Cost of living in Panama – 2015

As I said, his opinion just seemed to be so negative. I've been sitting talking with someone (a stranger, even) when another person listening to us speaks up and says what a wonderful country Panama is. That's why his comments took me by surprise. I've never heard anyone say anything like that before. Surely not everyone feels the way he does. I plan to visit and make up my own mind if this lifestyle is for me, as I usually do. I only hope he doesn't turn out to be one of my neighbors!

Lindsey G. wrote:

As I said, his opinion just seemed to be so negative. I've been sitting talking with someone (a stranger, even) when another person listening to us speaks up and says what a wonderful country Panama is. That's why his comments took me by surprise. I've never heard anyone say anything like that before. Surely not everyone feels the way he does. I plan to visit and make up my own mind if this lifestyle is for me, as I usually do. I only hope he doesn't turn out to be one of my neighbors!

What area(s) interest you as a possible place to live?

@ 609
thanks and good to know - where would you go
please continue with your information
no where it's easy if you don't belong to the elite

Linsey G.

Panama is a wonderful country.  The people are friendly and easy going.  It is not politically correct like in the US. The country is beautiful.   There is truth to everything you will read on the blogs and forums because everyone's experiences will be different and each person will react accordingly and give their perspective.

I have lived in Panama for 8 months.  What I have learned is that most future expats do not want to hear the "bad stuff" about Panama.  People form a vision for what they seek and do not want to hear what will not fit the dream.  What others have said in this thread is correct information, as they see it.  It is what they have experienced in their location.  Krisc99 said once before, "There is Panama City and there is the rest of the country".   Each location in Panama will be different.

I understand what you mean by "no surprises".  I did massive research before the month-long exploratory trip.  I had "no surprises", meaning things like no shorts in the bank, broken sidewalks, some trash strewn around, noise, etc.  The wonderful surprises were there, too.  The super friendly people, modern stores, Panama's beauty, and the biggest surprise of all was falling in love with Panama City.

Since this thread is about the Cost of Living in Panama, I will focus on those comments.  Much of what Username609 said about food is true.  Imported foods are very expensive.    Favorite foods disappear, even in PC.  The stores seem to get items that no one buys back in the US stores.  If your favorite foods are chicken, fish, rice, potatoes, eggs, and bread, you can eat cheaply.  If you like frozen US brand foods, expect to pay for it.  As username99 said, a favorite food can disappear.  That has happened to us.  Food handling is another issue.  We have thrown out many questionable foods that we believe were defrosted and then re-frozen.  I found a TV dinner that had been left on a shelf.  It was warm.  I turned it in and the clerk just put it back in the freezer.  Expect to see small heads of lettuce because the stores remove the brown leaves and repackage the center. Bags of onions will contain green onions that were harvested too early.  Our food budget has increased steadily over the last few months.  Food waste drives up the food budget.  Every month prices increase.  We keep finding ways to offset the increased costs, like switching to powdered laundry soap.

Everyday in Panama is an adventure.  We call grocery shopping, "grocery hunting".  A month-long exploratory trip was enough to choose a location and decide if we could move here.  BUT, to know that you can live here permanently, one needs to live here for at least 6-12 months.  Don't sell the house or car unless you wanted to sell them anyway.  Do not ship household goods.  Rent a furnished apartment or minimally decorate an unfurnished house.  In PC the furnished apts include the toaster, dishes, pots, silverware, TVs, towels, and linens.  Just bring your suitcases.

Plan to bring lots of money and/or a credit card with a high limit to get started.

Rental deposits in PC are one month's rent plus the last month's rent.  In FL our apartment deposit was $250.  In PC our apartment deposit was $5,211.00.  The higher the rent, the higher the deposits.

The pensionado visa costs seem to vary by lawyer and what they include.  For us $2200 approx.  We have recovered over $800 of the cost by using it on Copa flights.  If using the pensionado just for movies and restaurants, it will take a long time to get back the cost of the visa.

This is just some of my reality living in Panama.  Panama is wonderful but like any country, it has its negatives.  People mostly want to hear the positives.  That is why IL is so successful.  The magazine knows what people want to hear and what they do not want to hear.  They focus on the positives because that is what sells. 

The only way to be sure, is to see and feel Panama for yourself.  Panama City is disliked by so many expats, but for us, we would never live anyplace else in Panama. We feel safe and the North American expats are diluted in PC and we like it that way.  Good luck in your decision.

PacificaMaryAnn wrote:

Panama City is disliked by so many expats, but for us, we would never live anyplace else in Panama. We feel safe and the North American expats are diluted in PC and we like it that way.  Good luck in your decision.

Great comments all around and hope people heed your advise (especially on renting for a year before going "all in.")  Also, I too would rather live in Panama City than anywhere else in Panama.

Linsey,
Well said and written.
You captured it very well. Life is what you make of it no mater where you are!

@ PacificaMaryAnn
what do you mean by this "It is not politically correct like in the US"
otherwise nice post

Opposite of "politically incorrect", purplebox. 

BTW, online dictionaries are free.

@ PacificaMaryAnn
this is your own text: "It is not politically correct like in the US"
please post just one example of US political correctness

Moderated by Christine
Reason: inappropriate comment

Come on guys ! Can we please concentrate on the initial topic ?

Thanks,

Julien

Moderated by Christine
Reason: off topic + inappropriate comment

Thank you SO much. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am not afraid of hearing the negative along with the positive. I just don't want it all to be entirely one-sided. I don't eat a lot of "frozen" dinners and such, so I won't be too worried about that. I have a feeling my diet will transition to what is available that I enjoy eating.

