Big Ticket items????

Can anyone give me a price or prices on Furniture, Appliances, TV's Mattresses and etc. Trying to compare purchases to shipping.
Just the basics!
Thanks
Almostthere

Almostthere wrote:

Can anyone give me a price or prices on Furniture, Appliances, TV's Mattresses and etc. Trying to compare purchases to shipping.
Just the basics!
Thanks
Almostthere

Furniture is expensive, as much as the US or more. There isn't much used furniture and it isn't as cheap, but if you get lucky and maybe find another expat who has to leave and sell everything for example, you might get somewhat lucky.
Appliances are a range. There is cheap stuff, $10 hot plate, little $100 stove, or a $1200 beautiful stove.
TV's and electronics - you can find pretty much everything but prices are similar to the US.
Mattresses, again, probably similar to the US.
Shipping is expensive though, so you might be better buying here. And, keep in mind, this is a HUMID CLIMATE! Much of the furniture from up north doesn't do well here. I heard about a family watching their IKEA furniture deteriorate before their eyes.

http://www.pricesmart.com/,http://www.doitcenter.com.pa/,http://www.conwaystore.com.pa/  few store sites that might be helpful

Thank you so much for answering my question, so the long and short of it is? That all of the items are about what they are in the states?
Thanks again
Marc

Yes, I think that's pretty accurate. You can save a lot here on housing, food, more of the daily expenses but getting set up in the first place is expensive for either shipping or buying what you need.

Kris

Almostthere wrote:

Thank you so much for answering my question, so the long and short of it is? That all of the items are about what they are in the states?
Thanks again
Marc

As long as you are just looking for the basics, buy in Panama.  I have had good luck buying furniture, etc. from those leaving Panama.  Many of those people were here just a year or two.  Groups, forums, and Craigslist Panama have ads regularly.

KristC..
Thank you, thank you for the store links. That will help me the most
in deciding what to bring.  :D
Ruth

One of my favorite stores for buying electronics like TVs and laptops or other items like cameras, printers, toasters, and other small kitchen appliances is Panafoto in the Multiplaza Mall in PC.  They sell some larger appliances.  The service is excellent. 

To view the Panafoto ad featuring their current specials, prices, and photos, search:  panafoto.com. 

*Panafoto accepts credit cards.

Another favorite store is the Do-it Center Hardware store.  There are many locations.  I mostly shop at the one in the Multi-Plaza Mall.  The store outside of the El Dorado Super Centro Mall is gigantic.  The El Dorado store is better when shopping for furniture and appliances since they have a larger display area.  They sell stoves, refrigerators,  freezers, microwaves, etc.  The Do-it center sells lawn & garden items like lawnmowers, flower pots, and patio furniture.  They sell power tools, standard tools, storage units, coolers, grills, and at Christmas time, artificial trees.  There is a nice selection of inexpensive furniture like recliners, wood cabinets, shelves, computer chairs, etc.  They also sell pet supplies, dog food, pots, pans, towels rugs and other gadgets.  Do-it Center has weekly sales.

To see for yourself what the Do-it Center Panama sells and the prices, search www.doitcenter.com.pa

*The Do-it Centers accepts credit cards and even has a rewards card.

Thank you Mary Ann.  I went straight to those websites
and it helped me immensely!  Love the Doit Center.
Now I feel more secure about not bringing some of my bigger
items. Sad, though, because I paid over $2000 for a washer
and dryer just 3 years ago. But I can probably sell them for
enough to cover new ones there.
I do have another question, it is about bringing jewelry (some
is kind of expensive). How do I get it there safely.
Thank you for your help,
Ruth

I did not bring any expensive jewelry into Panama.  I would think a good way to bring it in would be to ship it in with your household goods.  Wrap it up, separate it into small groups, and then stuff it in with some items like crafts or linens in tubs or boxes that you pack yourself.  Once the boxes or tubs are placed inside a crate and it is nailed shut, no one should have access to your items, at least not until they are delivered.  Bring your most valuable jewelry with you in your purse or just wear it. 

There is a really good blog/article on Panama For Real called, "Shipping Your Belongings versus Buying New in Panama".  It is under the header "More Tools and Tricks" @ www.panamaforreal.com  It is quite an extensive article as the author debates whether he should or should not have shipped a big container.

Also, on the PFR site there is a great article on PriceSmart.  It is under the header, "Nuts & Bolts".  You will see photos inside a PriceSmart and a description of shopping there that is very accurate.  I just joined a few weeks ago and everything was as described, right down to the $3.99 box of 12 donuts.  Panama City has 3 PriceSmart stores and David has 1 store.  PriceSmart sells some furniture and appliances.  They have a good selection of TVs and computers.  Just like Costco or Sam's Club, the big items change sometimes.  You can use a credit card at PriceSmart.

The PriceSmart website is:  www.shop.pricesmart.com/pa/en/

Moderated by Christine
Reason off topic

There are lots of stores with varying quality and prices but this site will give you fair idea.  (similar to Costco)
https://shop.pricesmart.com/pa/sp/
   I did not see a button to change it to English but there may be one somewhere.  But one thing you should know is that when they say "ahorre $40." (now $40.)  that means $40. off the price not that it now costs $40.

were you speaking to me......I am new to the site, and trying to figure out how everything works......My  apology, if you post was not directed to me......my mail is [email protected]   Tim

I have no idea.  LOL I was replying to someone. Another person I replied to a few days ago was upset with me because I didn't respond to her and told me she blocked me. I have no idea where these posts go, therefore!

Sheesh. If someone wants a response from someone in particular it's helpful if they say so using their name, or just send them a private message in case they don't see the question on the forum. I'm sure many of us don't keep a close eye on this site.

In general though it's kind of a free for all, and anyone who has questions and answers can post them. It does get confusing at times!

Can you tell me about David? I've read some negative things about it lately, like "expect to be robbed"????

Thanks!

Lindsey

Who says that??! We have been here 2 1/2 years with no problems and I've heard minimal stories from friends and neighbors. Quite a few folks in Boquete have been robbed though, mostly small stuff, electronics, grab things that will fit in a backpack sort of stuff. Mostly what we hear is David is too hot. I happen to like the warm climate. I like being in a city where everything we need is close by, and we can easily get to both mountains and beaches. The people here are great. It's not a tourist destination, not much touristy stuff to do but as a place to live, it's working really well for us.

To Lindsey G,
Don't always believe what you read. You need to be on the ground and experience it for yourself!
We agree with Kris...she should know.
David is a typical Central American city that is changing rapidly. Awesome airport and everything is there that you will need in most respects.
Cheers,
John

That's good to know. David is one of the places I want to visit when I come. Not sure when I'll get there. I have to have some major surgery done first, within the next few months I think. I'm looking forward to it. Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Lindsey