Cost of living Brussels, Belgium- 2015

Hello everyone!

I am considering job offer in Brussels with 30000 Net salary/year. additionally a health insurance.
We are a family of 3, with 1 baby, 6 months old.
Wife is non-working
Work place is near Vilvoorde station

I would  like to know your opinions on certain details:
1.    Is this salary enough to live comfortably? Planning to rent an apartment near Etterbeek
2.    How much is the average cost of food and baby care, including vaccinations and doctor?

I searched other Q&A and found other details but did not get this information.

Thanks a lot for your help

VinitP wrote:

Hello everyone!

I am considering job offer in Brussels with 30000 Net salary/year. additionally a health insurance.
We are a family of 3, with 1 baby, 6 months old.
Wife is non-working
Work place is near Vilvoorde station

I would  like to know your opinions on certain details:
1.    Is this salary enough to live comfortably? Planning to rent an apartment near Etterbeek
2.    How much is the average cost of food and baby care, including vaccinations and doctor?

I searched other Q&A and found other details but did not get this information.

Thanks a lot for your help

-> YES. In a normal person's definition of comfort :)
-> 1 bedroom apartment will cost you around 700-800 or so and 100-150 extra in charges + electricity and internet

-> Food cost is discussed in many threads (Example: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 11#2428878)
-> Vaccination and doctor is covered by your mutuality (aka medical insurance). So practically not much spending there.

Regards
Aneesh

Some other threads also where you may find useful info: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 96#2443775

Hi,

You mean baby care in a creche? If it is with the state creches (I think they are called O.N.E), then it is income dependent and for that income, here.
But you may also qualify for the family allowance of about 90 euros and the tax deductions annually.
Don't really know about the private creches in brussels, but they are obviously more expensive.

Drew

Private creches can be cheaper or more expensive than K&G or ONE subsidised creches, looking at your income being above average, you'd pay maximum K&G / ONE creche prices so private creches are likely to be less expensive for the cheapest ones.

It's not normal for a child to be in creche with a non working parent, you simply won't get a place in a ONE/K&G creche anyway with a non working parent, it hard enough to get a place when pregnant and 2 working parents, priority goes to working parents and you really need to reserve when pregnant, outside those parameters, getting a subsidized creche place is very difficult.

Vaccinations are free. Doctors cost from 1 euro to whatever you want to pay, you claim back under mutuelle insurance just over 100 per adult per year, children no subscription costs.

Food costs from 30 euro per head per week, depends on your tastes and budget.

Your salary is about double average, you'll live very well.

Thank you aneeshks, tervurener and DrewTheBear for your help :)