€ v GBP

Try Transferwise, brilliant and charge £5 on every £1000 moved !

yes me too rob I keep checking my mail box lol

2010 in uk my postal vote arrived between 2nd and 3rd debate

I hate to sound obtuse but I really don't understand that post. when I still had money lol I transferred from Barclays. they charge flat rate of 20 quid. BOV charge nothing for less than 5000 euros. way I read your post is that BofS converted it first? which Is a bit weird not to mention a rip off as BOV pay full market rate prevailing on the day

redders_61 wrote:

but I really don't understand that post.

Ditto, any chance you could repeat what you want to say in coherent English?

lol just cos we don't agree on the referendum no need to be nasty. I genuinely didn't and don't understand the substance of your post. the grammar was fine, as is mine

money in UK bank...lets say 1000

transfer to a maltese bank  lets say to BOV

Barclays charged me 20 sterling to do that
BOV charge nothing to get it (under 5000 euros)

I assumed from your post that Bank of Scotland convert to euros then send it? which as you say is a rip off as local banks credit your account at full market rate on the day

I could do it from Barclays either by branch visit in England or internet banking or indeed telephone banking from over here.

Transferwise is excellent

Toon wrote:

Use them a couple of times a month to transfer pensions and they are very easy to use, quick and a very good rate.
Did a transfer yesterday (using UK debit card to pay them) and it is in our Maltese bank account this morning with a rate of 1.405.
Could not be easier and as Toon said they are excellent.

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Toon wrote:

Use them a couple of times a month to transfer pensions and they are very easy to use, quick and a very good rate.
Did a transfer yesterday (using UK debit card to pay them) and it is in our Maltese bank account this morning with a rate of 1.405.
Could not be easier and as Toon said they are excellent.

Ray

did the same myself yesterday at 430pm in my bank this morning

wow I had no idea what you were all on about. just checked it out. means it is cheaper and much earlier (now MYCSP has taken over) to get the pension money. for example at the end of this month I wont get my money till 6th may but I could have it on the 2nd using that process and only 0.5% charge. as far as I can work out Citibank (who have the CSP contract) charge about 2%.

thanks guys. I will change back to having it paid into my uk account and use transferwise to put it into BOV

just goes to prove I should read forum posts more often

I am working freelance and the company I get most of my work through are happy to start paying me in Euros, using the exchange rate on the day of the changeover to set the hourly rate for all payments moving forward. With the favourable exchange rate at the moment I am tempted to get it fixed while the going is good, rather than risk losing the value of my wages if the Euro strengthens. It's a big decision to make.

keep your pay in sterling and move to euros when the rates are favourable - simple really.

redders_61 wrote:

lol just cos we don't agree on the referendum no need to be nasty. I genuinely didn't and don't understand the substance of your post. the grammar was fine, as is mine

money in UK bank...lets say 1000

transfer to a maltese bank  lets say to BOV

Barclays charged me 20 sterling to do that
BOV charge nothing to get it (under 5000 euros)

I assumed from your post that Bank of Scotland convert to euros then send it? which as you say is a rip off as local banks credit your account at full market rate on the day

I could do it from Barclays either by branch visit in England or internet banking or indeed telephone banking from over here.

redders, all companies have slightly different fee structures and varying exchange rates. Bank Of Scotland charge me a £9.50 transaction fee for every international transfer. Interestingly, HSBC only charge me €1 to send money in the opposite direction. TorFX, the company I saw advertised on Bloomberg, charge no fee. The peer-to-peer transfer company I have started using, TransferWise, the same as Toon and F0xgl0ve, charge a 0.5% fee, so to transfer the equivalent of €4000 to Malta would cost around £14.50. But when you take into account the differing exchange rates quoted by all companies, TransferWise wins hands down.

My original post just gave the final cost of using each company to get €4000 into my Maltese bank account, that included the varying exchange rates and the fees incurred.

Bank Of Scotland - £3015
TorFX - £2982
TransferWise - £2918

All 3 options convert the sterling to Euros before the transfer, I'm not sure if it's possible to have the funds arrive in Malta still in £s. Even if it is, the local banks here will rip you off by buying Sterling from you at a crap rate.

I hope my Pigeon Jock-Speak is more legible for you this time.  :joking:

I wasn't originally sure if I was allowed to name the companies I used, in case it was classed as advertising, hence the P2P and Branson references which I left, in order to point you in the direction of TransferWise.

yes all makes sense now that I know what transferwise is and what branson has to do with it, I thought it was about virgin money or something lol (money for virgins lol) thanks once again everyone. btw Barclays transfer it in sterling and BOV converts at daily rate (as per the XE rate for that day) but a 20 quid charge is 2% of 1000

no sign of mine yet. anyway a (non party) point...today a poll puts Conservatives (referendum) 5 points in front and GBP drops to just over 1.37 (just in time for pay day :( lol)

It's could be double trouble for the pound if SNP win every seat in Scotland.  :nothappy:

What was that old joke, there are more pandas in Edinburgh zoo than Tory MPs in Scotland. It might have to be updated soon, more monsters in Loch Ness than labour MPs in Scotland!! WTF??

You would have got good odds from Ladbrokes on that outcome 2 years ago, how times change.

Mine hasn't arrived either this is why we need online voting because councils are useless

I too am still waiting !

robpw2 wrote:

Mine hasn't arrived either this is why we need online voting because councils are useless

at least we are not maltese they have to travel back to vote.

On An Island wrote:

It's could be double trouble for the pound if SNP win every seat in Scotland.  :nothappy:

What was that old joke, there are more pandas in Edinburgh zoo than Tory MPs in Scotland. It might have to be updated soon, more monsters in Loch Ness than labour MPs in Scotland!! WTF??

