State or Private Schools near Balzan???

Hi

We have arrived in Malta!!! I am looking for a state or private school for my 15 year old daughter. Does anyone have any idea which schools are in the Balzan catchment areas? I have searched the education Dept website but the school list won't open up......I think I have to make an appointment at the education department office so will try and find a phone number for that today. I was under the impression that the schools taught most lessons in english but have just read a piece saying only private schools do. Wondering if there happens to be a state school that favours english more then maltese, as the website states it is up to the individual state school.....
I was hoping to try and get my daughter into a school now for the last few weeks to try and make a few friends before starting the new year in September. I was favouring the state school as she desperately wants to try and learn the language and thought that being around more maltese speaking children would be better. Although I am assuming the private schools still have a  lot of local Maltese children attending more then the international schools. I attended school here as a child but I was a whole lot younger, so picked the language up very fast.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Catherine :)

Hi there.

I know this post was almost a year ago but I'm wondering how you got on with this? We are planning on moving from Ireland to Malta in the next few months and balzan is one of the areas we are looking at. My daughters are 5, 13 & 15. Worrying a little about how the older 2 are going to get on with the maltese language in school but they both are looking forward to learning it.

Hi

well it has definitely been a learning curve thats for sure. I love the Balzan area.Its very central to anywhere in Malta. I decided on the closest school(public) for my daughter. she had not long turned 15 and back in Australia was in her final year before the 2 senior years. As she was struggling a little back home with school work and coming to a school that had none of her electives she had chosen and had been studying already for 3 years, I decided to put in her a grade lower then where they wanted to put her according to age. She should have been put in form 5 but I asked them to allow her to go to Grade 4 instead. I had a few meetings with the principal who had assured me all classes would be in English except a couple which she didn't need to take. And of course Maltese class. Well that has not happened and Amanda has had a bit of a struggle with some classes. But as we were uncertain how long we were here for, I decided the experience was worth more. She has found a bunch of lovely friends (they all speak good english) and they have progressed with their english immensely since hanging out with Amanda. She has learnt a lot of Maltese too, mainly from her friends. She has enjoyed and has embraced the language and culture. She wants to stay living here now.....but unfortunately we may need to go back to Australia for a few years. She is attending St Theresa College, Mriehel, Which is in Balzan and fortunately only one block from where we are living. so very convenient. Not sure what type of schools you are coming from, but the school is a little run down looking. I think there are a few private schools around but nothing thats really close. you would have to drive or catch a bus.
When are you coming??? As school finishes here early July, but kids don't go to school much after the exams at the end of June. School then starts back last week of September. We didn't arrive in Malta until mid May  and the school said it was no use starting then and to wait. If I had my time again I would have insisted, as she became very bored with no friends. Fortunately the school called me and had her attend a youth group for 5 weeks in july/August. she made some great friends and even a couple that were in her class.
Not sure if that has helped at all, but please message me with any other questions and I will do my best to answer. You can email me privately if you wish.