Can I use my last name as Surname for my son

Dear members,

Hope all of you are keeping fine and in Good Health.....

We were blessed with a Son last month, at the time of filling-in the birth notification form we filled-in my sons first name along with my last name, the Hospital authorities recorded only first name on the birth notification and ignored the last name and Ahwal Madani also issued the birth certificate based on the hospital notification, but at the time of applying the passport we filled-in the application with the full name in the given name row, even though on the birth certificate only a single name was mentioned, the consulate people did not notice this and issued the baby passport  with the full name.

Now when I applied for a Iqama  for my son, the Jawazat Officer refused citing reason that name on birth certificate and passport are different and that I should change the name either in the birth certificate or passport, Ahwal madani refused to change the name in the certificate.

In this regard, dear brothers, please advise me as now if I change my son name is passport:
(1) can i use my last name as surname in my son passport and the name as per birth certificate as given name
(2) Do Jawazat will accept my last name as surname in my son's passport
(3) will they refuse as in my passport i have no surname but only a given name
(4) Or should I use only the single name as per birth certificate in the passport.

With thanks & regards,

Congratulation for the new baby.

Hope he will be lucky in his life not to have trouble from the beginning.

In my opinion, you should pursue changing the Birth certificate as it is really missing the correct information.
and don't just give up because they are saying they can't change it. This is so weird and not valid.

In all world, any birth certificate should has the full name of the person. Sometimes mistakes happens, crazy hospital !!

And did you ask your consulate about this mistake? Anyhow, a baby can has two certificates one from the residence country and the other from his country represented by its consulate in the residence country.

Try to issue him a new certificate and apply again for the Iqama.

Best luck

I have to agree with the Lion on both parts here.  Congrats on your son and take the time now to get his birth certificate corrected.

I've worked in the legal industry and the U.S. government for more than 30 years and know for a fact that having solid, easily confirmable identification documents, i.e., birth certificates and passport are key to maintaining your personal credentials at any age.  Discrepancies such as those you've described should not be avoided or shortcut.  Take the time now, while your son is an infant, to correct this.  While he is this young if it unlikely anyone will contest your right to correct his birth documents.  It should be as simple as presently both parents passports to the legal documents department at the hospital where your son was born.

I wish you and your family all the best for the future.  Please let us know how this works out for you.

Sincerely,

Rigger

I have the same issue the hospital had put only the first name and hence the birth certificate and eventually the passport only have the first name the sur name field is blank. Can u please advice that what have u done to rectify it?
How did you managed to change the name in the birth certificate from Ahwal Madini?