. Once I submit documents on your behalf, you will be finger printed in a max of 3 weeks and usually less. At that time we apply for a travel letter. That takes 2 business days and has a small fee. The travel letter will allow your husband to be out of the country for a maximum of 60 days from date it is issued.

I guess that settles that.  Things take longer in SMA.

Well many places take a month or more such as Chapala.

Sonia Diaz Ortega wrote:

Well many places take a month or more such as Chapala.

I was just confirming a note posted that times vary a lot at different locations in Mexico.  I had replied that I had gotten my Residente Permanente card within a week in Zacatecas.  I didn't want to leave anyone should expect that level of service anywhere else.

When the new rules went into effect, I saw all sorts of horror stories from the D.F. and some of the Pacific Ports.

No criticism intended.

I've been told by the inm office at San Miguel that it will take 15 work days to get my permanent visa. Can anyone tell me how long it took them at San Miguel. It's been nine days and I've not been told to come back for fingerprints. I only have until 28 Sept to stay according to my FMM.

Brow9515 wrote:

I've been told by the inm office at San Miguel that it will take 15 work days to get my permanent visa. Can anyone tell me how long it took them at San Miguel. It's been nine days and I've not been told to come back for fingerprints. I only have until 28 Sept to stay according to my FMM.

You have turned in your "canje" FMM card and were given a form with your NUT number if you had a preapproved RP 6 month visa in your passport. The form you were given is your temporary immigration document and has no expiration date so use this while you are being processed until you have your RT visa/card in hand, not the 30 days from when you recieved the FMM card. Also the form has your user ID and password to check your processing on line at the website printed on the form. If you want drop by the INM office and ask : How it is coming along? and get an update in person all the better as sometimes they do not update that website or fail to e-mail you when wanting you for finger printing etc.

Thank you. Your information has been very helpful and a big stress relief. Thanks again

Based on last several hundred visas I have processed and as recent as today typically 5 weeks. Unfortunately, the printer was broken for a week and Paco who prints the cards was then on holidays but those issues are now resolved.You get an email after approx. 2.5 weeks which means you go on-line complete more info and I would wait 4 business days more.

Buen fin

Sonia

Thank you. I did received a message yesterday requesting i go on line and complete an update of my information which i did. Will wait 4 days as you advises and will contact the inm. Thanks again