You would have got good odds from Ladbrokes on that outcome 2 years ago, how times change.

yes indeed as I said a few days ago..."the other side want to interfere to reduce strength of the GBP" To be fair the Eurozone has zero inflation, no longer deflation, so that didn't help either, psephologically speaking it is fascinating. no party has ever won every seat for which it has stood before

redders_61 wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

at this rate im gonna need to fly back with mine to meet the deadline lol

still time (public holiday here tomorrow though) last thing I posted to my son arrived in 3 days

robpw2 wrote:
redders_61 wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

at this rate im gonna need to fly back with mine to meet the deadline lol

ha ha drink some redbull then lol

redders_61 wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

What do you mean at least ?

Are you trying to say you wouldn't accept a state-subsidised €50 British Airways return flight to Gatwick for a long weekend jolly? Do a bit shopping, see the family?  ;)

they dont "have to fly back"

they will be forced by greed to accept the freebie and a jolly

Toon wrote:

As most missed the deadline to collect voting documents it simply was a state subsidised jolly

robpw2 wrote:
Toon wrote:

As most missed the deadline to collect voting documents it simply was a state subsidised jolly

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone.  :cool:

On An Island wrote:
robpw2 wrote:
Toon wrote:

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone.  :cool:

ha ha you lot

dropping again - now only 1.35

dropped 0.04 over the last couple of days

Toon wrote:

dropping again - now only 1.35

dropped 0.04 over the last couple of days

dropping faster than the proverbial underwear

mea culpa seems I was wrong, according to the sunday times yesterday the GBP dropped due to the slow down in growth announced last week. creeping up a bit today

a 4 cent bounce because of last night. I told you it would have an impact. other way round probably be about 1.25 now

redders_61 wrote:

a 4 cent bounce because of last night. I told you it would have an impact. other way round probably be about 1.25 now

That bounce surprised me big time. I thought that result would have been the worst possible outcome for the strength of the £ against the €, I expected it to slide further, but WTFDIK, it was a pleasant surprise. Long term, I don't think it's good news for the £ though. In a few years we may have to re-apply for residency in Malta as non-EU nationals.

On An Island wrote:
redders_61 wrote:

That bounce surprised me big time. I thought that result would have been the worst possible outcome for the strength of the £ against the €, I expected it to slide further, but WTFDIK, it was a pleasant surprise. Long term, I don't think it's good news for the £ though. In a few years we may have to re-apply for residency in Malta as non-EU nationals.

It might be sooner than that for you, if Scotland finishes up going independent as they have already been warned the country would have to reapply for EU membership!  (Mind you you would lose the GBP as well)

Ray
:joking:

Yeah it's looking quite unstable for the next few years, although the same could be said for most mainland European countries, Spain, France and Italy are all basket-cases too, so that might weaken the €. Or maybe even destroy it, that Le Pen woman makes Farage look like a cuddly toy.

I don't think there would be another independence referendum before the EU In/Out one, but if the UK votes to opt out and Scotland doesn't, that would be a surefire reason to have one.

Robert Peston and Nick Robinson will be quite happy though, increased job security for them, there's going to be a hell of a lot to write about. Interesting times.

We wouldn't have to reapply I don't think I suspect it won't come to the UK leaving but the changes the new govt want to put forward should enable them to stay ... Besides it won't be an automatic leaving they would have to set a timescale at which point I should get permanent residency lol

Thank you for telling us about  TransferWise.  We used this company last week and got a better rate then the Post Office which we normaly use. The only difference to TransferWise was it takes slightly longer then the Post Office  to come in to our bank in Malta.  The Post Office will transfer it in 24hour  in a working  day . They don't charge you for doing it but they give you a slightly lower rate.  We made 136euro' s extra from TranferWise  by not using the  post office. 
We transfer some money as the £ was fulling against the euro because of the UK Elections . But it seems to be going up since the Conservative party morjority win.
My husband checks the £ against the Euro every day and he has produced a graph for the last year on how the £ has become stronger against Euro.

hey everyone don't panic....firstly the topic..i was watching sky news coverage and as soon as the exit poll was announced the reporter said "that has seen a 2c bounce against the USD and also the Euro". The markets a. like stability and b. a continuation of some kind of austerity.

off topic..whether the UK votes to leave or doesn't vote to leave will have no effect whatsoever on Brit expats or indeed on expats in the UK. Those legally in a country will be legally entitled to stay. That is why I have always said Farage was trying to sell a lie.

we need a new thread on a "referendum" once the Tory Govt starts the process in the house of commons. the first and most important debate will be the actual question. "do you wish the UK to remain in the EU" great...."do you wish the UK to be an independent country outside the EU" not so good, trust me the wording of the question is hugely significant.

2nd argument will be the voter base,  I hope the UK one will have a base all of its own, ie register to vote separately. so that both expats can vote and EU citizens resident in the UK can also vote, unlike maltas hunting referendum.

redders_61 wrote:

..whether the UK votes to leave or doesn't vote to leave will have no effect whatsoever on Brit expats or indeed on expats in the UK.

none of us know - no country has ever left the EU, and so its up for negotiation - with apparently 2 million UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU, and 2 million living in the UK, common sense says it will be resolved, but if its a nasty "divorce" - we could be treated like any other TCN, and be asked to leave, possibly at the expiry of our eResidence cards, but, as I say, we dont know.

It would be very awkward for those UK passport holders who have never bothered to apply for an eResidence card !!!

I replied on the referendum thread :)