Relocating to PR

Hello Julien, I am recently retired and will be moving to Luquillo in a few months. I've been trying to find out excise taxes on my car on the website but no luck. I'm leaning towards the idea of just selling it here but I read conflicting stories of taxes on vehicles there and also the dangers of buying used. Is it true that there are no taxes on vehicles that are 1999 or older? My other option might be to ship an older vehicle which might be more worth my while. Thank you for any help you can offer I will be asking more questions soon as I am trying to find out as much info about my move that I can ....Johnny

Hi Johnny and welcome!

Like so many things in Puerto Rico the only way to get the information you need is to go there in person, in this case to the tax office in San Juan or Hacienda as it's called.
They should be able to tell you exactly how much you would have to pay for a certain vehicle. Now, if you go ahead and ship that vehicle don't be surprised if you end up paying less (unlikely) or more (likely) than what they told you in the office.

I would suggest to either buy a new car here or a not too old (< two years or so) used one from a good dealer (and not a second hand car seller) where you get a decent warranty. I'm sure that in the end that will be the cheaper solution.

Yes that's what I'm thinking its a difficult choice it's the nicest car I have ever owned a Porsche 911 but I think your suggestion is the way to go right now . Will be asking more questions on relocating thank you so much ...Johnny

The Porsche would take a serious beating in PR due to the state of the roads, the stop-and-go driving, the sun, and the salty air.

Honestly, I see so many old cars here, where the bodies are in perfect condition. A Porsche would not be in my top 10 list for a car, period, (but that's the best thing about being an individual, in a free society), but I am confident a well engineered German sports car,  can handle start/stop traffic, and "bad roads"? Drive responsibly and tour baby will be fine.

Yes, the roads are not in good shape. I'm referring to the potholes.

I semi agree. Depends on where you live and have to drive to. Some areas are better than others. It would be good to have as a cruising car and get another one for general driving. I only say that because if I owned a Porsche I'd hate to part with it.

It's a 2012 and what it can handle is not my worry it can handle anything! If you would ever have the experience to drive one and could afford it you would quickly change your mind . Having owned many cars in my life this one ranks as the best ... The roads here in New York are much worse anyway. But thanks for the input !!

I will say that I know of one already in PR. One of the partners at one of the dominant law firms owns one.

The following site will give you the import tax on used cars, which is 25% of the value of the car.  This is the official site which gives the PR view on car value.  I have used it to estimate tax on my cars and it has a relatively high view of used car values.

siscon.hacienda.gobierno.pr/Siscon/Portal/ARBAW951Form.aspx