I don't understand about the cost of the visa, so if you could explain that a bit more, I would appreciate it and how using Copa comes into play. I'm doing all the research I can beforehand. I don't plan to do anything but visit first and I'm certainly not selling my mobile home here. I may even keep it, even though I would still have to pay lot rent, because it would give me a place to come back to which would be cheaper than a hotel, for sure.

Thanks, again!

Lindsey

Lindsey G.

Copa gives a 25% discount on flights when you have the pensionado visa.  The more flights you take, the more money you will save.  My husband flies back to FL every 2 months so we save a lot on the trips.  I will send you my personal email if you have any questions that I can help you with.  I have requested to be unsubscribed from this forum due to the very confused purplebox that enjoys spoiling threads. This is my final post on expat-blog.

OK, thanks!

I will miss your "hands on " info Pacifica Maryann. Don't give in to negative jerks.

where did you get your health insurance at?  One insurance company wanted $1200.00 per month.  Obviously a deciding factor on whether or not I make the move.  Thank you. Ron Bishop

Lindsey Try looking at areas around Boca Chica.  It's about 45 minutes from David on the Atlantic coast.  Very affordable

Thanks! Will do.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of external links not allowed on the forum.

Thank you for this information on public/farmers' markets.

Does anyone happen to know if there is one in San CarlosPalmar?  or nearby? If I select this destination, I  will be on a strict budget , and cost of food is an important factor....In the same vein, is there a lot of organic produce at such markets?  I have heard that the public/farmers' markets in David, for example, are excellent, and I wondered if something similar might be found in the San Carlos area.  Any information would be most helpful.

Sorry to see you go. honest realistic blogs that give a balanced view of the plus and minus aspects of an area are what are needed. one sided views which reflect someone who is very disillusioned or very enthusiastic have their place and provide matters to think about but do not allow an informed decision on their own. For my part I would want to have discourse with those who live in the area, can explain what is good but also cover the matters that are not so good.
I am in Australia, so a decision to move so far is more difficult to make, it is very costly and not easy without being able to get a balanced and honest view. I intend to do an investigative visit before settling on a move but need to feel that it is worth making a move for a number of reasons, cost of living not being the only consideration, but in reality we all like to save money if we can.
I would to make some expat contacts who can assist with information.

Petesh,
Have you checked out other folks Blogs  under the community heading listed on this site?
That is one way to connect with folks already here.
Our blog is:
https://latitudeadjustmentblog.com/

A word of advice, any questions you have for bloggers can easily be found here  by doing a search as all the major questions about moving here have been covered several times.
Also check out this site and get his book.... he covers Panama...the good and the bad.
https://richarddetrich.com/

Good luck.

There are lots of negatives about Panama.  Yes, I complain sometimes.  Usually in discussions with Panamanians who have the same complaints.   :)   The bottom line is that I have been here for 16 years this time, so I must like it.  I am also sure I could be just as happy back in the U.S.  It would take some adjustments.  But I had to make changes to make the move here too.

Most costs I have don't relate to others.  I rent a room with utilities included. I also work 2 jobs.  one away from home and one at home. Food cost vary a lot depending on if I am at work, eating out, or at home, cooking myself.  Nevertheless, I will give some costs that I do pay.

Bus Fares
They are 25 cents regular buses or $1.25 for toll road buses
You can save 25 cents if you are catching another bus within a few hours by swiping your card at the exit door.
Metro tren
35 cents one way no matter how far.
Taxi
You can check the ATTT site for a rate chart to determine the correct fare.  Minimum is $1.25
Gas
This depends on whether you use small tanks, big tanks, or get the gas through a buildings supply pipes.  So $5. to $15. per month, or more if you use gas for hot water.
Electricity
We use minimal electricity so about $30. per month.  Previous owners averaged about $500. a month.
Food at home
About $75. per month.  Mostly veggies.
Food out
About $40. per month.  Sometimes comida corriente and sometimes something nicer.
Maid
I am the maid.  I get $200. a month off rent of $400. a month.
Clothing
I like to dress well for work so I budget $30. a month for this.  I shop at Ropa Americana shops so I get nice clothes for little money.
Cell Phone
I buy a $15. card which gives me $75. in calls.  Using Whats App, Skype, and Magic Jack also.  So I spend about $100. a YEAR for all calls.
Travel
I do go to the U.S. at least once a year.  I wait for best fares, I get 25% off the base fares because I am a resident and tercera edad.  The past two years it has cost me from $250. to $400. for round trip. 
Medical
No insurance.  On average once a year I need medical help.  My visits have cost from $30. to $80.  I get various discounts at the hospital or clinic because I am tercera edad.

I can't compare my costs here to the U.S. really because I have lived here for 19 years.  All I can say is that I spend the same amount on food in the U.S. as I do here. 
   It's a tight budget but necessary.  Salaries are low here.

Lapuja,
Wow that is a vert tight budget.

@Cold Canada

There is a municipal farmers market in the town of San Carlos. It sells produce as well as meat.  The market opens most days around 7 am.  It is located on the main street in the town just before the park. There are also numerous small fruit and vegetable stands along the Pan American highway.

Hello! we are thinking about moving to Volcan.  We are a family of 5 with 3 small children. What do you think the food cost would be for a family our size eating a very simple, local diet?

all these remote areas are nice but boring