Canoeing is doable around Cabarette

Hi
Please advise, if canoeing is doable around Cabarette, rivers or ocean, makes it worth fighting to bring one down there from Canada? Or kayaking is the way to go ? I plan on moving there in the future.
Thank you,
Florin

Florin, I paddle strictly Whitewater or Ocean surf. I live 2.5 hours away from Cabarete in the mountains near Jarabacoa. This is Class II to V whitewater and only runnable by Whitewater specific boats. Near Cabarete there are some floatable streams, but getting a giant cruiser Canoe here would be costly and not worth the effort. There are very few Canoes in the Country. A company from Austria, Greabner (sp) makes inflatable Whitewater canoes. I have Plastic and 1 Inflatable K1. Again, I only paddle whitewater, and the bay at Cabarete is no place for a Canoe. Windsurfers, and now Kite Boards rule there. The Dominican Republic has hands down, the best whitewater of anywhere in the Caribbean. There is a 10,000 ft peak near where I live, Pico Duarte. Good luck ! If you paddle WW or care to go Rafting with Rancho Baiguate in Jarabacoa, come see us !

Hi Florin,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Dominican Republic forum. :)

I agree, leave the canoe back at home.

Bob K

Thank you so much Freddie, I will rent an inflatable sea kayak first to get the feeling and if all good fiber glass might be the way to go, if my joints will still be ok :)