Moving to Norway to be with partner, advice needed please :)

I am a New Zealander currently working in Europe on board a yacht. I took an exchange year to Norway during my last year of high school 5 years ago. Whilst there I met my current partner (although we have only been seeing each other for the past 9 months). I have been making regular weekend visits to Norway to see her, and things are going well.

In the near future (10-12 months) I would like to move to Norway to be with my partner, however I run into a few roadblocks. The past 9 months we have not lived together, as I work abroad and travel a lot, so would not be able to be considered for any cohabitant visa. I also do not have a university degree, so skilled worker visa is out of the question. We are also not wanting to get married yet (heck, its only been 9 months!!), and especially not just for the sake of a visa, so that is not an option.

I am 22, so could always apply for a working holiday visa, which would be a good way to be together for a year and see how compatible our relationship is while we live together. But if all goes well, what visa can I apply for to stay?

I have looked on UDI and have exhausted all options I can see, was hoping for a glimmer of advice!

Basically I would like to live in Norway with my partner, and work.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Hi jessewilliams,

welcome to the forum!
There have been multiple threads from people in similar situations like yours.  So I suggest to browse a bit through the visa section and see what answers you can find.

You could always come on a 90 day tourist visa (no work allowed) and if things work out well apply for a fiancé visa (you can work). This will give you another 6 month but you must get married during this period.
link: http://www.nyinorge.no/en/Familiegjenfo … -marriage/

Alternatively, you can come as a student with a student visa....

As an unskilled worker that doesn't speak the language I fear that you basically don't have any options. Coming as a student is your best bet at this point.
Do you have a trade? Eg. Carpentry

I think the work/holiday visa would be the best option for you