Job offer

Hi guys,

I am writing here cause the French forum is empty and I need real advises.
I am 31 years old and I am married with 2 girls (1 year old..twins).
I got an offer for a job in SP for 120 000 annual...I am trying to get more but it is not easy.
I am currently in Belgium and I know I will have to spend for our social security and pension,transportation....
Currently I am earning 4000 gross (around 2700 net) plus company car, insurance hospitality
My question are :
- is it enough?
- does it make sense to move there for this amount?
- what type of accomodation and location you advise me for my family

Thanks a lot,

So u mean $SGD 120,000 annually?
Which is $SGD 10,000 monthly? It is more than enough.

Yes that is it.
But on one other forum they mentioned it is not enough...I am really lost..

Accomodation would be about $1,500 to $4,000 a month (Depending on your choice).

Transportation wise, the public transport takes you everywhere in Singapore (Just a bit crowded). Cost about $100 to $300 per head.

Food in Singapore depends on if you Cook or dine outside. If Cook, a family of 5's Grocery shopping is about $800 to $1,000 a month. If you dine outside about $1,500 to $2,000 a month for a family of five.

Anything else that I miss?

The above poster missed the most obvious (and huge) expense for a foreign family with kids: School fees and car.
At international schools and kindergartens, these run at S$1500-3000/month per kid. At the age of your twins, a local (private or non-profit run) child care centre will cost S$1000-1500/month per kid.
Having a car in Singapore is ridiculously expensive. If you really cannot do without (which I would recommend), budget S$1500-2000/month for all running costs - and that is AFTER you buy a (new) small Japanese car for about S$100000 (no typing error - this includes a 10-year license to own it, the so-called CoE).
Also the apartment rental options at the lower end of the abovementioned range are probably a bit bare-bone for new arrivals from the West. Better budget S$2500-5000 for accommodation.
Also note that there is no compulsory social security, pension or health insurance system for foreigners. Whether you put money aside for these purposes, how much and where you do it is up to you.
Now, you decide whether s$10000/month is enough or not. It is certainly above the average Singapore household income (which is around S$8000/month, but locals don't rent and pay lower school fees). For any level you will find people who claim it's not enough - and others who live happily with half of it!

Thanks guys....
I see you are from Germany...
based in your experience do you think it is a good move...I am only talking about the salary compared with I am earning here in Belgium

Thanks

As I said, only you can decide what is suitable for yourself. I moved with a lot less and it was good, but that was in 1996, I was young, single and adventurous. Things might look very different from another viewpoint. Do remember, though, that money is not a major part of the decision (as it, in the end, won't determine whether you're happy there or not)!

Thank you Beppi, but I didn't Missed on Transportation. I did talked about the public transport. And even stated clearly that one can take the public transport if they don't mind the crowd.

Also regarding education, I did Missed on that but its because I have no idea on the cost of it. Ultimately, its the individual's choice whereas to enrol their kids to either an international school, an independent school or a government school.

Just to clear the air, I have a friend on an Employment Pass who is blessed with 2 little princesses and is able to live comfortably on an income of $5,000 a month. His wife is not working.

If its possible for a Fiv-er, then a Ten-er is also possible.

ULTIMATELY, ITS YOUR CHOICE :)

Thank you.

FahmiACCA: My comment was not meant a criticism of your post (which is welcome and helpful). I apologize if it came across as such.
To add onto your latest post: Unfortunately the (less costly) government schools have a place distribution system geared against foreigners, thus most have no other choice but to send their kids to international or private schools. This does not apply to kindergartens and child care centres, though, so will only affect the OP in a few years.
And your friend who lives comfortably on S$5000/month just proves my point: For any level you will find people who claim it's not enough - and others who live happily with half of it!

Hey Guys,

I am finalizing the process and I received a final offer :
145k annual plus 40 k target based.
The health insurance is not for my family only me.
What would the cost for that for my 2 daughters and wife?
How much do you spend for your pension ?

Please i need your feedback asap.

Cheers,

moderated by Christine
Reason: off topic + start your own topic with a proper introduction

The average Singapore household (which is a couple with one kid) has an income of around S$10000/month. With your target bonus, you are above that, BUT:
- locals do not pay rent (which will be your biggest single expense, at S$3000-6000/month), since they usually own government-subsidized HDB flats
- locals pay negligible school fees at local schools (which are difficult to get into for foreign kids, and international schools cost S$1500-3000/month per kid)
This is to show you that health insurance and pension savings should not be your biggest worries.
But to answer your direct questions:
- There are very cheap local health insurers (e.g. NTUC Income), which come with restrictions like exclusion of dental and maternity treatment, no coverage abroad, only emergency and hospitalisation cover, maximum payout per year or over your lifetime. So read the fineprint and decide for yourself!
- There are international Expat health insurances, which have similar coverage and cost as to what you are used to in Europe. Contact an insurance broker to guide you through the jungle of available policies.
- You cannot participate in CPF, Singapore's domestic pension and social security (in fact: forced savings) scheme. There is no local market for pension schemes, so you'll have to find an international one - or just save on your own (this is what I did).

beppi wrote:

The average Singapore household (which is a couple with one kid) has an income of around S$10000/month. With your target bonus, you are above that, BUT:
- locals do not pay rent (which will be your biggest single expense, at S$3000-6000/month), since they usually own government-subsidized HDB flats
- locals pay negligible school fees at local schools (which are difficult to get into for foreign kids, and international schools cost S$1500-3000/month per kid)
This is to show you that health insurance and pension savings should not be your biggest worries.
But to answer your direct questions:
- There are very cheap local health insurers (e.g. NTUC Income), which come with restrictions like exclusion of dental and maternity treatment, no coverage abroad, only emergency and hospitalisation cover, maximum payout per year or over your lifetime. So read the fineprint and decide for yourself!
- There are international Expat health insurances, which have similar coverage and cost as to what you are used to in Europe. Contact an insurance broker to guide you through the jungle of available policies.
- You cannot participate in CPF, Singapore's domestic pension and social security (in fact: forced savings) scheme. There is no local market for pension schemes, so you'll have to find an international one - or just save on your own (this is what I did).

thank you very much ...i will try to negociate health coverage for all my family

The health coverage provided by your company is most likely the kind I described as "local" above - i.e. with several restrictions and exclusions. There is no standard in Singapore (and no compulsory minimum coverage), so do read all fineprint in detail!