Yellow tabien baan or yellow house book for foreigner

Can we share about this topic ?

Many will say that a yellow tabien baan is not an important document for foreigners, the legal value is very limited, it does not confer any additional rights.
Any comments ?
Do you hold one ?
Can you explain the process ?

Most foreigners owning a condominium or a house (separate from the land) will have a (empty) blue house registration book and not a yellow book.
Any comments ?

Foreigners married to a Thai national should have their name in the house book of the marital home.
Is that mandatory ?

For Thais a house book's primary function is that it states his or her place of legal residence (permanent home).

Well as my Thai wife and i live in a condo we rent, I don´t have the Yellow book, As i don´t want to ask my landlord for hes help, I am sure he say yes, If i ask him.

Next year we move to my wife house, Well it is her parent house they rent out, They have a few house they rent out, But it have all ways be her house when the time come and her parent is no more in this world.
But as she found me and we now married.
They give the house to us (Well her, but it sound good) so we can have our own house.
As i have no plan to buy a house.

So when we move there, i get writing in the house book, And get my Yellow Book.
It is pretty easy to get, If ones Amphoe do it correct and don´t try to get money under the table.

The Thai people o know, don´t go around and change what house book they put in, Many stay in the house book the born and live in.
I meet a lot of Thai people working in Bangkok for +30 years, And still there house book in back up north Thailand.

If you search on google for "thaivisa yellow book" there is a good guide there, Hope it is okay to write this.

Kindly.

cthierrymk wrote:

Can we share about this topic ?

Many will say that a yellow tabien baan is not an important document for foreigners, the legal value is very limited, it does not confer any additional rights.
Any comments ?
Do you hold one ?
Can you explain the process ?

Most foreigners owning a condominium or a house (separate from the land) will have a (empty) blue house registration book and not a yellow book.
Any comments ?

Foreigners married to a Thai national should have their name in the house book of the marital home.
Is that mandatory ?

For Thais a house book's primary function is that it states his or her place of legal residence (permanent home).

I have a yellow Tabien Baan, I live in a rented house.
Here is what I wrote about the process on my blog:

The Thai house book is a government document that is used to record who lives in a property and their relationship to each other and the property.

Thai people use the book to prove residency when required to do so by various government departments. It does not however have anything to do with proof of ownership of a property or land.

The book has either a blue cover or yellow cover. Blue is for Thai citizens and yellow for foreigners. You might view the Thai house book as being similar to the voters register in the UK.

There is no requirement in law that foreigners obtain a  yellow version of the Thai house book  but if they chose too the document can be obtained from the local Amphur Office (council). The process for a foreigner obtaining such a book can be a little frustrating since each office tends to interpret the rules accordingly.

Does an Expat really need a Yellow Thai House Book?

Since a house book, blue or yellow only proves residence you might therefore wonder if an expat really needs a yellow house book. The short answer is probably no,  since like I said above there is no law saying you must have a yellow house book.

But if you do not have a yellow house book, what about all the times you need to prove residency in Thailand? For example when applying for a Thai drivers licence, registering a vehicle and when applying for annual visa extensions. Add to that, buying a car on finance, applying for a work permit and some bank transactions, I'm sure there are more too.

Well there are in fact two other well established ways you can provide proof of address in Thailand that will satisfy various government agencies.

Firstly you can get a letter(in Thai) from your local immigration office stating where you live or secondly you can obtain a similar document from your own embassy and get it translated into Thai.  Incidentally despite these methods being official in neither case does anyone physically check your residence although the police are supposed to visit on behalf of Immigration if you choose the first method.

So is it an advantage having a yellow Thai house book?

Personally I would say yes it is an advantage to have a yellow Thai house book, even if only for the additional expense it saves you, given that Thai Immigration and Embassies like to charge a fee to produce letters on your behalf. Whilst a yellow house book is free(or very cheap) and photocopies are a few Baht. The book also provide you with a unique identification number, like a Thai persons ID card number and this can be used across inter-departmental computer records.

Do you have a yellow Thai house book? Do you think it is worthwhile getting one?

Note: Foreigners buying a condominium should find the property is issued with a blue house book, which I suppose makes sense given that a Thai citizen could at some point occupy the residence .

I have a condo in CNX. Use of house book - buying a car - no need to go to I/O.
Other - nil

I have a yellow Tabien Baan and I find I use it at least twice a year if not more.Always for Marriage to Thai Visa extension and recently to renew my Thai drivers licence (even as a witness at a friends wedding at the local Amphur).The advantage of having it far outways having to go to this office and then go and get that translated etc etc. Anytime you need to do something "official"  it will be what the Thais understand the easiest. You obtain it from your local Amphur where your house is located.It takes a while and be sure to take every other "official" document you can lay your hands on-in my case my husband needed to take the original title deeds of the property and of house ownership and also his blue Tabien bahn plus I took any paperwork I had including marriage certificate.As I say-take it all !!!(Make sure that anything in another language has been officially translated into Thai-except your passport-no need) PS My name is not in the Blue book of the house

Basically, I do not give a shit. I have not used my housebook for eons. I do not even know where to locate it.
I did use it once to buy a car.

Driving licence - I did not renew it - health reasons. I am happy about that. The less I have except $$$ the better.

I am not hear to debate. Do you suggest that I get a legal opinion before I post.

I was in a forum previously where throwing criticism was fair play. I understand hat this is not the purpose thereof. If you wish to debate, please do not include tours truly.

BTW - curiousity = if your name is not in the housebook what is its advantage to you.

Also, how long have you been in LOS & what are your experiences here?

Good luck, teeruk