Iphone facetime

Wil my FaceTime be able to call the USA.

I FaceTime and Skype from Manila to Canada with my kids and grandchildren so I am sure you won't have any problems. But you will need a half decent wifi connection.
But I would suggest not to use your iPhone to call a number back home, I did and it cost me $4.00 per minute.

Réal D.

Facetime, with video, works well with a good connection, to anywhere in the world that has internet.  I use Facetime audio only, most of the time, as my internet connection is just an average Filipino one, slow, not much good for the video side.

My Australian mobile phone provider advises me that to call Australia from the Philippines using the normal mobile sim would be up to $12.89 per minute to send and $12.00 pm to receive a call while roaming.  Mobile data would be $51.20 per Mb if I used the roaming data option....  Scary stuff.  the only thing that is free, is receiving texts, sending them would be $3.50 each !!

But I use a local sim card for use in the Philippines.

Although Apple has said that sending or receiving a HD video requires a minimum  bandwidth of 1 Mbps.  I have found that to get past the voice-picture sync issues and voids on the voice side, my FaceTime to California became "normal" at or above 3Mbps via an iMac with PLDT connection……  Perhaps with a LTE iPhone/sim, you can have a normal FaceTime with Smart/Globe LTE service.

Yes. skype is easy for family connections, wherever you are in the world. calling via phone is much expensive.

Dreal1 wrote:

I FaceTime and Skype from Manila to Canada with my kids and grandchildren so I am sure you won't have any problems. But you will need a half decent wifi connection.
But I would suggest not to use your iPhone to call a number back home, I did and it cost me $4.00 per minute.

Réal D.

:)

You can purchase an oversea subscription on Skype which allows you to phone Canada from Skype.  It works out to about two cents a minute to call anywhere in the world

Yes, you are correct, I have used it for 5 years. If you want to invest another $30 a year you can get an online number for call backs. I use it for business, calls to my kids staying in touch.