Pedal bike vs. Scooter

Trying to decide between bike and scooter. What are your thoughts besides obvious? I get the idea that scooters are more expensive, needs petrol but faster and bikes are slow and sweaty... But, if I'll be in a hurry I'll be in a company's car, otherwise I don't mind slow pedaling.

Bikes are a great way to learn how the traffic works here - there are some very special 'rules' to travel by.

Second-hand scooters are available to buy at pretty reasonable prices, and petrol costs are low. You can probably zip around the centre of town all week for about $5 of fuel.

Looking for restaurant I river side
Plz email ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
Sharma pradeep wrote:

Looking for restaurant I river side
Plz email [email protected]

You are  :offtopic: 

This thread is about pedal bike versus scooter.

I suggest that you open a new thread regarding what you are looking for. 

Thank you.

Bought a used 3 speed japanese bicycle and could not be happier )

Nice! May I ask how much you paid for the used bicycle? And what's your source? Thanks!

Go to the Sok Hok & 182 there are two streets to the south of 182, Sok Hok and 111 selling used bikes there. The price is from $20, if you're a really good bargainer. I've bought mine for $50 with 3 speed internal gearbox and brakes working from the start. They promise to fix everything, but I had my doubts and decided not to mess with "japanese tech" )))

It seems like there are a bunch of bike shops along Sok Hok. Good to know the price range. Time to go hunting! :) Thanks much!!

Your biggest consideration is not bike or moto, because both leave u very exposed to the dangers of being on the streets of Cambodia. I am a very experienced bicycle rider. My longest ride is 1200 miles in various traffic and weather conditions. Never in over 30 years did I have an accident.
Yet, in 3 months of riding in Cambodia I was involved in two accidents. One was while  on my mt. bike and one as a passenger on a moto. Both resulted in face plants that did quite a bit of damage. The moto accident requited stitching around my right eye and forehead. It has been almost six months since that accident and my right knee is still not completely healed.
Neither accident was avoidable. The first involved 3 young students on a moto that were about to run into me and would have severely burned my leg. My efforts to avoid that fate ended up in the face plant. The second had 3 young guy on a moto. They fell over and their moto turned into a missile and hit our moto.
Net, net, walking is much safer yet still exposes u to danger, because of the poor driving capabilities of the general population.

Couldn't agree more. Don't have that much of experience, but driving motos throughout asia I can say Cambodia is the worst...

Hello expat fellows.
For information about buying used bike
You can search Facebook "Phnom Penh buy & sell"
Or "Buy & Sell Phnom Penh"
I found my self easily find the stuff that I wanted to buy. Hope it's helping, regards

Walking is as dangerous as it gets . You are on the lowest level of respect . Phnom Penh is very poor for pedestrian walking . bicycles are dangerous too . if you are REALLY conservative a small bike may be the best choice unless u dont travel far generally

As a reminder please install some torch and stop light right on ur bike,people here riding recklessly and in the night a lot of drunker driving really fast. Their motto is no drunk no go home!

i bought a scooter in 2013 after renting them for a year traveling throughout cambodia. ive traveled from siem reap to phnom penh throughout all of mondalkiri ratanakri and all the northern provinces to the lao border back down to phnom penh on to kampong som onward to kohkong to kmpot and kep. the most dangerous situation ive run into are dogs running to the highway when im going 85-90 kmph. the best thing to do is go straight and hold your breath. ive not been in an  accident yet but i  know its a matter of time. im moving to phnom penh august 25 and i think ill buy a car. if you want a  bicycle in SR go to the khmer market on road 6 on the way into town from PP. i dont know how to spell it but its pronounced Saloo market 25 meters past is a huge bicycle lot. new and used ive bought 2 new and 2 used bikes there all for locals who had no transportation  $45 for used and i spent $80 for new. motos are about $150-$200 cheaper in PP than SR for a new scoopy or dream and you can put it on the bus for $8 to bring it back to SR but i drove back to SR....looking out for dogs the whole way

safety wise im strangly comfortable driving in cambodia i get the whole flow and pace of whats happening. I find that Vietnamese, Thais and laos to be the worst drivers ive ever seen with HCMC the worst place to drive. keep in mind that 20% of cambodians are drunk during the day with that increasing to 50% from 5:00pm to 9:00 pm and im confident in saying 90% of all cambodians driving from 9:00pm to 5:00am are totally lit while 100% are totally faded on holidays